Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone swapped out the older style model S steering wheel with a new one? What I mean is... the newer ones seem to be made of a different material. I have a 2014 and the material is kind of shiny and slippery. I look the look and feel of the newer ones that are more of a matte finish. Thanks.

I've replaced the steering wheel myself and do believe it is a high-yield diy mod because it is a daily touchpont of the vehicle. The leather gets shiny and slippery pretty fast with use and maybe skin moisturizer and/or leather cleaning products. I do not believe there is a newer design, it's just new leather (unless it is now also vegan material)!

The install is easy with the proper tools:

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Try saturating paper towels in Simply Green and wrapping your wheel in them for a little while. It pulls a great amount of oils out of the leather. Wipe it with 91% ISO Alcohol and you may remedy it some!
Steam also worked for me as a maintenance method. Always be careful not to dig into the material or use too much heat

Reactions: S-ALSET
So I have a steamer we use for cleaning grout. I can confirm that the slippy shiny wheel I have, is supposed to be matte black. After about 20 minutes of steam cleaning, the grease and shine are gone and the steering wheel looks new.

So when I bought this item I wasn't sure if it could be customized even though the description made it sound like you could. I clicked the buy now button and in my message to the seller I asked for alcantara sides, leather top and bottom and a red stripe at 12 o clock with red stitching. A day or two later I get a shipping notification. I thought there's no way they could have made a custom wrap that quickly but sure enough, it arrived last week and it's exactly what I ordered. Crazy thing is I ordered March 19th and it landed on US soil (from China) on the 23rd! It spent almost two weeks clearing customs etc so I didn't receive it until the 5th but kudos to the seller for such a fast turnaround. I am looking forward to installing it. I have a similar wrap on my VW and it's great. I'll let you know how the installation goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_163514.jpg
    IMG_20190409_163514.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20190409_163652.jpg
    IMG_20190409_163652.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 171
I've replaced the steering wheel myself and do believe it is a high-yield diy mod because it is a daily touchpont of the vehicle. The leather gets shiny and slippery pretty fast with use and maybe skin moisturizer and/or leather cleaning products. I do not believe there is a newer design, it's just new leather (unless it is now also vegan material)!

The install is easy with the proper tools:

rpmtesla.com website is no longer in service. Where to get this done now.?

Awesome Bigdave! Hope it turns out great! I would love to see some pics of it done. Also please let us know how much time it took to install.
Sorry about the delay in my reply. I only just got round to installing this today. It actually turned out great considering I only paid $40 for it. Sure if you look close there are some edges that aren't perfect but it's very very good and a fraction of the price of a full re-upholstering. I took my time with it and took off the airbag so that I could really tuck in the excess material. I also wrapped the black trim in carbon fiber vinyl because it had started to peel a bit. All told from taking out the tools to putting them away it took around 4 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_014516.jpg
    IMG_20190818_014516.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 157
This looks awesome! Is there really double sided tape that holds it in place? Do you feel the thickness of the tape, or the original seams through the cover?
So I had done a similar wrap on my previous car (VW GTI) and did not use any tape. I didn't use any tape this time either except for at the 6 o clock position just to keep it from sliding. It's not totally necessary and you'll actually need to manipulate the leather a bit to get it to sit right which you won't be able to do if you use the tape because it's extremely sticky. I also didn't want to leave a residue in case I decided to remove it later down the line. The tape provided is extremely thin so even if you did use it you won't be able to see the outline through the thickness of the leather.

Also, the seams for this wrap are in exactly the same position as the seams on the original wheel so you hardly can see the original lines through it. I was very impressed for the price.

Reactions: IchDochNicht
How has this wrap lasted over the last few years? Has it stood up to the sun, hand oils/dirt, and cleaning?

I've had this sitting in my garage for over a year now and want to install it but was curious as to its durability, especially because the PU Leather ear pads on my headphones as well as a PU Leather jacket I have have peeled pretty badly over time and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be having to re-do this frequently.