Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steps after Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
First Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge. Our installation was done yesterday. Things were smooth upto this point.... However, I'm somewhat clear about some of the next steps and not clear about some areas, especially monitoring, connectivity..... I think those are some of the grey areas with Tesla. I guess I'm looking for some help/pointers/tips...

1) Very next step is, Inspection. So the inspection guys will come out and do their job. Not much to do here.
2) I will get invoice from Tesla. Paying with CC is another area to dig into it. There are some threads. I'll read it and update when I'm done.
3) PTO - Again some people had issue with this as well, will post how it goes.
4) I've installed Tesla App and at least it shows screen where todays data is blank. Of course, it's not activated.But some good sign.

I'm more concerned about other things like monitoring, connectivity, Solaredge inverter, module performance....

1) I called my installer today about wired connection to Inverter ( SE7600H ) and he said there is no enternet port inside inverter. Huh ? I read many threads and seems like everybody was able to run wired ethernet to inverter. why my installer is saying NO ?
2) Also , I read some people were talking about checking Inverter's settings for zigbee ? How do I do that ? Do I need to connect to inverter using App ? Can someone pl give me steps ?
3) My zigbee shows "NO SIGNAL" . Again it could be because it's not activated yet. Correct ?
4) How to get Solaredge Installer access ? Do I call support ? which no to call ?
5) Eventually want to monitor each panel performance ( Tesla and Solaredge monitoring together) . I read some threads and seems like some people had success, but it's confusing to me.

As you see, I'm kind of lost in some way... what do i do next or how do i do ?
Thanks for your help.

1) I called my installer today about wired connection to Inverter ( SE7600H ) and he said there is no enternet port inside inverter. Huh ? I read many threads and seems like everybody was able to run wired ethernet to inverter. why my installer is saying NO ?

There’s definitely an ethernet port in there. Since tesla never uses the ethernet connection in the inverters it’s likely that he’s just never noticed it.

2) Also , I read some people were talking about checking Inverter's settings for zigbee ? How do I do that ? Do I need to connect to inverter using App ? Can someone pl give me steps ?

You shouldn’t need to worry about this. Tesla will have done the zigbee configuration so the inverter can talk to the gateway. If you decide to connect it to ethernet and you aren’t getting an ethernet connection it’s possible that tesla configured it to only use zigbee instead of auto select, but that’s unlikely and you can deal with that if it happens.

3) My zigbee shows "NO SIGNAL" . Again it could be because it's not activated yet. Correct ?

From another post the other day, that seems to be normal

4) How to get Solaredge Installer access ? Do I call support ? which no to call ?

For a solaredge installer account you can sign up on the solaredge web site, but what do you want an installer account for? An installer account will give you the ability to change settings on your inverter, but it won’t give you the ability to monitor your inverter unless you go through additional steps to have your whole system transferred from tesla to you. There is probably some risk in doing this as it may affect Tesla’s ability to monitor and/or repair your system if there is an issue.

If you just want to monitor your system through the solaredge app then all you need is a monitoring account and that can be obtained from Tesla by calling tesla support and requesting it.

5) Eventually want to monitor each panel performance ( Tesla and Solaredge monitoring together) . I read some threads and seems like some people had success, but it's confusing to me.

You don’t mention if this is solar only or solar and powerwalls, but it sounds like it’s solar only. If you do also have powerwalls, then this is easy. You can connect your inverters to ethernet, which will allow you to monitor them through the solaredge app with panel level data and the tesla app will continue to work. If this is solar only then it’s more complicated as connecting your inverters to ethernet so you can monitor them through the solaredge app will stop the tesla app from working. There are a few people trying to work out different ways to allow both apps to operate at the same time, but as of yet I don’t know that anyone has a confirmed solution for this.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
Thanks BrettS.

Yes I've solar only. No Poerwall.
So How can I monitor each panel ? I thought I need zigbee for Tesla App and Ethernet connect for Solaredge. Isn't it ?

Also, To monitor each panel, I thought we need installer account, not monitoring a/c. am i wrong ?

So How can I monitor each panel ? I thought I need zigbee for Tesla App and Ethernet connect for Solaredge. Isn't it ?

That’s correct, zigbee for the Tesla App or Ethernet for the SolarEdge app, but the problem is they seem to be mutually exclusive. If the inverter is set for auto select then ethernet will take priority over zigbee. As soon as you connect the ethernet cable then the zibgee connection (and with it the Tesla app) stops working. If you force the inverter to use the zigbee connection then the ethernet connection (and with it the solaredge app) stops working. Like I said, there are a few people who are trying to find workarounds to allow both apps to work simultaneously, but so far I don’t believe anyone has found anything. I had suggested kind of a kludgy potential solution where you use a smart outlet to power an ethernet switch on and off several times during the day, which I think would work, but I don’t know that anyone has actually tried it.

Also, To monitor each panel, I thought we need installer account, not monitoring a/c. am i wrong ?

You are wrong. The monitoring account will allow you to monitor each panel. The potential problem with this is that most likely your panels will not be mapped out to match the physical installation. If having the physical map is important to you then you may need the installer account (and have solaredge transfer your site away from tesla and to your installer account) so you can create the physical map yourself. Alternately I did see one post where someone was able to submit the physical layout information to solaredge and they created the map that worked with his monitoring account, so that might be a possibility as well.

Ok.... I was hoping ( even confirmed with advisor before buying ) that I will be able to monitor each panel. I understand , it's overall production that matters, but then it would be easier to figure out if one panel is not working. I guess will keep trying to find better solution.

I've not heard back from my advisor. so will wait for her response.

BTW, are people buying extended warranty for Inverter from solaredge ? I have not checked but I think it's copule of hundred dollars. Planning to buy.

Tesla has never let you see panel level data in their app, so I’m not sure why the advisor would have told you that you would be able to. However, that said, panel level data isn’t something that you’re really going to need to (or want to) check every day. It can be helpful to see after your system has first started up so you can confirm all your panels are working. And it can be useful if you suspect a problem, so you can confirm that all the panels are continuing to work. It’s also nice if you have any shading to see which panels are being affected and to see how much the shading is affecting them, but that tends to be a reasonably static thing, so once you know, then you know. But it’s not like you’re going to be wanting to look at the panel level data every day or anything like that.

Probably the best solution for a solar only install would be to get the solaredge account and run an ethernet cable to your inverters, but leave the ethernet cable disconnected most of the time. When you want to see the panel level data you can plug it in for a while to allow the inverters to transmit their data to solaredge, then you can unplug it again to go back to letting them report to the tesla app.

We went with a 3rd party Tesla-approved installer, who used Chilicon Power microinverters, which came with a separate monitor display, allowing us to see the status of each pair of solar panels (each microinverter connects to two panels). This has been useful to confirm we aren't having any issues with the panels or microinverters, though most of the time, we just ignore it - because the Tesla app provides the total amount of solar power being generated - all we need most of the time.

As for what steps you should take after installation - you should perform tests of the system (preferably before you make the final payment):
  1. Do a "max load" test while operating on grid. Use the Tesla app to determine total KW when you have all major devices running at the same time (air conditioning, pool pumps, electric ovens, ...). The results can be compared to the total power that can be provided by your PowerWalls when operating off grid (sustained 5KW per PW). And if your max load exceeds what the PWs can provide, you should be prepared to shut off some devices during planned or unplanned outages and/or move some devices to be connected directly to the grid (and not to the TEG).
  2. Do an "off grid" test with the PowerWalls not fully charged (below 95%). This will verify the system will successfully switch over to local operation and identify any devices you have inside the house that will have problems during the brief period while power is off and the TEG is setting the 60Hz power frequency (usually anything with a processor - computers, DVRs, ...).
  3. Do an "off grid" test with the PowerWalls fully charged (97-100%). The TEG will set the power frequency above 60Hz. This will identify any devices that may have problems with the higher frequency (typically some UPS boxes). If you have anything that measures power frequency, if you are reading 63Hz, you should contact Tesla to lower the frequency to only what is needed to shut off your solar inverters/microinverters. Also, when operating off the PowerWalls, try running all of your air conditioners. If any fail to start up, then you'll need soft or hard starts added to eliminate the surge when the compressor kicks in.
These test really should be run by the installers before they declare they are completely finished - though that doesn't appear to be standard practice in the industry...

Ok... so they came back today and did whole bunch of things....
1) Replaced all broken tiles , plus some more that were bad. showed photos after that. I think they did very good job.
2) City Inspection done. No problem. it was like 15 min job.
3) They also worked on water heater ( did some bonding between pipes, shock preventor or something like that ). That was nice as they wanted to make sure it passes inspection without any problem. so good job.
4) Patched one little hole that was left from yesterdays work
5) Again tested the system showed me all 15 optimizers were reporting production.

Overall, much better job and fully satisfied so far.. Next is PTO once I pay. Have not received invoice yet.

Overall, much better job and fully satisfied so far.. Next is PTO once I pay. Have not received invoice yet.

I received the invoice about two hours after my electrical inspection was completed by the county. I was speaking with the inspection scheduler and texted her a picture of the completed inspection sticker.

My bank account was already linked somehow so it only took one click to pay.

Now we are waiting to get the paperwork uploaded to the county website and over to the utility. Not sure if my electrical meter has to be upgraded or not. It is digital and already a smart meter of sorts.

Hopefully our PTO comes next week. The PWs lose a percentage every other day or so. They were installed with 23%.

Reactions: jboy210
An update. Tesla is a bit slow in getting the paperwork over to the utility and said it may be another week or two. Now that I’ve paid, I’m not sure how much incentive Tesla has to move. The utility has been very responsive and is also just waiting on Tesla.

Very slow..... installation is completed since last 4 days and inspector gave all paper work in front of me. Now, Advisor says they are working on getting paper work into system and review. Then they will send it to PGE. I'm pretty sure PGE is not taking too much time, it's delay at Tesla's end.

As far as I know there's one department at Tesla that handles all the design work and another one that processes all the paperwork for the utilities (Interconnection Agreement for homeowner and whatever else Tesla as installer sends from their end). No idea how many people work in those areas, but I know when we were waiting for our original permit they said the person who was in contact with our city has been working with cities in our area for some time, so there might be some regionality to who works with what and that would make sense since States, Cities and utilities can vary in requirements.

I believe plans, if altered at install time from what was originally filed need to be updated before submitting to the utility. At least was told that was happening on ours, so that what's been installed matches what the utility will review before granting PTO. Not necessarily something that has to be done on every job I'm sure. But in any event with the volume of installs that they have been doing, it means you are one in a long line of people who are having their plans and paperwork processed with a utility by Tesla. If you went with a smaller third party installer they would have fewer customers and assume the processing would be faster with fewer applications to submit.

Our inspection and approval was on 9/30. Seen a few others on here mention that was their date as well. We're in the SF Bay area and PG&E is our utility. Our installers had told us that they had 5 teams in our area doing installs and the guys said they were working 6 days, one said he even worked on a Sunday to help finish up a job although didn't seem to be the case for the other guys on the team. I was told that PG&E when our our PTO was filed for on 10/5 gave an estimation of 4-5 weeks processing before PG&E would send us an email saying they reviewed and approved it. Tesla said it would take them another day or two after they too got that notification from PG&E to finalize our account and send us the email we could turn on the system. Suspect there is some updating that gets done to the account (ie database additions). I guess it will be what it is although I hope PG&E will get to our application sooner than later. People in other States or areas where there isn't as high a volume of installs might fair better and I'm kind of jealous of those that have super quick turnarounds (seem to be in other areas of the country though).

@Hay2000 see you had yours done same day as ours. Are you in PG&E territory also? My understanding is that the paperwork and filed plans get reviewed by someone at PG&E and that can take some time. It would be nice if we as customers knew exactly what is involved in the behind the scenes work. Their order status only lists a few steps which I guess for most people is just fine.

Yes... SFBayarea. ours was done on 9/30 as well. Next day was inspection and city Inspector gave all paper work to Tesla's Inspection team who is supposed to enter all docs in Tesla system. That's the part they are waiting. Entire week to get paper work entered seems like a big delay. Well, at this point have to just wait. Not too concerned. But nice to have it working ASAP.

Lol I can't believe how sllooowwwww getting Solar and Battery is. I started this in April 2020, but a contract signed in July... and probably won't get installed until November or December. So that means PTO sometime in 2021...

Assume you are PG&E? I’m told their department is swamped with finished installs now awaiting PTO approval. Obviously not all Tesla but from other installers as well. Everyone wanting to complete before end of year. Last year people were backed up too. For us having started first week in January and with MPU and covid shutdown time we’re looking at close to a year so I laugh when people expect a couple month turnaround but understand not everyone had the same issues as us. As mentioned we were given an expected 4-5 weeks timeline back on 10/5, so will be January to November in our case.

Last edited: