Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel split vinyl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for about a month now, and recently discovered a small split in the underside of the vinyl of my steering wheel.

I have a scheduled mobile repair estimated at $653.38. The technician will determine at the time of the appointment whether this is covered under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this? I searched the forum for similar instances but couldn't find any. I did not produce this damage knowingly and can't figure a scenario that might have caused it.

Attachments

• IMG_8072.jpg
    IMG_8072.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 75
Are you sure it wasn't there when the car was delivered to you? Stranger things have happened during "dealer prep."

I actually wouldn't push TOO hard for warranty replacement, though. It can probably be fixed with over-the-counter vinyl repair, rather then a wholesale replacement of the entire wheel. You're still building a relationship with your SC, and you might need a more valuable good-will gesture from them later.

img_8072-jpg.635930

I've had my Model Y for about a month now, and recently discovered a small split in the underside of the vinyl of my steering wheel.

I have a scheduled mobile repair estimated at $653.38. The technician will determine at the time of the appointment whether this is covered under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this? I searched the forum for similar instances but couldn't find any.
I did not produce this damage knowingly and can't figure a scenario that might have caused it.
I read about a similar problem in a previous tread few months ago,
and when I looked at this thread MY with new console spotted today
I immediately looked at the steering wheel and noticed this thick plastic cover.
I imagine that a cuter might be needed to remove it.

Note: I read this thread before reading your thread mentioning the steering wheel cover cut.

img_0220-jpg.635908

Last edited:

Has anyone else experienced this? I searched the forum for similar instances but couldn't find any. I did not produce this damage knowingly and can't figure a scenario that might have caused it.
I am in an loaner an seen it on the steering wheel too