Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering yokes? is this true?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the first I've heard of this problem, but I've been nervous about the quality of my Yoke's surface since I bought the car. It feels less durable than other steering wheels, and I can definitely see it prematurely degrading with any sort of rough handling. It'll be interesting to see how many people experience this problem over the coming year or two as more miles are put on our cars.

Reactions: aerodyne
I have a wheel coming from a Chinese manufacturer. Swaps in for the yoke. Looks to be good quality. Was able to customize it to match the car. Matte carbon fiber, red stitching (my car is red). Hopefully will be nice. Heating is included supposedly.
Plaid steering wheel 2.JPG

I have a wheel coming from a Chinese manufacturer. Swaps in for the yoke. Looks to be good quality. Was able to customize it to match the car. Matte carbon fiber, red stitching (my car is red). Hopefully will be nice. Heating is included supposedly.View attachment 845495
This looks REALLY good. But Im so used to the yoke now, not sure if I want to go back to a wheel? Still, I like yours.
If my yoke material starts to break down, my first option would be to remove the yoke (easy) and drop it off at a local upholstery place or ship it off to have it recovered in a nice leather.

This looks REALLY good. But Im so used to the yoke now, not sure if I want to go back to a wheel? Still, I like yours.
If my yoke material starts to break down, my first option would be to remove the yoke (easy) and drop it off at a local upholstery place or ship it off to have it recovered in a nice leather.

I've had it in for a week now and I'm not going back. Much easier to drive. Materials are nice. Real CF, matches interior trim perfectly, and the perforated leather feels nice within the grips. Red stitching matches the car color.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Yes they will communicate with you- quite extensively to make sure every detail is clearly specified before they make it. Make sure you also communicate very clearly (but as simply as possible) and make sure that you are satisfied that they clearly understand what you want in no uncertain terms. They did get confused a couple times in the back and forth and the language barrier. They had originally specified a December delivery but it only took a few weeks to get it. See that Tesla? Mine was shipped from Hong Kong, so thinking not quite Mainland China.

Reactions: Sam1
Yes they will communicate with you- quite extensively to make sure every detail is clearly specified before they make it. Make sure you also communicate very clearly (but as simply as possible) and make sure that you are satisfied that they clearly understand what you want in no uncertain terms. They did get confused a couple times in the back and forth and the language barrier. They had originally specified a December delivery but it only took a few weeks to get it. See that Tesla? Mine was shipped from Hong Kong, so thinking not quite Mainland China.
I'd definitely be interested to know some more details from you about what was involved with swapping out the core. Was there a particular guide you used? Anything to watch out for?