Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Vibration at High Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 75D - vibration with oscillating frequency between 80-90mph. Only felt on steering wheel, no associated sound.
Had the SC do a balance and tire rotation. Didn’t fix it.
Next, Had the SC lead tech out for a test drive. He confirmed the vibration but said it was minor, that I was sensitive to vibrations like him because I like to race and that we would just be throwing money at the problem without any guarantee of fixing it.

Basically said all cars have some vibration, that the smooth and quiet ride of the Tesla makes even small vibrations more apparent and that the best he could do is try a Roadforce balance.

My thoughts:
Tire rotation: unless one of the rear tires had pretty much the same Rim/Roadforce issue as one of the front tires, the tire rotation should have moved the vibration to the rear where it would not be felt in the steering wheel.

Front bumper dam: no associated noise with the vibration. Wouldn’t this rule out this potential cause?

It seems logical that if moving tires/rims during rotation did not effect the vibration, the source was not the tires/rims. That if the vibration didn’t change than the problem was not touched during the tire balance/rotation.

With this in mind, I wonder what else would cause the symptoms I am experiencing? And if I wait, will it get worse and make spotting the culprit easier? Time will tell.

Just sent my '15 Model S in for "acceleration shudder" and had the LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts replaced. Had the same issue on our Model X last year. Vibration wasn't as bad as the X was but I'm glad they replaced it under warranty. Hoping it's a permanent fix!

Reactions: Jthavoc