Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel vibration (high speed only)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped our X off this morning, and went for a test drive with the technician driving. They're going to replace both half shafts, and the jack shaft which is a third piece that connects the two half-shafts. He said that in order for them to replace them under warranty, they either need to actually be clicking (not just vibrating), OR you need to feel the shudder even if the suspension is set to Very Low (which is what mine did). Other than that, pretty much what has been reported earlier in this thread - higher suspension settings exacerbate the problem, and wear your half-shaft more quickly. NEVER do a hard acceleration with suspension still set to High or Very High (I never do; I rarely use those anyway). The guy said that he even manually lowers the suspension before accelerating on to the freeway (right... like I -- or my wife! -- are going to remember to do that every time) in order to reduce wear.

I dropped our X off this morning, and went for a test drive with the technician driving. They're going to replace both half shafts, and the jack shaft which is a third piece that connects the two half-shafts. He said that in order for them to replace them under warranty, they either need to actually be clicking (not just vibrating), OR you need to feel the shudder even if the suspension is set to Very Low (which is what mine did). Other than that, pretty much what has been reported earlier in this thread - higher suspension settings exacerbate the problem, and wear your half-shaft more quickly. NEVER do a hard acceleration with suspension still set to High or Very High (I never do; I rarely use those anyway). The guy said that he even manually lowers the suspension before accelerating on to the freeway (right... like I -- or my wife! -- are going to remember to do that every time) in order to reduce wear.
Interesting. So there's actually a positive other than looks to the fact that I keep mine in Low all the time! Sweet! :rolleyes::p;)