Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel vibration while stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my LR AWD Model 3 yesterday. When I stopped at the first stoplight after leaving the store, I noticed a very subtle vibration coming from the steering wheel. I noticed it again the next time I stopped and have noticed it on every stop since. If I move the steering wheel very slightly, the vibration disappears for a brief moment but then comes back. It is not something that you can see; it can only be felt with your hands on the wheel. I tried turning off the HVAC system, but that didn't change the behavior.

Is this normal on a AWD Model 3? I rented a Model 3 (SR+) a while back, and I never noticed it then.

Thanks.

I'm able to replicate it just sitting in my garage. If I get in the car and press the brake pedal, I can hear a noise being generated by something (sounds like a constant whooshing noise). When this sound is occurring, I feel the vibration in my steering wheel. Turning the wheel slightly makes the sound and vibration go away for a brief moment (a second or so) before returning.

Shot in the dark, but do you have the lane departure warning set to on? Maybe try turning that off? It vibrates the steering wheel when you're changing lanes without signaling, and maybe it's doing that while your stopped when it isn't supposed to do it.

Reactions: Petrlol
I have a service appointment scheduled for this coming Thursday to get HW3 and am going to have them check out this vibration as well. I've seen multiple people reporting this on TMC + Facebook so it's definitely not a one-off thing.

Ended up cancelling my previous appointment in January because they wouldn't give me HW3 lol

I had my Model 3 in for service last week, and this noise/vibration was the primary reason I brought it in. The tech I spoke to was able to replicate it, but he said that after working on several other cars, he noticed the same behavior and deemed it normal. They did nothing to address it. It really bothers me, and I told the service department 3 days into my purchase at the beginning of this year that it was something that I would potentially return the car for. They assured me at that time it would be addressed, but now that they actually had time to work on it, their statements were false.

I can easily replicate it by starting one of the games, and when my son wants to play some Beach Buggy Racing in the garage, it is very obvious.

I had my Model 3 in for service last week, and this noise/vibration was the primary reason I brought it in. The tech I spoke to was able to replicate it, but he said that after working on several other cars, he noticed the same behavior and deemed it normal. They did nothing to address it. It really bothers me, and I told the service department 3 days into my purchase at the beginning of this year that it was something that I would potentially return the car for. They assured me at that time it would be addressed, but now that they actually had time to work on it, their statements were false.

I can easily replicate it by starting one of the games, and when my son wants to play some Beach Buggy Racing in the garage, it is very obvious.

Wild guess here.

If the vibrations start when you start Beach Buggy Racing, then maybe the vibrations are coming from the steering rack?