Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you taken delivery of a new S/X with the round wheel? Curious to hear your impressions, especially if you've driven the yoke wheel previously. A couple of the replies in this thread suggested that the buttons might be harder to use on a round wheel, but I think was speculation rather than based on personal experience. Last time I checked, the round wheel retrofit from Tesla won't be available until March, so I assume anyone who did the retrofit used a third party solution.

I drove an X with the yoke wheel for a few miles last year on secondary roads, not enough experience to judge what it would be like to live with (the owner of that X hates the yoke). I did encounter a few roundabouts on that drive and found the yoke awkward to use there, but most of my driving is on the highway and straight secondary roads. I'm going to upgrade my S sometime this year, and I'm wondering if there's any reason I would regret ordering the round wheel vs. the yoke. I do like how the yoke looks.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Have any of you taken delivery of a new S/X with the round wheel? Curious to hear your impressions, especially if you've driven the yoke wheel previously. A couple of the replies in this thread suggested that the buttons might be harder to use on a round wheel, but I think was speculation rather than based on personal experience. Last time I checked, the round wheel retrofit from Tesla won't be available until March, so I assume anyone who did the retrofit used a third party solution.

I drove an X with the yoke wheel for a few miles last year on secondary roads, not enough experience to judge what it would be like to live with (the owner of that X hates the yoke). I did encounter a few roundabouts on that drive and found the yoke awkward to use there, but most of my driving is on the highway and straight secondary roads. I'm going to upgrade my S sometime this year, and I'm wondering if there's any reason I would regret ordering the round wheel vs. the yoke. I do like how the yoke looks.
I'll get it as soon as it's available. Will update with my experience here when I get it. I don't think the buttons will be harder to use though. The way I do roundabouts now is keeping the left hand on the Yoke, so you know where the turn signal buttons are. If you let go of the Yoke with the left hand, the buttons are hard to find and you have to look where they are, atleast that's my experience. This will be similar on the round wheel. For the highway there won't be any difference. Some say visibility is better with the Yoke, but I don't know. Unless you're constantly looking at the screen, it probably won't make any difference.

I have seen a few mentions of the issue in roundabouts with the yoke. I haven't received my MS yet, and I opted for the yoke. I go through a couple roundabouts on my way to work and I am trying to envision what the issue is. how does the signal/wheel complicate roundabouts? I go straight through on my trip, so I don't use a turn signal when entering or exiting (standard in Colorado for going straight through). Though if I was turning, what is the issue with the signal?

If it is an obvious answer I apologize, I am not being cheeky or anything; I really am not sure, and have about 30 min experience with the yoke.

I have seen a few mentions of the issue in roundabouts with the yoke. I haven't received my MS yet, and I opted for the yoke. I go through a couple roundabouts on my way to work and I am trying to envision what the issue is. how does the signal/wheel complicate roundabouts? I go straight through on my trip, so I don't use a turn signal when entering or exiting (standard in Colorado for going straight through). Though if I was turning, what is the issue with the signal?

If it is an obvious answer I apologize, I am not being cheeky or anything; I really am not sure, and have about 30 min experience with the yoke.
Roundabouts are not an issue. The yoke has a really useful raised edge on the upper outside area that allows you keep pressure on the yoke while turning. I usually rotate the yoke past 90 in slow moving scenarios (like a roundabout) with just my pointer finger on the side of the yoke rotating downward on that raised edge. If you ever slip, which I have not, it's easy enough to just grab the yoke with your other hand, because the lower edge of that side is now raised well above your other hand.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Roundabouts are not an issue. The yoke has a really useful raised edge on the upper outside area that allows you keep pressure on the yoke while turning. I usually rotate the yoke past 90 in slow moving scenarios (like a roundabout) with just my pointer finger on the side of the yoke rotating downward on that raised edge. If you ever slip, which I have not, it's easy enough to just grab the yoke with your other hand, because the lower edge of that side is now raised well above your other hand.
Thanks, I can see how that could take some getting used to. I saw a few posts that made roundabouts sound like they were really difficult for some reason and I couldn't envision why.

Thanks, I can see how that could take some getting used to. I saw a few posts that made roundabouts sound like they were really difficult for some reason and I couldn't envision why.
If you're living in a rural/suburban area - and you're just going through suburban roads - you're likely gonna be having a D- experience but still passes.

Yoke completely fails on where modern humanity lives - cities. I live in a house with an alley, getting out of my garage is a min 3-point turn which is miserable with yoke. The second place it fails miserably is when you need to do anything "fast" - grabbing the top of the wheel is very standard - and you'll hate it when you need to do it.

The shape of the Yoke is not really an issue, it's more the turn signal buttons which make it a bit less natural, because you have to turn it on when exiting the roundabout when your Yoke is still (semi) upside down. So easiest way (in my opinion) is to cross your arms, so the left hand stays on the Yoke, so you know where the button is. Sometimes, on tight roundabouts, this is difficult, and then well... It sucks :) Then just drive like a BMW driver and don't use the turn signal (just joking of course).

The main problem is the turn signal buttons not being at the same place all the time (like a stalk). So no matter what, there will be situations, where you will get confused and you will not be able to hit it (or it doesn't respond, because touch sensitive). In 95 percent of the cases it's fine though. It's not great, it's not horrible (like the Yoke itself).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark II and lowtek
If you're living in a rural/suburban area - and you're just going through suburban roads - you're likely gonna be having a D- experience but still passes.

Yoke completely fails on where modern humanity lives - cities. I live in a house with an alley, getting out of my garage is a min 3-point turn which is miserable with yoke. The second place it fails miserably is when you need to do anything "fast" - grabbing the top of the wheel is very standard - and you'll hate it when you need to do it.
So an F in cities and a D- everywhere else. Yep, that about sums it up :)

Odd, I'd rate it an A most everywhere, and maybe a B+ in roundabouts. Not sure why some people have such a hard time with the Yoke. I wouldn't switch back to the old round wheel if they paid me. Be aware most owners have zero problems with the Yoke, and some owners hate it with a passion and are unable to adapt. I've done 3-point turns plenty of times, and it's no more difficult than using a round steering wheel. Maybe for those that have to keep their hands at the top of the wheel (the dangerous wrist-breaking zone), the yoke is not going to work. It also does take a week or two to adjust when you first start using the Yoke, so those that just use it for an hour or so may not be able to feel the advantages. That said, if you're worried, select the old round steering wheel as there is nothing wrong with it either.

I do agree in a few situations, the turn signals are slightly more difficult to get to, but the Tesla round steering wheel doesn't fix this. I'd say it comes up in maybe 1 out of 500 turn signal activations for me - usually at very low speeds in a parking lot when a blinker is not really needed. I'm used to signaling every turn anyway, so I do notice it. I'm used to signaling when exiting roundabouts and don't find it any more difficult than cars with stalks, which is also tricky as your hands are often not near the stalks when exiting. Most of our roundabouts are fairly low-speed in residential areas. I've not used it on high-speed (>50 mph) roundabouts as there are none around here, so I can't comment on those.

Odd, I'd rate it an A most everywhere, and maybe a B+ in roundabouts. Not sure why some people have such a hard time with the Yoke. I wouldn't switch back to the old round wheel if they paid me. Be aware most owners have zero problems with the Yoke, and some owners hate it with a passion and are unable to adapt. I've done 3-point turns plenty of times, and it's no more difficult than using a round steering wheel. Maybe for those that have to keep their hands at the top of the wheel (the dangerous wrist-breaking zone), the yoke is not going to work. It also does take a week or two to adjust when you first start using the Yoke, so those that just use it for an hour or so may not be able to feel the advantages. That said, if you're worried, select the old round steering wheel as there is nothing wrong with it either.

I do agree in a few situations, the turn signals are slightly more difficult to get to, but the Tesla round steering wheel doesn't fix this. I'd say it comes up in maybe 1 out of 500 turn signal activations for me - usually at very low speeds in a parking lot when a blinker is not really needed. I'm used to signaling every turn anyway, so I do notice it. I'm used to signaling when exiting roundabouts and don't find it any more difficult than cars with stalks, which is also tricky as your hands are often not near the stalks when exiting. Most of our roundabouts are fairly low-speed in residential areas. I've not used it on high-speed (>50 mph) roundabouts as there are none around here, so I can't comment on those.
I do not believe there are any advantages except for maybe visibility. What exactly are the other advantages? Mind you, I don't hate the Yoke at all, I think it's ok. But I just don't understand why this shape makes it better than a round wheel. I read things like: "Oh, the Yoke is so much better". But why? Just trying to understand.

I find it easier to hold. Hard to explain though. I've been using the prior Tesla round design for about 8 years (two different Model S cars), prior to getting the Yoke. The Yoke seems more natural to me and requires a lighter touch than the round version. This is not a night and day difference, but more of a preference.

Obviously, a few people don't agree. Perhaps they are holding oddly, have the position adjusted poorly, or just are unable to adapt. People's bodies are also all over the map, so perhaps some combination of body size makes the yoke better or worse for different people. I'm fairly average in size and height (5'-9").

If the airbags blow, and you have your hands on the top half of the round wheel, it often breaks your wrists, and in a few cases jams your hands into your face and can damage an eye. There are strong recommendations to not keep your hands on the top portion of the round steering wheel, but many are unaware, and it's easy to ignore. With the yoke, it eliminates the issue, making it a safer design.

So it's not earth-shattering better, but overall I prefer it. Nothing wrong with those that prefer a round steering wheel, and now buyers can choose which one they like.

If the airbags blow, and you have your hands on the top half of the round wheel, it often breaks your wrists, and in a few cases jams your hands into your face and can damage an eye. There are strong recommendations to not keep your hands on the top portion of the round steering wheel, but many are unaware, and it's easy to ignore. With the yoke, it eliminates the issue, making it a safer design.
Disagree on this point. With the yoke you are limited as to where you can hold it. So unless you ram into something without making any attempt to avoid it there is a good chance you are turning the yoke, with your arm over the airbag. With a round wheel you can easily maneuver your hands out of the way, without really thinking about it.

In some countries you will not get your license if you cross over steer, exactly because of the airbag. Would love to see how you avoid that with a yoke.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The mental gymnastics to make sense of the stupidest decision in recent automotive history is just baffling.

It's horrible, it's terrible, it's unexplainable.

If it was a drive-by-wire system; all of this would be different. But it REALLY is just another, shittier shape for a steering wheel. There's a reason why literally every other car has a "round-ish" wheel. Now, by default, all Tesla's do as well.

So please stop defending the stupid, selfish, idiotic man-child's; equally stupid ideas. Not helpful.

The mental gymnastics to make sense of the stupidest decision in recent automotive history is just baffling.

If it was a drive-by-wire system; all of this would be different. But it REALLY is just another, shittier shape for a steering wheel. There's a reason why literally every other car has a "round-ish" wheel. Now, by default, all Tesla's do as well.

So please stop defending the stupid, selfish, idiotic man-child's; equally stupid ideas. Not helpful.
How is your car company doing?

It's not a new design. Formula 1 cars use yolks, go karts use them, and this isn't even the first Tesla to have one. There are plenty of other examples of yolks in vehicles. Granted the turn ratio should have been adjusted, but I suspect people in general are too stupid to use an adjusted turn ratio without killing themselves.

At any rate, a lot of us really enjoy driving with the yolk. I don't like the Model 3 not having a display behind the steering wheel, but you won't find me over at the Model 3 forums telling everyone all other cars have one, and they are stupid for defending why they like their car...

It's not a new design. Formula 1 cars use yolks, go karts use them, and this isn't even the first Tesla to have one. There are plenty of other examples of yolks in vehicles. Granted the turn ratio should have been adjusted, but I suspect people in general are too stupid to use an adjusted turn ratio without killing themselves.

At any rate, a lot of us really enjoy driving with the yolk. I don't like the Model 3 not having a display behind the steering wheel, but you won't find me over at the Model 3 forums telling everyone all other cars have one, and they are stupid for defending why they like their car...

Cut him slack - I think he was just posting before meds kicked in.