Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted for the Yoke.
The wheel will likely feel more natural for 99% of drivers out there, and it looks familiar which is comfortable for people, but without the stalks, the majority of the complaints of the yoke will not go away. That said, I would venture to say they may get worse. People will have to hold the wheel at the same 10-and-2 position as the yoke in order to access what was on the stalks. This is not a problem IMHO, but if the buttons were problematic for a driver with the yoke, I would assume it would be an issue for a wheel.

I opted for the Yoke.
The wheel will likely feel more natural for 99% of drivers out there, and it looks familiar which is comfortable for people, but without the stalks, the majority of the complaints of the yoke will not go away. That said, I would venture to say they may get worse. People will have to hold the wheel at the same 10-and-2 position as the yoke in order to access what was on the stalks. This is not a problem IMHO, but if the buttons were problematic for a driver with the yoke, I would assume it would be an issue for a wheel.
You make a valid point about the button placement in the steering wheel VS yoke. This is something to think about.

Hoping when I do the retrofit I can jeep the yoke, if I change my mind.

If I could change one thing about my build, it would be to get rid of the sunroof. It squeaks so much. I finally gave up trying to get the SC to fix it after my umpteenth try when a mechanic finally gave me the truth which is that it's a common problem and they have no fix.

(I am glad to see the wheel back, though disappointed to see they unbundled the UMC.)
Is there an option to permanently close and seal it, essentially convert it into a glass roof?

Is there an option to permanently close and seal it, essentially convert it into a glass roof?
The honest mechanic I spoke with sort of suggested that -- strong adhesive to just glue the whole thing on. He threw it out as a ha-ha-I'm-only-serious kind of comment, and not one the SC would have been willing to do. I'm hesitant to take such an extreme and irreversible step.

I opted for the Yoke.
I do agree the worst thing about the Yoke (or round wheel) are the buttons, and especially the buttons for the blinkers.
But still, after driving with the Yoke for a while now, I just do not like it. You definitely can get used to it, it's definitely drivable, it's ok. But for me it's not better, except for maybe visibility. It's just too wide, too thick, oddly shaped.
If there wasn't any choice, then I could definitely live with it. But now that there is a choice, albeit for money unfortunately, I'm retrofitting the round wheel.
However, I must say, I've been on holiday in the US (Orlando) for the last two weeks and over there I do kinda get the Yoke. You mostly drive straight on, wide smooth corners, no roundabouts. In the Netherlands in the city centers though... lots of steering, avoiding bicycles, roundabouts, tight streets. In my opinion the Yoke only makes it more difficult to drive. I find myself missing the top part and roundness. I mean you can grab a round wheel wherever you want with either hand, with the Yoke I sometimes find myself driving with one hand, because I don't know where the other should go. I'm just not feeling in complete control of the car.
The Yoke is not bad, 9/10 times it's fine. It's better then I expected. But no, now that it's possible, a round wheel please. Just my 2 cents...

Do you also know the size of the standard steering wheel of the Model 3? Curious how much bigger this S wheel is and I don't have a Model 3 anymore :)
Model 3/Y side to side: 13 3/4"

Model 3/Y top to bottom: 13 1/2"

Model S/X Refresh factory "round" option, side to side: 14 5/8" for the Tesla round option

Model S/X Refresh factory "round" option, top to bottom: 14"

The S/X Refresh round is actually smaller than the non refresh 2012-2020 steering wheels.

Reactions: yamanote and kazamm
I've always liked my yoke, but the blinkers took significant time to get used to. Now I effortlessly use the blinkers like it was always the way to do things.

The horn is still a problem. Even after 16 months of driving, every time I try to hit the horn in a panic I can't find it in time. This actually cost me a collision a few weeks ago. Someone made a left hand turn and I followed them onto the cross street. They put it in reverse right as I stopped behind them. I saw it coming, but before I could find the horn they hit me.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and Mark II
Model 3/Y side to side: 13 3/4"

Model 3/Y top to bottom: 13 1/2"

Model S/X Refresh factory "round" option, side to side: 14 5/8" for the Tesla round option

Model S/X Refresh factory "round" option, top to bottom: 14"

The S/X Refresh round is actually smaller than the non refresh 2012-2020 steering wheels.
This is great! I really enjoy the small wheel of 3/y - and getting something a bit larger, but smaller than the truck-like wheels of previous S's is great.

Do you know what the previous (12-20) s wheel dimensions were?

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek
I've always liked my yoke, but the blinkers took significant time to get used to. Now I effortlessly use the blinkers like it was always the way to do things.

The horn is still a problem. Even after 16 months of driving, every time I try to hit the horn in a panic I can't find it in time. This actually cost me a collision a few weeks ago. Someone made a left hand turn and I followed them onto the cross street. They put it in reverse right as I stopped behind them. I saw it coming, but before I could find the horn they hit me.
Agree 100%. Got used to and maybe even prefer the blinkers, but the horn is still a problem.

Maybe it works for some people, but the mash all buttons on the right feature didn't work out for me. The one time I tried it, it activated the wipers instead. Needless to say the other driver didn't notice that :p.

I ended sticking one of those clear bumper dot stickers on the horn button. Helps a lot when driving straight, but still really hard to hit the horn while turning.