Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Vibration (not lane assist)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have the 2021 LR Model 3 but I am noticing subtle constant vibration on my steering wheel. I feel them when i pass about 10 mph. I tried it both on smooth pavement (parking lot) and regular road. Its constant. So after about 15 minutes in to driving, my hand feels numb (lightly but to the point of discomfort and concern). Is this an issue with suspension? or is this normal for tesla model 3? My civic and lexus doesnt do this at all. Please help!

Have you hit a pothole by chance, OP? I agree with both the posters above, leaning toward either a wheel balance weight that fell off, or a bent rim. When I had to replace one of my rims due to hitting a pothole, it felt exactly like you describe. That specific time (I have had bad luck with potholes and my 20 inch tesla rims, but thats a side story), the tire still held air, but I had a shimmy like you describe.

Guys, a bent/unbalanced rim that's bad enough to be felt at 10mph won't cause anything subtle.
Anything tire-related will get worse at higher speeds, which I'm sensing is not the case.

So, I'd bet it's the power steering motor acting up or something loose in the steering column. Definitely bring it to the SC.

Thank you all. I spoke with the SA today and was told that this is a safety hazard. So I will be brining in my tesla to a local tesla repair center. My appt was set to 1/5 but they told me to just go in tomorrow since this is safety issue.

Any other suggestions, please let me know.. This is extremely frustrating.

Have you hit a pothole by chance, OP? I agree with both the posters above, leaning toward either a wheel balance weight that fell off, or a bent rim. When I had to replace one of my rims due to hitting a pothole, it felt exactly like you describe. That specific time (I have had bad luck with potholes and my 20 inch tesla rims, but thats a side story), the tire still held air, but I had a shimmy like you describe.

Nope I haven't hit a pot hole. I mean I literally just received the car. And I noticed it right away. Very frustrating...

I have the same problem 2015 model, S tried it,, new wheels, new tires, new upper lower control, arms, multiple alignments and balance. Just feels like everything no matter what the speed from the road is being transferred to the steering wheel.

Of course, four different service centers were helpless