Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steeringwheel clocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 steering wheel is clocked ever so slightly to the right when driving on a flat straight road. My SC is over two hours away. I just picked the car up on Sat so it seems they didn't have the steering wheel straight when they did the alignment/assembly at the factory. It's really bothering me but I'm not sure if taking a whole day off work to get it fixed at the SC is worth it. I'm sure a local alignement shop could handle it.

Anyone else have this problem?

My M3 steering wheel is clocked ever so slightly to the right when driving on a flat straight road. My SC is over two hours away. I just picked the car up on Sat so it seems they didn't have the steering wheel straight when they did the alignment/assembly at the factory. It's really bothering me but I'm not sure if taking a whole day off work to get it fixed at the SC is worth it. I'm sure a local alignement shop could handle it.

Anyone else have this problem?

what kinda time does it get?

I have had that same problem since I picked up my P3D in Ohio. It is a very slight right clock also.
I have lived with it but I was worried about alignment.
Yesterday I took pictures of my tires to look at wear, they seemed ok. I am now just over 5K miles.

Many roads have a crown in the middle for water drainage. This can sometimes require a little bias on the steering wheel to stay straight. This would typically manifest as slightly left rotation in the US since we drive on the right side. I assume it would be the opposite in countries the drive on the left side of the road.

I have the exact same issue on the Performance model I picked up on Saturday. In addition, while the car tracks straight on most seemingly level surface streets, on the freeway it pulls to the right a bit, even when I am in the left lane which is either flat or crowned slightly to the left.

I plan to ask for this to be adjusted along with fixing the imperfectly applied spoiler during a future service appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Many roads have a crown in the middle for water drainage. This can sometimes require a little bias on the steering wheel to stay straight. This would typically manifest as slightly left rotation in the US since we drive on the right side. I assume it would be the opposite in countries the drive on the left side of the road
It is so slight its harder to notice on a crowned road (where you naturally have to steer a bit left).

Based on what the OP said
when driving on a flat straight road
it sounds like we have the same thing going on.

Understand about the crown in the road. This isn't it. If you drive on a flat road, and place the wheel straight, the car goes to the left. When they built the car the wheel should be straight and the mechanicial alignment set to that.

If you really want to do it right you put weight in the drivers seat then align the car.

Sounds like this is a factory issue given the number of people who have the same problem. Not sure why Big Earl's wasn't corrected after alignment.

Took delivery of my Model 3 December 29th and realized less than a mile away from the lot that the steering wheel was not straight. While this put a damper on my excitement, everything else seemed perfect. Long story short, it took two service visits but they got it tracking straight to my satisfaction! On the second visit I went to a different service location and they were really helpful and professional. They even provided a print out of the before and after from the alignment computer. (See attached).

I am a Tesla sympathizer and understand that the pressure to deliver low defect cars must be tremendous! That being said, if your wheel is not straight and it bothers you, speak up about it. I will say, if you’re just taking delivery I’m sure they’ll take care of you. But if you’ve had your car for a while, be prepared to pay up for an alignment because they may claim too much time has passed and factory misalignment is no longer a valid concern. In other words, you have driven many miles and hit a pothole or two.

Attachments

• 8BE851CC-D5A6-439D-9205-4374A9260AFC.jpeg
    8BE851CC-D5A6-439D-9205-4374A9260AFC.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 60