Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This issue has cropped up again. Nothing on the passenger or back seats. I parked with the windows down in the garage and can reach in and turn the volume up and down but the vehicle doesn't turn the stereo off -- even if I lock the doors with the app. I can't adjust the radio with the app because, unlike when the car is driving, the "media" controls aren't showing up in the app. I went to the garage this morning, stereo off, and when I used the app to turn on the climate to pre-heat the cabin, the stereo came on with it. The only way to turn it off was to reach in, turn the volume to 0 and then preheat. Muting didn't work -- the stereo went on mute but, when I pre-heated with the app, the music came on again. Camp mode is not, and has never been, on.

I do have aftermarket puddle lights but have had them for over a year without this problem. Additionally, the windows are opening and closing properly so I don't think there's a problem with the puddle light. I DID notice shortly after I installed them a malfunction with one of the windows when the passenger side light came loose but that was fixed about a year ago. I'm currently on 2020.48.35.5

Could be a seat sensor issue. It might think someone is still sitting in the driver seat. Probably best to have a service center check.

This issue has cropped up again. Nothing on the passenger or back seats. I parked with the windows down in the garage and can reach in and turn the volume up and down but the vehicle doesn't turn the stereo off -- even if I lock the doors with the app. I can't adjust the radio with the app because, unlike when the car is driving, the "media" controls aren't showing up in the app. I went to the garage this morning, stereo off, and when I used the app to turn on the climate to pre-heat the cabin, the stereo came on with it. The only way to turn it off was to reach in, turn the volume to 0 and then preheat. Muting didn't work -- the stereo went on mute but, when I pre-heated with the app, the music came on again. Camp mode is not, and has never been, on.

I do have aftermarket puddle lights but have had them for over a year without this problem. Additionally, the windows are opening and closing properly so I don't think there's a problem with the puddle light. I DID notice shortly after I installed them a malfunction with one of the windows when the passenger side light came loose but that was fixed about a year ago. I'm currently on 2020.48.35.5
If you kept the OEM puddle lights, I'd try putting them back in for a week or two.

If that doesn't solve it, IMO it's time to call the SC. Your car isn't properly going into sleep mode, and that's not really a good thing....

1. The alarm system won't ever activate

2. Sentry mode won't work

3. Your phantom drain rate is most likely huge

4. There is most likely some "housekeeping" that the car does when it goes into/is in/out of sleep mode.

IMO, this problem needs to be run down and fixed.

Personally, I'm staying away from darn near anything aftermarket for my car. The car is just so highly engineered that in order for it to work, all of the pieces need to be the exact pieces the car expects for it to work correctly.

Reactions: pipp and rpiotro
I think puddle lights a red herring. Lights are on or off and pull some current. There's no intelligence to them. Said another way, they're an output, not an input into the logic system.

There's also a very simple workaround, at least for me. When I get out of the car and realize the lights are still on (it's pretty obvious), I just open/close the driver door and the car is normal again.
Yes, if someone would leave it like that, "on", the heating would work continuously (or AC in some situations), not sleeping. That would be significant drain after a while.

Last edited:
I think puddle lights a red herring. Lights are on or off and pull some current. There's no intelligence to them. Said another way, they're an output, not an input into the logic system.
You would think so, but there have been a few threads here about how they really have thrown a few systems off. Do a quick search, and you'll find that some of the aftermarket puddle lights just don't play well in one way or another.

Oh, just music, then forget my comments on this thread, the issue is different. Anything special about your music setup? Are you using the included streaming? Spotify premium? Does it do it with the radio too? Maybe you're streaming bluetooth from your phone? USB stick with mp3s?

Sentry works. Nothing special with music. I don't have the premium subscription -- it plays music from the FM radio after I get out... not sure about other sources. It doesn't do it every time but often enough to be annoying. It actually only seems to do it at home in the garage, where I have it set for the doors not to lock.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
So you are saying that if you don't hit Mute your Tesla stereo plays after you get out of the car and close the doors? So you car never goes to sleep and the stereo is always playing? That is what the OP is saying although I suspect that they may be mistaken.

All Teslas as well as almost every car ever made should turn off the stereo after you shut off/power off, exit the car and close the doors.

The answer is that his car is not working normally. My music does not continue when I pause it and leave the car. If you can not stop the music or tunein radio then something is wrong.

Reactions: Phlier
Sentry works. Nothing special with music. I don't have the premium subscription -- it plays music from the FM radio after I get out... not sure about other sources. It doesn't do it every time but often enough to be annoying. It actually only seems to do it at home in the garage, where I have it set for the doors not to lock.
As long as all of the other functionality appears to work normally, that brings the "threat level" down a bit, at least in my book.

I would definitely call a Service Center and let them look at the issue. Hopefully they can nail down the exact situation needed to reproduce the bug, and possibly have it fixed in a future firmware update... assuming there isn't something actually wrong with your car.

I just checked and even with 40 lbs of "stuff" (aka small child) in the passenger seat, the stereo and screen still turns off after the doors are closed. Maybe an issue with the driver or passenger seats still sensing someone in the car?

Could be a seat sensor issue. It might think someone is still sitting in the driver seat. Probably best to have a service center check.

d765f90e2dfde10c71cc0052260a3de43a1bbf88.jpg

Nope; I understood the 'problem'. But my point is there's an easy solution: Just click the steering wheel volume button, or mute the source from the screen, and problem solved. So I just don't see what's the big deal. I always turn off/mute the stereo on every car I've ever owned, so I guess I"m used to do that. Teslas are quirky, so we have to learn to live with not having a freaking on/off ignition button, like basically every other car on the planet, electric or not. I've only owned mine 2 weeks, and I'm already used to most of its idiosyncrasies. By the way, the most annyoing BY FAR is the coolant pump (or whatever it is at the front) running like for 10 minutes every time you open a door, or wake up the car. Seems utterly inefficient, but guess there must be a reason for that. At least we have an option to mute the stereo :).
Muting the Audio system is what I do every time I exit the car.

I haven't been able to consistently replicate it but it continues to occur. Muting the stereo is fine to get rid of the noise but the AC etc. also remains on when this is happening as well. This has been happening all year now and through a couple of software updates. Whenever it happens (and I catch it), a two button reset fixes the problem.