Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Vibration at High Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a two month old Model S 100D. At higher speeds [75+mph], the steering wheel has a noticeable vibration. I have brought it into the Service Center twice.
The first time they fixed the alignment but it still vibrated.
Second time I went for a drive with a tech and he clearly documented the problem. They then balanced all four tires.
The problem is still exists.
Its getting quite frustrating for a new car to have this problem with multiple trips to the SC needed.
Any ideas?

I have a two month old Model S 100D. At higher speeds [75+mph], the steering wheel has a noticeable vibration. I have brought it into the Service Center twice.
The first time they fixed the alignment but it still vibrated.
Second time I went for a drive with a tech and he clearly documented the problem. They then balanced all four tires.
The problem is still exists.
Its getting quite frustrating for a new car to have this problem with multiple trips to the SC needed.
Any ideas?

There was a service bulletin where they put a foam insert behind the bumper for refresh cars. I took mine to about 120mph after I got the car and no vibrations so I assume I'm all good.

I had two similar issues. The first was a steering wheel vibration above 80 MPH. This was apparently a balancing issue and a "road force" balance corrected the situation. The second was a whole vehicle vibration between 60-70 MPH. This required replacement of the drive unit, rear shafts, and all four air struts. And I drive like my 73 year old mother. Thank god I have the extended warranty!

Eh ...Its almost always a balance issue. I have yet to find a car that comes from a dealer with perfectly balanced tires. You want that you have to wait for 200 miles of breaking in the tires and then go to a tire shop with a RoadForce balancing tool, and politely emphasize to them that you want it perfect. Then, while the tech.s are doing the actual work, quietly call him over slip him a $20 and tell him you'd like them perfect. So long as your rims aren't bent, you will likely get it perfect. No more vibrations.

After my third visit to the local SC I am still having the problem. They claimed they switched the OEM Goodyears with Michelins and the problem was worse even though they are dying there is no problem!?
How and to whom can I escalate this issue to get it resolved? Is there a corporate contact email or number I can use to get someone to help? I have no faith in the local SC.

I’m trying to better understand a similar problem here. For the vibration you guys are seeing, is it constant (i.e. the same amplitude second-to-second)? The effect I’m seeing seems to come and go at 5-10 second intervals while driving at a constant speed, and is noticeable on a smooth asphalt freeway surface.

Thanks!
Oliver

I’m trying to better understand a similar problem here. For the vibration you guys are seeing, is it constant (i.e. the same amplitude second-to-second)? The effect I’m seeing seems to come and go at 5-10 second intervals while driving at a constant speed, and is noticeable on a smooth asphalt freeway surface.

Thanks!
Oliver
As OP said , ensure lane departure warning is off in Driver Assistance Settings. The Tesla system feels different from all others and is often confused for alignment balance issues.

In my particular case, it was a constant vibration if you held your speed above 75 mph or so. It felt the strongest at 82-83 mph, to the point where you could feel it shaking the steering wheel and the front passenger could feel it. It definitely felt like something was wrong. Service center went for a ride and agreed. They replaced the half shafts and it was MUCH, MUCH better and I felt like it was in the "normal" range. I could still feel it very slightly but wasn't sure if it was the uneven road or my my imagination. After I got new tires and had it aligned and balanced it got even better and smoother. This is on a dual motor S.

In my particular case, it was a constant vibration if you held your speed above 75 mph or so. It felt the strongest at 82-83 mph, to the point where you could feel it shaking the steering wheel and the front passenger could feel it. It definitely felt like something was wrong. Service center went for a ride and agreed. They replaced the half shafts and it was MUCH, MUCH better and I felt like it was in the "normal" range. I could still feel it very slightly but wasn't sure if it was the uneven road or my my imagination. After I got new tires and had it aligned and balanced it got even better and smoother. This is on a dual motor S.

This is exactly my issue! It is not the Lane Departure System. I'm bringing it into a tire center today to exhaust the possibility that it is the tires. I'm just frustrated that my SC at first agreed the vibration was there and now they say it is fixed.

I also had the vibration which was solved completely with the foam stiffener behind the front fascia. It started at around 50 mph or so. Cold weather made it worse as did speed. One day at 70 into a strong headwind and a 5F temperature I thought the car was going to vibrate to pieces. I don’t use lane departure warning and as I said the problem was completely solved with the foam.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Eh ...Its almost always a balance issue. I have yet to find a car that comes from a dealer with perfectly balanced tires. You want that you have to wait for 200 miles of breaking in the tires and then go to a tire shop with a RoadForce balancing tool, and politely emphasize to them that you want it perfect. Then, while the tech.s are doing the actual work, quietly call him over slip him a $20 and tell him you'd like them perfect. So long as your rims aren't bent, you will likely get it perfect. No more vibrations.

What he said! My dusty old trusty hometown tire shop has had to clean up rebalancing after shoddy jobs by GoodYear not once.

Experiencing same problem:
From 80 mph light vibration in steering wheel on p100d with 21 arachnids.
Sc replaced 4 tires + front left rim + front brakes :
Unfortunately the vibration is still there at higher speeds although less noticeable than before , but still quite annoying.
All a bit disappointing