Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel wiggle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My steering wheel wiggles ever so slightly. It’s likely normal, but just wanted to check with others to confirm.

-So while holding the wheel at 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock;
-Push in your 9 o’clock grip, while pulling on your 3 o’clock grip. Basically push and pull repeatedly, in and out on each grip.

My steering wheel has some play there, which you can feel by some minor movement, with a hard stop.
You can feel a definite move and stop, as opposed to just a movement.

I figured it should have no travel at all, but maybe it’s normal.

Is that while you have AP/FSD engaged? Or whilst just plain old school driving?

Neither. It’s while parked. Im sure it would do it while driving, but I never notice it while driving.
I noticed it first, when I get out of the car. Sometimes I hold the wheel and felt it had some forward/backward play, so I checked it.
Wondering if others have wheels that have no play, or are they the same as mine, and nothing to worry about.
Just checking.
Thanks

NO! What!? Go get that checked! From what you are describing maybe the steering wheel bolt is loose?

I thought that was the case as well. I did have it checked. They said the other model 3’s has the same amount of play.
Thought I would post here to see if this is accurate. Could be the case. It’s not a huge amount of play.
Any movement in yours. ?

You likely would never feel it, unless you actually check it as above though.
Thanks