Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Vibration is Driving Me Crazy – 2018 Model X100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The foam HAS BEEN KNOWN to come loose....are you close to an SC? I just prefer them touching my X more than aftermarket folks...

The nearest SC is about 200 miles away hence my reluctance. I did need to use the service for an MCU issue and they were super easy to deal with but it's just kind of a pain by nature of the distance. I agree I would rather have them work on the car than a normal tire shop.

If I remember correctly, higher pressure is how I reduced the vibration on my previous vehicle's snow tires. The max PSI you refer to is most likely the max cold PSI not the max PSI the tire can handle. If they say 51, I wouldn't be too concerned about going to 50 when you're adding air. The foam in the ContiSilents can come loose, but I get the impression the vibration is pretty extreme if it does.

Thanks for the reply. I will get out my compressor and give this a try and do my test loop to see if it makes a difference. The vibration is constant but fairly minor. It just starts to be a real problem after 20 minutes or so my elbow starts going numb a bit. I started using AP more because of this.

The nearest SC is about 200 miles away hence my reluctance. I did need to use the service for an MCU issue and they were super easy to deal with but it's just kind of a pain by nature of the distance. I agree I would rather have them work on the car than a normal tire shop.

I guess I am spoiled - mine is a 10 minute drive.

This really sounds like a simple weight issue.

Good luck

I wonder if the wheels locked up during you hard braking incident and you flat spotted a tire or two.
Yeah I feel like that would explain what is going on and how it started suddenly. When looking st the tires I can't see anything like that with my eyes but even a very small variation can cause the vibration I'm feeling. I think I've exhausted all the self-diagnosis I can it's time to take it to a tire place or have service look at it.

How bad was the vibration in your 70D? Did you have to go on a ride from someone with Tesla to show then what you were expericing?

At the time, it wasn't terrible; however only after I got it fixed I realized how bad the overall suspension had been, not just the vibrations at speed/turns. The tech and I went on several road tests, however it was impossible to re-create in daytime LA traffic. I just kept complaining and taking it back. They eventually kept it for 4 days and I got it back better than new.

just did my first commute to work today in a new X and also felt vibration in the wheel i thought shouldn't be there at 70-85mph. felt like a wheel balance misalignment. steering also felt VERY heavy.

already had to schedule a service appt for something else, guess i will mention it at that time.

you can take to any good tire shop and ask for a "road force" balance. its a much better balance test for your wheels... do that locally before you drive 200 miles to the service center...
Any good tire shop should also be able to make sure they jack the X up right... just make sure they don't use their impact wrenches on the lug nuts,

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW
just did my first commute to work today in a new X and also felt vibration in the wheel i thought shouldn't be there at 70-85mph. felt like a wheel balance misalignment. steering also felt VERY heavy.

If you haven't already try changing the steering mode in the settings. In the menu its located under Controls->Driving->Steering Mode then you can select Comfort, Standard, or Sport. In my opinion there is a significant difference in feel between Sport and Comfort. Hopefully that changes the steering feel to something more preferable.

you can take to any good tire shop and ask for a "road force" balance. its a much better balance test for your wheels... do that locally before you drive 200 miles to the service center...
Any good tire shop should also be able to make sure they jack the X up right... just make sure they don't use their impact wrenches on the lug nuts,

I have a mobile service tech appointment in a few weeks. Hopefully he can diagnose the issue but I assume it will have to be taken in to the SC. If they do need to look at it they will transport it down and back for me.

I asked the local Tesla reps if there are any local tire shops familiar with Tesla cars and they mentioned a nearby Discount Tire. I will try to get a road force balance to rule out tire balance issues. The problem I am feeling seems like some sort of suspension issue or steering column damper issue based on the frequency the vibration and the range of speed where it is noticeable.

I’ve got the same thing and when I have my hands off the wheel accelerating slowly to 20 to 25 miles an hour you can see the wheel back-and-forth back-and-forth about 2 inches and then on the freeway I file home you know what I’m talking about that little shake so somethings amiss

I’ve got the same thing going on when I have my hands off the wheel and I slowly accelerate from 22 to 25 miles an hour the steering wheel shakes back-and-forth and on the freeway I feel that shutter home so I’ve got an appointment Monday for the Tesla shop but maybe first I’ll bring it by discount tire and have them check the balance on the front tires

I have a similar, but slightly different issue. I have a 2018 Model X I recently purchased used. when I initially purchased it, I noticed a small vibration in the steering wheel, but did not think much of it. Now that I've had it a while though, I think there is a problem. In summary, when driving at low ( <40Mph) the steering wheel pulls left then right at regular intervals back and forth. It's not enough that it changes the direction of the vehicle, but I feel it when driving. I can also hear something that sounds like a quiet rotary noise in sync with the left/right pulling on the steering wheel. At higher speeds, the left/right wobble goes away in favor of a higher speed vibration that I can strongly feel in the steering wheel, and even a bit in the ride of the vehicle... again in sync with a low cyclical noise. I live about 200 miles away from a SC, but hoping I can get a bit of insight before scheduling a drive out there.

Here is a video of it occurring when pulling away from a stop.

Anyone experience something similar or ideas of what could be going on?

Cheers,
Jason

I’ve got the same thing going on when I have my hands off the wheel and I slowly accelerate from 22 to 25 miles an hour the steering wheel shakes back-and-forth and on the freeway I feel that shutter home so I’ve got an appointment Monday for the Tesla shop but maybe first I’ll bring it by discount tire and have them check the balance on the front tires
Did you ever get a resolution from Tesla on this? I have a similar issue. See my post below w/video.

I have a similar, but slightly different issue. I have a 2018 Model X I recently purchased used. when I initially purchased it, I noticed a small vibration in the steering wheel, but did not think much of it. Now that I've had it a while though, I think there is a problem. In summary, when driving at low ( <40Mph) the steering wheel pulls left then right at regular intervals back and forth. It's not enough that it changes the direction of the vehicle, but I feel it when driving. I can also hear something that sounds like a quiet rotary noise in sync with the left/right pulling on the steering wheel. At higher speeds, the left/right wobble goes away in favor of a higher speed vibration that I can strongly feel in the steering wheel, and even a bit in the ride of the vehicle... again in sync with a low cyclical noise. I live about 200 miles away from a SC, but hoping I can get a bit of insight before scheduling a drive out there.

Here is a video of it occurring when pulling away from a stop.

Anyone experience something similar or ideas of what could be going on?

Cheers,
Jason

That does sound like the classic split radial tire issue. If the radio belts come apart inside they'll do that as you drive down the road. Have you eliminated that as a possibility? Unfortunately you can't always see it externally to the tire.