TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering wheel vibration while stopped

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by IamMark, Dec 31, 2019.

1. IamMark

IamMark Member

I just picked up my LR AWD Model 3 yesterday. When I stopped at the first stoplight after leaving the store, I noticed a very subtle vibration coming from the steering wheel. I noticed it again the next time I stopped and have noticed it on every stop since. If I move the steering wheel very slightly, the vibration disappears for a brief moment but then comes back. It is not something that you can see; it can only be felt with your hands on the wheel. I tried turning off the HVAC system, but that didn't change the behavior.

Is this normal on a AWD Model 3? I rented a Model 3 (SR+) a while back, and I never noticed it then.

Thanks.

2. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Mine does that too actually (performance, but its dual motor) and my RWD never did...It never really annoyed me that much but i'm taking it to service next week to have them look into it.

3. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

You drop in some race cams or what??

• Funny x 1
  4. IamMark

IamMark Member

I'm able to replicate it just sitting in my garage. If I get in the car and press the brake pedal, I can hear a noise being generated by something (sounds like a constant whooshing noise). When this sound is occurring, I feel the vibration in my steering wheel. Turning the wheel slightly makes the sound and vibration go away for a brief moment (a second or so) before returning.

5. BrakeDome

BrakeDome Member

Is the vibration present when your foot on the brake? Or when the brakes are on Hold? My AWD (non-performance) does not do this (in either situation), I would not consider the vibration you are describing as normal.

6. IamMark

IamMark Member

My foot does not need to be on the brake. I just push the brake to activate whatever is generating the sound/vibration (car is in Park).

7. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I think it's the coolant system for the motors based on my experience, so pressing the brake would activate the vehicle if it's in Park and potentially start coolant flow?

8. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Shot in the dark, but do you have the lane departure warning set to on? Maybe try turning that off? It vibrates the steering wheel when you're changing lanes without signaling, and maybe it's doing that while your stopped when it isn't supposed to do it.

• Like x 1
  9. IamMark

IamMark Member

Thanks, but that's not it; it is completely different. This vibration is very, very subtle - just enough for me to notice.

• Like x 1
  10. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Same here, only notice when stopped maybe once a week (if that) and then i forget about it.

11. IamMark

IamMark Member

That sounds logical. I wonder how easily this can be fixed. For some reason, it REALLY bugs me. I can feel it all the time.

12. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I have a service appointment scheduled for this coming Thursday to get HW3 and am going to have them check out this vibration as well. I've seen multiple people reporting this on TMC + Facebook so it's definitely not a one-off thing.

Ended up cancelling my previous appointment in January because they wouldn't give me HW3 lol

13. IamMark

IamMark Member

I had my Model 3 in for service last week, and this noise/vibration was the primary reason I brought it in. The tech I spoke to was able to replicate it, but he said that after working on several other cars, he noticed the same behavior and deemed it normal. They did nothing to address it. It really bothers me, and I told the service department 3 days into my purchase at the beginning of this year that it was something that I would potentially return the car for. They assured me at that time it would be addressed, but now that they actually had time to work on it, their statements were false.

I can easily replicate it by starting one of the games, and when my son wants to play some Beach Buggy Racing in the garage, it is very obvious.

14. Orwell

Orwell Member

Wild guess here.

If the vibrations start when you start Beach Buggy Racing, then maybe the vibrations are coming from the steering rack?

15. BrakeDome

BrakeDome Member

My wild guess is something to do with the power steering pump.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet a pretty substantial amount of money it's not a power steering pump problem :)

• Funny x 1
  17. Orwell

Orwell Member

There's not even a power steering pump to begin with.

18. Knightshade

Hence the large amount of money offer :)

19. IamMark

IamMark Member

So what is used in a Model 3 instead of a steering pump?

20. Knightshade

The steering is electric, not hydraulic, so no pump needed