Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steve Hobbs D-Lake Stevens trying to increase EV licensing by $200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its always a negotiation with politicians and they WILL find a way to come up with the money one way or another. I do not agree with the 200 though but like I said its expensive to maintain roads and the money has to come from somewhere. I do not however want to or think as an EV owner we should be taxed at a greater rate than the ICE owners.

It is a trick that politicians and other negotiators use. Start with a high bid then offer you a "deal".

Simply ask that since the cost of roads is independent of the propulsion technology, they come up with a system of pricing and payment that is independent of the propulsion technology and appropriate for the use of a vehicle.

The proposed fee increase exacerbates the inconsistencies.

Thanks for the heads-up. I emailed my senator (Marko Liias, one of the co-sponsors) to let him know that I oppose this bill in its current form.

I have no problem paying my fair share of taxes, and I understand the need to fund our transportation infrastructure, but the use of a flat fee for EV drivers vs a usage-based tax for gasoline vehicles doesn't make sense. At my current level of usage (low - roughly 8000 miles/year) my transportation usage tax would be roughly double what it would be if I were driving a gasoline vehicle. That undermines the state's commitment to green energy and EV usage.

FWIW, it seems unlikely that Gov Inslee would sign this bill in its current form while he's pitching himself as the green candidate for US President.

Here is an article about the fee and Steve Hobbs answer:

Washington State Senate transportation bill would more than double electric vehicle registration fees

"There’s a couple of reasons I decided to raise the EV fee to help pay for this plan. First, I tried to diversify the sources of revenue in this plan. I don’t think it’s fair to overly rely on one source of revenue. Second, the fact of the matter is that people who can afford electric vehicles are able to afford to pay a little more in fees. That’s a fact. I don’t want to disincentive people from buying electric vehicles, but I also don’t want to tax people who can’t afford it.

A centerpiece of this plan is the electrification of our highways. This additional fee would go toward that undertaking that we all agree is a crucial step toward lowering carbon emissions.

Nothing in this plan is written in stone, so I look forward to hearing from them and others about ways to make this plan work as intended for everyone."

When I called his office before I was told this was an error but this is now clear it was the plan all along. It is a disincentive as now dealer of Audi for example can use that as a reason to pay there gas powered car as oppose to an model 3. Or give another reason for Nissan dealers not to buy a leaf.

Used 2011 Leaf - $5,999
Used 2015 Smart - $6,499
Used 2013 Leaf - $6,499
Used 2011 Leaf - $6,770....
I could go on and on and on...

There are 317 used EVs on Cars.com right now within 100 miles of me that are priced below $35,000, 26 priced below $10,000. They'd pay the same EV surcharge as someone who buys a new fully loaded X or P100DL. Like I wrote before, this is not a Tesla tax, no matter how he tries to sell it.

I think this is good news...

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your email to express your opposition for SB 5971.

This bill failed to make it out of the Senate Ways and Means Committee in time for the required deadline, which means it is unlikely to pass this year. I will keep your concerns in mind if this comes up for a vote on the House floor.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value the input I receive and hope you will continue to share your views with me.

Regards,

Representative My-Linh Thai, LD41

I don't think that Rep. Thai is correct. This is her first year in the House, and she might not be familiar with all parts of the process. For many bills, she would be correct. I don't think this is one of them. There are a category of bills that are NTIB - Necessary to Implement Budget. I believe this could be considered one of them. Those bills really don't have any deadline other than whenever a budget is eventually passed.

The deadline she's referring to was on March 1st, but this bill didn't even leave the Senate Transportation Committee until at least March 6th. If it was dead, they wouldn't have bothered to work on it after the March 1st cutoff.

Short version -- until the final gavel falls to close the session, don't consider this one dead. If you haven't contacted your legislator, it's not too late. Write, call, stop by their office and talk with their Legislative Assistants, find them in a town hall coming somewhere soon to a location near you.

I'm very active in advocacy in Olympia, and silence is considered to be agreement. If you want something changed, you have to speak up.

Don't play the negotiation game.

The problem isn't the amount. The problem is that EV owners pay a fixed amount while gasoline car buyers pay based on fuel consumption as a proxy for whatever else they're measuring.
The incongruous aspect of this goes far beyond that. It is not a viable solution because gas tax is not paid solely by Washington State vehicle owners. It is paid by purchasers of gasoline from Oregon, California, Canada & beyond (especially truckers) not to mention the fact that out of state EVs would not contribute either. The only truly equatable solution would be per mile traveled in each state through a tracking device that would be required on any vehicle traveling on Washington roads. Seems impractical & unlikely to happen any time soon.

I feel like this would be a good place to bring Tesla into the conversation as well. This affects sales and they have all of the tools (and regulatory heft) to lobby on our behalf.

They use the excuse to impose this fake income tax because they haven't yet figured out how to implement a per mile system. But Tesla could say "give us a Vin list of every Tesla registered in WA and we'll give you a month to month database of odometer numbers and flag any mileage reversals as fraud.

This would be trivial to do and would be a very lightweight database query on Tesla's part. Shouldn't take more than 2s to execute.

Now WA has no excuse.

Washington State Legislature

Bill is officially commentable. Comment away about how it's insane to pay more in gas taxes than a hummer for the most fuel efficient vehicle. Also EVs cost +$15k over an ICE. So the state already got $1.5k extra in sales tax.
This link worked well for me.
My comment sent...

Charging a $350 tax on EVs will make Washington State one of the most regressive states in the country. Switching to an EV is already a leap of faith. This will be a deterrent to new buyers. At the same time the oil industry is getting federaly subsidized with our tax dollars. I will vote against anyone who supports this bill in it’s present form. And I will tell everyone I know who lives in district 18 and elsewhere to do the same.
RESPONSE: You have requested a response from Sen. Ann Rivers, Rep. Brandon Vick, Rep. Larry Hoff

I feel like this would be a good place to bring Tesla into the conversation as well. This affects sales and they have all of the tools (and regulatory heft) to lobby on our behalf.

They use the excuse to impose this fake income tax because they haven't yet figured out how to implement a per mile system. But Tesla could say "give us a Vin list of every Tesla registered in WA and we'll give you a month to month database of odometer numbers and flag any mileage reversals as fraud.

This would be trivial to do and would be a very lightweight database query on Tesla's part. Shouldn't take more than 2s to execute.

Now WA has no excuse.

I would like to see this at least as an opt-in solution. Let people decide to pay a flat fee, or opt-in to a system that measures and charges based on actual mileage. Tesla could even provide a geo-fenced usage report so that you don't get charged for mileage outside Washington.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Apparently, there is a pilot program for per-mile usage tax in WA. They need to at least wait until they have the results from the pilot program before making such drastic and sweeping changes to legislation. This is putting the cart before the horse.

Sorry you don't understand. The fees legally automatically expire as soon as they implement per mile taxation. They are pushing because they know the fees are exorbitant and will be nullified as soon as that pilot program.becomes available. They are going to try and block any progress on per mile billing as long as possible to fleece EV owners for as much as they can.

Sorry you don't understand. The fees legally automatically expire as soon as they implement per mile taxation. They are pushing because they know the fees are exorbitant and will be nullified as soon as that pilot program.becomes available. They are going to try and block any progress on per mile billing as long as possible to fleece EV owners for as much as they can.

Oh, I get it. And I'll be as loud as I can about it.

Apparently, there is a pilot program for per-mile usage tax in WA. They need to at least wait until they have the results from the pilot program before making such drastic and sweeping changes to legislation. This is putting the cart before the horse.
So if I drove 12,000 miles with my previous car, I'd pay ~$190 in gas tax (I actually drove closer to 9k/yr, but 12k is widely considered average). Under the per mile, that would be $288. Under the flat EV fee, it would be $350. There's an unreasonable amount of discrepancy between those three prices.

So if I drove 12,000 miles with my previous car, I'd pay ~$190 in gas tax (I actually drove closer to 9k/yr, but 12k is widely considered average). Under the per mile, that would be $288. Under the flat EV fee, it would be $350. There's an unreasonable amount of discrepancy between those three prices.

Its ridiculous and I hope people are actually leaving comments/making phone calls/sending emails to people in positions who can stop this ish. I emailed him already with my opinion and comments and I hope you have done the same