Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100%. Got used to and maybe even prefer the blinkers, but the horn is still a problem.

Maybe it works for some people, but the mash all buttons on the right feature didn't work out for me. The one time I tried it, it activated the wipers instead. Needless to say the other driver didn't notice that :p.

I ended sticking one of those clear bumper dot stickers on the horn button. Helps a lot when driving straight, but still really hard to hit the horn while turning.
Yup I also applied one of the raised clear stickers!

I opted for the Yoke.
The wheel will likely feel more natural for 99% of drivers out there, and it looks familiar which is comfortable for people, but without the stalks, the majority of the complaints of the yoke will not go away. That said, I would venture to say they may get worse. People will have to hold the wheel at the same 10-and-2 position as the yoke in order to access what was on the stalks. This is not a problem IMHO, but if the buttons were problematic for a driver with the yoke, I would assume it would be an issue for a wheel.
Have you used the yoke in an emergency situation, like an unexpected slide in snowy conditions? It's.... yikes!!

I've been driving a Model S with a yoke since they first came out and I love it, makes if fun to drive and is definitely a conversation piece. Took me about 5 minutes to adapt to it, the turn signals a bit longer, and I have yet to adapt to no center horn. Even with that, will get a yoke again.

• Disagree
Reactions: kazamm and vcor
I've been driving a Model S with a yoke since they first came out and I love it, makes if fun to drive and is definitely a conversation piece. Took me about 5 minutes to adapt to it, the turn signals a bit longer, and I have yet to adapt to no center horn. Even with that, will get a yoke again.
I do like the visibility, but don’t really like anything else about it. That said, I would consider keeping it if Tesla eventually enabled the horn in the center function. I am under the impression that I have the hardware for it, but have seen nothing discussed about this for a long time.

Does anyone know if they are going to eventually enable this?

Regarding the horn activation, I’ve been reading that you can activate the horn by putting your hand over the entire right side of the yolk? Has anyone done this or am I doing it wrong? I have a 2023 MS and I can’t seem to activate the horn unless I use the tiny horn button

Regarding the horn activation, I’ve been reading that you can activate the horn by putting your hand over the entire right side of the yolk? Has anyone done this or am I doing it wrong? I have a 2023 MS and I can’t seem to activate the horn unless I use the tiny horn button
Old news, it definitely works, but all that's really happening is that you're touching the horn button, it's not any specific "palm" detection ... so you inevitably hit one of the other buttons and say for example activate the windshield wipers too.

Reactions: Mark II
As above, it does work. But, it still not a good solution. You might be trying to swerve away from a car while simultaneously hitting the horn. This method still requires you to "find" the horn area, as opposed to mashing the center, which is always in the same place.

As above, it does work. But, it still not a good solution. You might be trying to swerve away from a car while simultaneously hitting the horn. This method still requires you to "find" the horn area, as opposed to mashing the center, which is always in the same place.
Absolutely agree. It was hard to “remember” where to activate the horn as I was swearing to prevent a collision from the guy who cut me off. So yes center mounted is ideal

Reactions: KJD and Mark II
Have you used the yoke in an emergency situation, like an unexpected slide in snowy conditions? It's.... yikes!!
Have you?

I have not, but here is my theory:
Assuming I have my hands on the wheel, at 9-and-3 or 10-and-2, any emergency turning would be no different than a wheel. If I am turning more than 90-degrees I am probably going to struggle or cause more of an issue than I am in already.

As for snow, I learned how to drive in the winters of Chicago, and I live in Colorado Springs, so I am quite adept I would like to think. At no time, in 30 years of driving have I ever had to make a large (aka, hand-over-hand) emergency turn due to snow/ice. I have had to turn into the skid, manage black ice, get out of the rut, been stuck in a blizzard (because I was young and stupid) and there was not a single situation that I can think of that required me to make a large turn. As a matter of fact, during winter driving school (yeah, we had that back in the 90's in Chicago at my school) a large turn was discouraged as it made loss of control more likely, that is how you spin out!

So yikes? no, more like "I can't make that bad decision as easy now!"

Old news, it definitely works, but all that's really happening is that you're touching the horn button, it's not any specific "palm" detection ... so you inevitably hit one of the other buttons and say for example activate the windshield wipers too.
For me definitely is more like 50% of the time, since I don't always inevitably hit the horn button. Wipers yes, horn, not so much.

I have been driving a Model X Plaid with a yoke for about eight months. In summary, I hate it. I am interested in this retrofit and put myself on an email notification list. I’m looking for the information and can’t find it: Does anyone know if the horn will be in the center or will it still be in the horrendously stupidly, placed upper right corner?
I also dislike the yoke. However I dislike the lack of stalks and no center horn more. Unfortunately the $700 does not fix those issues. IMHO they should provide the wheel upgrade for free, since it is fixing a design defect (for me at least).

Does anyone know if they are going to eventually enable this?
I think the only honest answer to this kind of request to foretell the future can be "no, nobody knows". Even more than run-of-the-mill companies, Tesla has a history of saying they're going to do something, and then never doing it. There are big examples like the promised cross-country autonomous drive, and small ones like the promised Bluetooth phone key for older cars. My conclusion is that just like with almost everything else in life, one should buy a Tesla for what it is at time of purchase. If it improves later, great! If it doesn't, so be it. Never buy a product you consider unacceptable because you think it will become acceptable later. This is true even for announced future directions, ever so much more so for things people are just guessing at based on reading tea leaves.

You should swerve to prevent the collision instead of swear. Will not need the horn.
In some cases the right tool for the job is the horn, though. Upthread someone gave the example of another driver backing into them, in an alley. I've had this almost happen to me, where there were zero opportunities for evasion, and I was only saved by a quick tootle of the horn.

You should swerve to prevent the collision instead of swear. Will not need the horn.
Problem is ... if someone is coming into your lane and you have nowhere to go but into the rock-infested median, the horn may be your only hope ... I counted one day, 3/10 have their face in their phones and not on the road ... that split-second reaction and its muscle memory has you hitting the airbag while attempting to control the situation.