TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steve Jurvetson On Tesla Motors

Discussion in 'Video' started by ivengo, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Thanks for sharing. He's is a great interviewee for Tesla. Fun to watch his enthusiasm.

2. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Steve is generally a great advocate for Tesla, and EVs in general. Two things he said triggered my BS alarm though (I try to be as objective as I can :biggrin:)

1) I find it very hard to believe that the FIRST Model S off the line has needed no warranty repair and/or maintenance. Steve kind of dodges this question by parroting the hypothetical advantage EVs have in this area due to their comparative simplicity; which brings us to...

2) He states that the TCO is much lower in an EV, which is indeed true with regard to the fuel cost. However, he then makes the common error of conflating a vehicle that requires little maintenance with a vehicle that is cheap to maintain. Model S may require little maintenance compared to a gas vehicle but the actual cost of that maintenance (repairs, annual service) is actually on par with, if not higher than, that of a gas vehicle.

Overall, a very good interview. Not just the same old questions being asked.

3. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

Your first point is probably valid but point number two is not since the warranty on these cars is 8 years for the drive train and battery with unlimited miles. Other stuff that might fail, door handles for instance, are mostly fixed for free besides which I find it hard to believe he would not have paid for the extended warranty which would still be in force.
    But you own a Tesla so maybe you have some other experience to relate.

4. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

All the founders cars had door handle replacements. Heck my Signature has had all the handles replaced 3X.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Love his socks. SpaceX socks? :)