Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel / Yoke option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Response to his HW4 wait. Unless you plan to FSD I wouldn’t wait for anything. Never a better time to buy new then right now.
Got it. However, I’m not convinced HW4 and the other goodies aren’t worth waiting for even without FSD. The updated hardware could make EAP better (by eliminating phantom braking for example), and the updates could render HW3 the new “legacy” hardware. I don’t want to spend that kind of money on an S that becomes obsolete 6 months after I buy it, since there’s no upgrade path. But if you don’t care about HW4, you’re right, this is a great time to buy.

Got it. However, I’m not convinced HW4 and the other goodies aren’t worth waiting for even without FSD. The updated hardware could make EAP better (by eliminating phantom braking for example), and the updates could render HW3 the new “legacy” hardware. I don’t want to spend that kind of money on an S that becomes obsolete 6 months after I buy it, since there’s no upgrade path. But if you don’t care about HW4, you’re right, this is a great time to buy.
I have a 2019 pd3 76000 miles no Phantom braking in the last 20000 miles. Seems the removal of radar helped

Reactions: lowtek
Several things come to mind when reading this thread. When I was 20 years old and riding motorcycles some shifted on the right side and some shifted on the left side, never caused me any difficulties then! That is not the case now, my 74 year old brain needs a little more time and familiarity before things become automatic. I readily accept new things if they seem to make sense to me. The Plaid’s performance was so compelling I overlooked the yoke and I’m not sorry I did, even after being stung by a $21,000 price reduction. The yoke is OK driving down the road, it’s OK at the drag strip. It’s a pain in the ass when parallel parking or maneuvering in a tight traffic situation at slow speed. The horn button is unforgivable, the turn signals are unfriendly and most of the other buttons are just poor design. For me there are very few advantages and lots of drawbacks. If the new round wheel option had a horn that would honk in the center of the wheel I’ll buy it, wouldn’t care if the new wheel was roundish. A turn signal stalk would be a nice thing as well as windshield wiper stalk with dimmer capability. I’m really dreaming here aren’t I? Flame away….
I completely understand your frustration, and at 45 I have noticed I am a bit slower to adjust, let alone at 70+ it will likely be much more difficult. I agree, the horn button is... odd. The reason 99% of cars have the center push horn is because that is a quick panic reaction. Finding the button on the right side to honk is a bit too calculated for such an action. The parking issue is another problem, but one that will be remedied soon I believe. The intent with the Plaid is that the driver would have FSD, and the car would park itself. Currently, parking is disabled for EAP, and I don't know if it works even with FSD (anyone know?). Once self-parking is viable again, then the parking issue will no longer be a problem. The stalks are being phased out (multiple manufacturers are working on this) on most vehicles in favor of other methods, so unfortunately for us old-hats; we will just have to learn to adapt. Overall though, I agree with you; the yoke wheel appears to has some benefits, but takes a lot to adapt to. The round wheel fixes some of the problems, but the glaring horn issue won't change and the turn signals are also a 50/50 love it/hate it issue as well.
I do imagine all of the people that reference the yoke as a problem driving a bit crazy at slow speeds. I was thinking about it as I was driving to work today... my drive through the neighborhood was no issue, and at one point on my drive I turned the wheel, on a slow turn, 90 degrees to the right, and two that turn 90 degrees to the left. I am only using the hand positions available to me (I am currently driving a Y, waiting for my MS) as if I had a yoke, and there was no issue. What do you guys do? make U turns constantly or something? Aside from parking, maybe maneuvering around a parking lot or something... a hand-over-hand is needed in those situations, but I just don't see the issue for daily driving. Maybe I will see the flaws in my simulation once I receive my Model S. And if I do, I will post an apology to all of you! Until then, I am just confused.

Yes, FSD has the capability to do self-parking if you drive by a spot. I used it a few times. In my opinion, and likely others waiting on the car to park itself, autopark is too slow to be used in reality.
Have you used it recently? FSD does include autopark, but some features were temporarily disabled when the ultrasonic sensors were removed, so it might not be working for everyone. I don't know if autopark was one of those disabled features.

Have you used it recently? FSD does include autopark, but some features were temporarily disabled when the ultrasonic sensors were removed, so it might not be working for everyone. I don't know if autopark was one of those disabled features.
Have not tried it, but I know I have seen it offered on my screen when parking. Will check again tomorrow in a few scenarios.

I have been driving a Model X Plaid with a yoke for about eight months. In summary, I hate it. I am interested in this retrofit and put myself on an email notification list. I’m looking for the information and can’t find it: Does anyone know if the horn will be in the center or will it still be in the horrendously stupidly, placed upper right corner?
No more corners, meaning all touch controls are somewhere on the wheel, depending on its orientation. Even more fun then autopilot turns the wheel, but that was a disaster already (just watch FSD videos when people have to take over from FSD with the yoke in various orientations (often the takeover events happen during sharp turns).

Finally a picture of the new round wheel - the stitching looks like it goes around the back of the rim right where your hand goes. Not going to be comfortable to hold if so...

I am surprised there is any stitching. If they can press fit the material in the yoke, they should have been able to do the same with a round steering wheel.

I am surprised there is any stitching. If they can press fit the material in the yoke, they should have been able to do the same with a round steering wheel.
I think the peeling happening to many yokes comes down to how tightly the material is stretched onto the core. The stitching provides some relief so hopefully there is no issue with peeling with the round wheel (and maybe it being not being stretched so tightly will make it not feel so much like vinyl).

Reactions: Nickos
I think the peeling happening to many yokes comes down to how tightly the material is stretched onto the core. The stitching provides some relief so hopefully there is no issue with peeling with the round wheel (and maybe it being not being stretched so tightly will make it not feel so much like vinyl).

Interesting theory. I would think the machine they created to press in the material could be set to put whatever level of stretch they want.