Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo Upgrade and Audio Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to upgrade the audio system and would like to swap out the speakers, tweeters, head unit, and add sub woofer. Few questions if the community can help me out that would be awesome so I can gain little more knowledge on the process and procedures of the correct way to do this.

Keep in mind my car already has the upgraded infotainment system with the alpine IVA-NAV-10

1. What, how, or where is the Amp currently connected to? is there a 0 ground power or secondary power system? How is this done? do I need a secondary battery?

2. How much power can I draw connecting the system this way? Do I need a secondary battery? I saw a video of Dr. Taras Roadster at CES using secondary battery which they need to charge with a separate cord to battery in the trunk.

3. The new alpine head units I have read from other articles the backup camera is different connection then the updated units; if I route new camera to the new alpine head unit will the car output and error codes as not reading the old camera not in place? Also read the new rear view camera with new units don't detect when roadster goes in reverse? How does the roadster detect when car is in reverse to enable the backup camera?

4. I read people installing sub woofers in the roadster foot-well; where exactly is the location in foot-well people referring to? The inner where the center console wires are or above underneath the glove box? or on the right side of the passenger foot-well? any pictures of users installed this?

Last edited:
I can answer part of #3 as I retrofit a backup camera into my single din JVC.

The reverse signal is picked up from the taillight and then brought to the dash. The JVC had a harness input for the reverse signal which I spliced into. Some details and pictures in this thread
Rear View Camera (pre-2.5)

The wiring also required a Zener diode because there's still some current in the reverse bulb circuit when reverse is off, but this should be in place from your factory infotainment wiring. The PDF attached is Tesla's instructions on wiring the factory backup camera.

Attachments

• SB-12-17-005_Radio_DDIN_Installation_Rear_Camera_R2.pdf
    968.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Informative
Reactions: jason.tv
don't follow my direction; between the upgrade and the ear pod pros I messed my ears up and having a lot of issues with my hearing and health wise. I had my mids and highs set way to high on the frequency while testing turning music to loud.

don't touch anything; just swap out speakers and leave the amps they have in there; the stereo alpine package they put in the car is actually very good if you use spotify or any other high quality bluetooth service.

There are roadster owners that have yet to try out spotify to see the quality of the audio system.