Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just making the steering wheel round but keeping no-stalk touch controls does not solve the yoke problem, it makes it worse! Since driver hands are no longer forced to a particular position, using the blinkers or horn is that much more difficult having to find the buttons first which are in a different place depending on the wheel orientation and hand placement.

This is just Elon realizing he ran out of Elon-cult Model S/X customers, so trying to see if he can drum up some more sales from people who won't notice no-stalks or won't realize its implications until after delivery. The retrofit probably came around to try to clear the current inventory of yoke cars (hence it's not available to current owners for a few months).

Now if they could just bring back the pano I’d be ready to order
If I could change one thing about my build, it would be to get rid of the sunroof. It squeaks so much. I finally gave up trying to get the SC to fix it after my umpteenth try when a mechanic finally gave me the truth which is that it's a common problem and they have no fix.

(I am glad to see the wheel back, though disappointed to see they unbundled the UMC.)

If I could change one thing about my build, it would be to get rid of the sunroof. It squeaks so much. I finally gave up trying to get the SC to fix it after my umpteenth try when a mechanic finally gave me the truth which is that it's a common problem and they have no fix.

(I am glad to see the wheel back, though disappointed to see they unbundled the UMC.)
You mean the one that opens or the current unopenable pano

Still going to keep my yoke, even though the round wheel is superior especially in low speed lots of turn (U turn, Parallell parking) conditions.

Now..IF the wheel option was fatter with a flat bottom? I might be convinced to switch..

Anyone know what the radius of the "new" wheel is relative to the horizontal "span" of the yoke? One of the obvious idiot maneuvers of the yoke is that it significantly obstructs the driver's view of the left side of the landscape-oriented screen (not a problem with the portrait-oriented screen of yore, or the landscape-oriented screen of the M3 with a smaller-radius wheel). I'm curious how this wheel "plays" with the MS larger landscape screen?

Anyone know what the radius of the "new" wheel is relative to the horizontal "span" of the yoke? One of the obvious idiot maneuvers of the yoke is that it significantly obstructs the driver's view of the left side of the landscape-oriented screen (not a problem with the portrait-oriented screen of yore, or the landscape-oriented screen of the M3 with a smaller-radius wheel). I'm curious how this wheel "plays" with the MS larger landscape screen?

14 5/8" for the Tesla round option

15" on the dot for the yoke

See pics below:

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

The other thing the standard steering would help with is that unlike the yoke, the steering would give an unhindered view Centre Control Screen, especially when trying to access the bottom left part of the screen for anything.

And looking at the images looks like this will be the case with the steering wheel, it's smaller/narrower than the yoke.

Reactions: EV-lutioin