Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steerling wheel shakes post tire swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When driving over 80KM/hr I noticed right away the steerling wheel shakes and when driving 130-140KM it is very noticeable.

Due to COVID Tesla and KalTire and other companies are no longer doing tire swaps (Winters to Summer/All Seasons). So I swapped them on my own.
Thankfully KalTire marked each tire, so I just put the tire back since it is a SR+ trim.

I have an appointment with Tesla next week for them to diagnose but it will be $175 for just the base diagnostic, then another $150 if it is tire balancing related.

Just wondering on your thoughts, what you think it could be, and anything I could do before seeing Tesla next week.

Sounds like one of the weight came loose or broke off, a simple tire balance at any tire shop will fix this, plus save yourself lots of money. Look for a small shop, doesn’t have to be the big shops. Also make sure you have Jack pads.

Fred

Reactions: android04
Turns out it had nothing to do with balancing. and actually my fault :)
In short, when I got winters installed, and since the tires were not OEM, KalTire put a hub-centric-ring around the axle? to make the winter tire/wheel seem like OEM.
Then when I removed the winters and installed the all-seasons (OEMs) not knowing about the tire, I installed the OEMs on top of the hub-centric ring. The aluminum ring got crushed and had to be forced/pried out.

The tire shop recommended to go see Tesla as the bolts/studs may have been compromised... Yikes.

If they do Roadforce correctly, they actually match the tire as perfectly as possible to the wheel. They actually move the tire around the rim to get it to the best location. It usually requires that the tire be deflated and inflated a few times to get it right. Requires extra time and effort. But gives you the best possible balance.

Thanks folks. I know this is not really a Tesla specific question, more just general.

Also, what makes the Hunter Roadforce so special?

Nothing! It's a complete gimmick

The main problem with a regular balancing machine is the operator..... If they don't properly mount the tire to the machine, it will never balance.

Also check your wheel weights to make sure they are properly installed, if they didn't clean the spot that they slapped it on it'll be no good and fall off.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz