Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo won't turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iamnid

Dec 4, 2019
Riverside, CA
We've had a strange issue lately. It seems to be only when we're home too. When the car is parked in the garage, the stereo will not shut off. All doors can be closed etc., car plugged in to charge, and the stereo keeps playing. The only way I've got it to stop is to do a two button reset; however, if I have to go back to the car to get something out of it, the stereo will start as soon as the door is opened and won't turn off again unless the car is reset. Any suggestions?

Does the volume go down when you open the door and does it go back to full level after you exit and close the car door? Is the display going off or staying on too? What happened if you use Power Off in the App after you exit the car?

I'm new to Tesla (and EVs), and I have the same 'problem'. My ex-Porsche also had the same issue: you can only pause/turn speakers off, but not really shut off the stereo system. The Tesla seems to be the same way. So I just turn speakers off by pressing the steering wheel volume button in. If in Spotify or some other media source, you could pause it with the screen too. If a Tesla expert knows how to completely shut off the audio system, we're all ears. Ha ha.

We've had a strange issue lately. It seems to be only when we're home too. When the car is parked in the garage, the stereo will not shut off. All doors can be closed etc., car plugged in to charge, and the stereo keeps playing. The only way I've got it to stop is to do a two button reset; however, if I have to go back to the car to get something out of it, the stereo will start as soon as the door is opened and won't turn off again unless the car is reset. Any suggestions?

Normal behavior should be that after closing the doors when parked, the screen should turn off immediately and the stereo should mute. If plugged in, the screen will stay on for a little bit and display the charging status, but the stereo will still mute immediately.

You're absolutely sure that the doors are all completely closed? No open door warnings? Camping mode is off? Is there anything with significant weight on your front passenger seat? I think the car will stay on if it senses a passenger is still in the front seat (though it's been a while since I left someone in the car, so I don't remember exactly).

Reactions: android04
I'll check all that stuff the next time it happens. I think stuff on the passenger seat is going to be the issue. All doors definitely closed and the volume remains the same as though the car doesn't know we aren't in it any more.

Normal behavior should be that after closing the doors when parked, the screen should turn off immediately and the stereo should mute. If plugged in, the screen will stay on for a little bit and display the charging status, but the stereo will still mute immediately.

You're absolutely sure that the doors are all completely closed? No open door warnings? Camping mode is off? Is there anything with significant weight on your front passenger seat? I think the car will stay on if it senses a passenger is still in the front seat (though it's been a while since I left someone in the car, so I don't remember exactly).

I think they want an off button...
Nothing turns "off" in the car. You can change to an input that doesn't output noise. Or turn down the volume?

I don't know cause I don't have this issue. I either pause the tunein radio station when I want it "off". When i get in the car again, it doesn't turn on. My phone streaming music doesn't auto start either.

I'll check all that stuff the next time it happens. I think stuff on the passenger seat is going to be the issue. All doors definitely closed and the volume remains the same as though the car doesn't know we aren't in it any more.

I just checked and even with 40 lbs of "stuff" (aka small child) in the passenger seat, the stereo and screen still turns off after the doors are closed. Maybe an issue with the driver or passenger seats still sensing someone in the car?

I think they want an off button...
Nothing turns "off" in the car. You can change to an input that doesn't output noise. Or turn down the volume?

I don't know cause I don't have this issue. I either pause the tunein radio station when I want it "off". When i get in the car again, it doesn't turn on. My phone streaming music doesn't auto start either.

I think you and @elptxjc are misunderstanding the problem. OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't looking for an on/off power button to turn off the stereo when parking the car. The normal behavior is that when everyone exits the vehicle and the doors are closed, sound should stop coming out of the speakers and not continue to play. (Whether that's technically the stereo turning "off" or "muting" is irrelevant.) The problem OP seems to be having is the stereo continues to play when the car is parked, doors are closed, and no one is in the car. That shouldn't happen if camping mode is off.

I think you and @elptxjc are misunderstanding the problem.
Nope; I understood the 'problem'. But my point is there's an easy solution: Just click the steering wheel volume button, or mute the source from the screen, and problem solved. So I just don't see what's the big deal. I always turn off/mute the stereo on every car I've ever owned, so I guess I"m used to do that. Teslas are quirky, so we have to learn to live with not having a freaking on/off ignition button, like basically every other car on the planet, electric or not. I've only owned mine 2 weeks, and I'm already used to most of its idiosyncrasies. By the way, the most annyoing BY FAR is the coolant pump (or whatever it is at the front) running like for 10 minutes every time you open a door, or wake up the car. Seems utterly inefficient, but guess there must be a reason for that. At least we have an option to mute the stereo :).

Reactions: hcdavis3
Nope; I understood the 'problem'. But my point is there's an easy solution:...
So you are saying that if you don't hit Mute your Tesla stereo plays after you get out of the car and close the doors? So you car never goes to sleep and the stereo is always playing? That is what the OP is saying although I suspect that they may be mistaken.

All Teslas as well as almost every car ever made should turn off the stereo after you shut off/power off, exit the car and close the doors.

Mine turns off as I expect it to. I’ve only had it a few weeks so I’m still figuring things out but when I exit the car the volume lowers and I think, but am not sure, that it completely turns off when I’ve walked far enough away that the Bluetooth realizes I’m leaving and auto locks the doors. Regardless of when the radio actually turns off. It’s never on when I get back to the car.

Do you have after market “puddle” lights by any chance? I had one of my aftermarket lights cause some weird behavior..window not lowering and making the stereo come on and off when the door was open...

I noticed during installation, when you unplug the factory lights, the windows go up all the way and stereo, turns off...Its worth checking the lights.

Just brainstorm..

Nope; I understood the 'problem'. But my point is there's an easy solution: Just click the steering wheel volume button, or mute the source from the screen, and problem solved. So I just don't see what's the big deal. I always turn off/mute the stereo on every car I've ever owned, so I guess I"m used to do that. Teslas are quirky, so we have to learn to live with not having a freaking on/off ignition button, like basically every other car on the planet, electric or not. I've only owned mine 2 weeks, and I'm already used to most of its idiosyncrasies. By the way, the most annyoing BY FAR is the coolant pump (or whatever it is at the front) running like for 10 minutes every time you open a door, or wake up the car. Seems utterly inefficient, but guess there must be a reason for that. At least we have an option to mute the stereo :).

That's not a solution for an "idiosyncrasy." It's a workaround for something that is not operating normally. Like @JulienW asked, if you don't mute your car after parking and closing the doors, does the stereo just stay on?

Reactions: Phlier
I honestly don't care, but one of these days will try it :). I agree there should be an 'off' button for the stereo, and also an ignition switch, but neither one exists. I'm not losing sleep over that. As long as I can work around such things, or get used to them, no problem for me :). But I'm sure the stereo shuts off after car goes to sleep. The issue is we want to minimize energy lost in stuff like that. And on that point, I don't get why whatever runs when you open a door/trunk, or wake the car up, take so freaking long to shut off. It's a total waste of energy. But maybe there's a reason for that, so will continue putting up with that.

....there should be.... an ignition switch.....
Now that would be a GREAT idea for a Tesla.:D:D:D

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 5.53.52 AM.png

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
This issue has cropped up again. Nothing on the passenger or back seats. I parked with the windows down in the garage and can reach in and turn the volume up and down but the vehicle doesn't turn the stereo off -- even if I lock the doors with the app. I can't adjust the radio with the app because, unlike when the car is driving, the "media" controls aren't showing up in the app. I went to the garage this morning, stereo off, and when I used the app to turn on the climate to pre-heat the cabin, the stereo came on with it. The only way to turn it off was to reach in, turn the volume to 0 and then preheat. Muting didn't work -- the stereo went on mute but, when I pre-heated with the app, the music came on again. Camp mode is not, and has never been, on.

I do have aftermarket puddle lights but have had them for over a year without this problem. Additionally, the windows are opening and closing properly so I don't think there's a problem with the puddle light. I DID notice shortly after I installed them a malfunction with one of the windows when the passenger side light came loose but that was fixed about a year ago. I'm currently on 2020.48.35.5

I never turn anything off on my car. It seems to do that all by itself. When I park I have the a/c running and the music streaming. When I open the door the volume drops, when I close the door the music stops and the a/c turns off. When I get back in later the music picks up right where I left it. I have four puddle lights installed and does not seem to effect it.

Like rhaekar here. Happens sometimes, front lights, music continue playing when i exit. Opening /closing the door fixes it. Seems to happen when I move the car (very short drive) without putting on my seat belt. Also when stopping at the post box and then driving to my house (few hundred feet) without putting my seat belt on...
I'm continuing to take notes of the specific scenario when it happens. Will set an appointment with tech when i understand better what's going on.