Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steps to Secure Data / Billing Info: Trade-in Old Tesla to New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: did have a look but couldn't find a consolidated statement on 'best practice' steps and guidance should anyone ever look to trade-in their old Tesla for a new one.

If anyone has any consolidated steps/recommendations for how to ensure that any profile, personal or billing data is removed from the vehicle/accounts and how best to go about it.

1. Tesla Account has my billing details attached
2. Tesla In Car Profile
3. Any Spotify/Tidal/Web Service/Youtube credentials saved within the car
4. Tesla Keycards
5. Mobile Phone 'Key'

What would a factory reset 'clear' from the above? i.e. items 2 and 3 and 5 wiped from the car.
- Would the Keycards remain functioning, so that 'at home' i can reset the car, and still drive the vehicle to service centre for the trade-in.

What are the best steps to ensure that the original Tesla vehicle, on your Tesla Account, does not still charge your credit/debit card details for any charging/subscriptions - but that you still retain the billing details for the newer vehicle?
- Is it a case where Tesla in the 'back-end' deal with this, or are there specific steps you as the owner need to take i.e. "remove all details / add back details" ?

Figure this is/may become an activity that many go through over the years to come, so may be useful to others.

Much appreciated on the input.

Reactions: beachcomber
A factory reset of the car will do what it says, return everything to the factory settings removing any logins for third party services as well as registered keys except (if my memory is correct) the two that the car was delivered with - so if you don't have them, wait until you get to the handover point and ask one of the Tesla people for help with what to do next.

Unless you have created a new Tesla account, the new car should appear in your existing account and use all of the existing billing details.

When you trade-in the old car Tesla will remove it from your account (I expect that will take up to 48 hours). If they haven't removed it after that, then you can log into your account on the web and select "Manage" for your old car, then "Remove Car" on the bottom right.

That's good to know.

A concern to mind, when viewing the 'new' vehicle, should there be any issues/dents/paint/build elements that need sorting OR (worst case) requiring a refusal of the vehicle - not wishing to snooker myself by completely resetting/removing the car prematurely.

Knowing the keys 'should' still function is useful information.

- Key cards still work
- I did factory reset and it removed my phone keys, contacts, destinations, profile settings etc
- if selling to a third party you have to remove the car from your account page. It then moves to a ‘previous cars’ section in your account and can no longer be used against your registered payment card for supercharging
- if you have outstanding Tesla finance the ‘remove car’ button will be greyed out and you can’t remove the car until Tesla confirm settlement of the finance. When I sold my car to motorway this took slightly less than 24 hours. I was ok leaving the car on my account as they may have needed to charge on the way back (agreed with them in advance)

Reactions: RagingWhisky