TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steve Wozniak looking to "Bolt" from his Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bro1999, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bro1999

bro1999 Member

http://jalopnik.com/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-is-talking-about-trading-1786328338

[​IMG]

"Knowing myself, it may replace the Tesla. A lot of complaints about the Tesla that my wife and I have are solved in this car. It’s not just some name where you have to take a side. The user conveniences are well thought out and the functionality is great. I tell everyone that the most valuable, useful car of my life was the Prius that I drove for 10 years. I don’t need top-of-the-line luxury. We have a Tesla but there is no other EV choice that’s good for road trips. The Bolt will need some personal testing by Janet and myself to find out how it is on road trips. Otherwise, it’s what we want. Extra features aren’t the big picture, or we’d have skipped the Tesla for a Mercedes."

What about the Model 3??

"Gary, after seeing the insides and the UI, Tesla will have a difficult time selling me a Model 3"

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

So he saw the unfinished Model 3 reveal interior and UI and decided he didn't want that? Or has Woz somehow seen the final interior and UI?

• Funny x 1
  3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I'm not sure I follow Woz's logic, but things like this can only make Tesla try harder to make a better car.

Speaking for myself, I personally wouldn't say things like this publicly until I had a chance to test out the Bolt. Hopefully Woz will update us when he's had a few hundred miles in his.

4. K Hall

K Hall Member

He is supporting the technology and adoption of E vehicles. No different than Elons message evidenced by open source code

5. mediocreguy

mediocreguy Member

I considered the Bolt myself, but the lack of charging for longer trips (CCS or L2) and limited tech feature set (no AP, etc) made the Tesla more attractive - despite it's oft criticized, spartan interior. There also seems to be some doubt as to how hard Chevy will push the Bolt to dealers (and typical car buyers), having (seemly) reserved much of the initial production batch for Lyft drivers...

• Like x 1
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

Since he got his before the Bolt is officially available for sale, did he actually have to buy the car or was this a "comp" from GM for publicity purposes? Sort of like when GM drove a camouflaged Bolt prototype around Tesla HQ, presumably to taunt their competitor.

7. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I am absolutely certain the Bolt, when and if it ships, will be "newer" than a Model S. If you have to have the latest BeV, then the Bolt is for you unless, of course, the Model 3 ships around the same time. If the Bolt ships first, then you will have one of those for a few days, weeks, months,, then you will have a Model 3. If not, then the other way around.

What on earth does this have to do with a quality car? If there is any head in the sand going on, I would think it was the people that originally did the EV1 then crushed them? Remind me again; who was that? Perhaps bankruptcy has made them smarter. You think?

I like the Bolt as it provides more BeV options. Until I see GM building a Gigafactory to produce enough batteries to ship meaningful numbers, it is simply another compliance car or a technology demo to show shareholders they are doing something.

Come on folks, where is the beef????

• Like x 2
  8. Shuasha

Shuasha Member

Seeing as the Bolt starts shipping before the end of the year, I would say they'll be out first.

• Like x 2
  9. ApauloThirteen

#9 ApauloThirteen, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Bolt will be a great in town car. Past 175+ miles/day, you'll want a supercharging network.

These articles are bunk. It's about use case. And what you value.

No offense to Prius drivers but drove several and the take away was, 'great for those who really don't care about having any sort of fun driving experience. Only about the efficiency of point A to B'

• Like x 1
  10. chris5639

chris5639 Member

Most modern computer systems like the ones we have in our cars are firmware upgrade-able. However, most companies don't invest in upgrading those firmware because it does not make good short term financial sense. Better to come out with new features every few years and have your customer buy new than to prolong the appeal of the cars that you already sold and the profit you already realized. Tesla is the exception to this rule and by far is the reason why I would buy another one when the time comes. I would be absolutely shocked to see GM adopt this practice with the Bolt. Even if I liked the Bolt when I finally see one, I would know that the obsolesce will be built in from the factory.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Vitold

Vitold Member

#11 Vitold, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Being technical guy he knows that he looked at alpha version of interior. I think his mind is already set. I think he just wants apple carplay to work which I don't blame him.

• Like x 1
  12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

I hate my prius. It's now the beach vehicle exclusively.

• Like x 2
  13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Since GM is not building a nationwide long distance high speed charging network, I think Woz will find it very challenging to drive a Bolt 300 to 500 miles/day, which is easy to do in a Tesla.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

He wanted the cup-holders.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 3
  15. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Can you please point me to this open source code you speak of?

• Like x 1
  16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I dunno. There's a lot of room for EV competition at the low end. And by low end I mean the low end of maximum range. There are a bunch of people running around in Volts who leverage the electric side just fine.

But the low end is not a game changer. All catering to the low end does is ensure that people keep their gas-guzzling SUV for longer trips. Not compelling.

And that doesn't even begin to take into account the nuances of the driving experience.

You couldn't pay me to drive a Bolt, Leaf, or similar.

In time, people will have the choice of a new Bolt or a used Model S *in the same price range*. It will be interesting to see who chooses what.

• Like x 1
  17. JY07

JY07 Member

With the majority of new cars supporting android auto and apple car play, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.

Exactly

18. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

The TMC spreadsheet has a user named "TheWoz" from San Diego getting a 60 soon. This isn't the same Woz, I assume.

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Frankly I don't give a D about what Wozniak thinks about Tesla, Bolt, or anything else for that matter. Why should anyone? We each have to make our own informed judgments.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 2
  20. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

He is? Afaik the last time he did anything noteworthy of a technical nature was before most people doing technical stuff today were born.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1