Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steve Wozniak looking to "Bolt" from his Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably a bit childish to say this but I lost a bit of respect for Woz to so publicly advertise this. I'd love to know what GM is paying him... The Bolt couldn't hold a candle to anything Tesla is doing... I just don't get why anyone would ever trust GM with ANYTHING electric after what they did to the EV1...

Jeff

I guess the Woz is for sale, just like everybody else of his ilk. Repulsive. But as several have suggested, he's a has-been.

IIRC Woz has a beef with Tesla wrt to AP. That's oK -- it is optional.

His endorsement of the Bolt is actually circumspect and graded since he very clearly points out that it will have to work as a long distance car to meet his priorities. I think he is going to be disappointed but it will be interesting to follow. He could certainly use the Bolt for local commuting and his Prius for long distance driving, although I get the feeling he wants an all-in-one EV. Since my other car will likely remain a Prius I understand where he might be coming from since I also prioritize car functionality over 'performance.' If the Bolt was not GM I would consider it too.

PSA to the rabid Teslerati: Woz is a great guy, an EV advocate, an environmentalist, and has a list of wonderful Social Works to his credit that put to shame this entire forum combined. Put your muzzles back on, and have a clue WTF you are talking about please.

Last edited:
"Gary, after seeing the insides and the UI, Tesla will have a difficult time selling me a Model 3"

Tesla is not trying to sell you a Model 3 if you buy a Bolt, Steve. Please, stay up-to-date on the news, and this is old news.

Now, if you try to by that Mercedes you mention, then Tesla sees that as competition and wants you. But enjoy your Bolt. I really hope it's a great car like you say it is. The more good quality long range EV's on the market, the better. Tesla needs some "competition". Maybe then we'll get a decent amount of cupholders.

Last edited:
PSA to the rabid Teslerati: Woz is a great guy, an EV advocate, an environmentalist, and has a list of wonderful Social Works to his credit that put to shame this entire forum combined. Put your muzzles back on, and have a clue WTF you are talking about please.

Yes, and he is very particular about features. I can see him getting the Bolt because it is new and interesting, as well as having more regular car features.

I'm sure the Woz and wife have several cars. He will somehow manage without supercharging.

IIRC Woz has a beef with Tesla wrt to AP. That's oK -- it is optional.

His endorsement of the Bolt is actually circumspect and graded since he very clearly points out that it will have to work as a long distance car to meet his priorities. I think he is going to be disappointed but it will be interesting to follow. He could certainly use the Bolt for local commuting and his Prius for long distance driving, although I get the feeling he wants an all-in-one EV. Since my other car will likely remain a Prius I understand where he might be coming from since I also prioritize car functionality over 'performance.' If the Bolt was not GM I would consider it too.

I regret having made offensive remarks about Wozniak and you were right to call them out. He's a very decent man and I was out of line.

Incidentally, a few years ago Woz criticized Toyota for the 'unintended acceleration.' It was all the more remarkable because his technical arguments were uninformed or just wrong. At the time I was not sure if he was trolling Toyota or mocking the other "technical analyses" running around. I think it eventually turned out to be some of both and some publicity hounding on his part.

The guy is not perfect, but then I have met very few who are.

Maybe just a little harsh? It's a Tesla forum here, not a monastery. No one is safe from our pitchforks and stakes, well, except maybe our god, Elon... ;)

Bolt will be a great in town car. Past 175+ miles/day, you'll want a supercharging network.

Since GM is not building a nationwide long distance high speed charging network, I think Woz will find it very challenging to drive a Bolt 300 to 500 miles/day, which is easy to do in a Tesla.

I suspect as Tesla tries to monetize their Supercharger network, they will come out with a kind of "reverse CHAdeMO / CCS" adapter that will allow other makes to utilize the network. Elon has always said he wants this to happen. One may have to pay the cost of the adapter plus $2,500 (the current cost to Model S owners to enable Supercharging if not done from the factory) or a per minute or per kWh fee, but I think this is going to happen.

many here are missing a key thing he said...
"
[QUOTE="The user conveniences are well thought out and the functionality is great.
[/QUOTE]
all the great Tesla technology aside for it being called a luxury car it leaves a lot to be desired, I can list many small little anoying worthless or alltogether missing things for the Tesla interior to come close to be called luxury.
Tesla interior designers must go check out the luxury competition and learn a thing or 2 what he mean by "conveniences" and "funcionality"

The Woz . . . . he's gett'n to look about the same size as the Bolt. Actually - that's kind an overstatement . . . it might just be that the Bolt is not THAT big.
1O4CNW3

The Woz meister looks to be about twice this guy's size. Now - he DOES fit alright in his Hummer.
But hey - where's that electric car that apple was rumored/claiming they were going to build. Self driving no less.
:p

Last edited:
I suspect as Tesla tries to monetize their Supercharger network, they will come out with a kind of "reverse CHAdeMO / CCS" adapter that will allow other makes to utilize the network. Elon has always said he wants this to happen. One may have to pay the cost of the adapter plus $2,500 (the current cost to Model S owners to enable Supercharging if not done from the factory) or a per minute or per kWh fee, but I think this is going to happen.
I'm not sure, but I am skeptical.

Adopting Tesla SC as a standard is certainly attractive to Tesla short-term for cash and SC proliferation, and long term to accelerate EV adoption. Clogging Superchargers with slow charging cars is not. Every time I read Elon say he wants partners I mumble to myself "if the price is right."

Reactions: Breezy
Most modern computer systems like the ones we have in our cars are firmware upgrade-able. However, most companies don't invest in upgrading those firmware because it does not make good short term financial sense. Better to come out with new features every few years and have your customer buy new than to prolong the appeal of the cars that you already sold and the profit you already realized. Tesla is the exception to this rule and by far is the reason why I would buy another one when the time comes. I would be absolutely shocked to see GM adopt this practice with the Bolt. Even if I liked the Bolt when I finally see one, I would know that the obsolesce will be built in from the factory.
Yes, but way way better to do it right the first time and not have to patch any bugs. :p

Like the good old Honda Accord. Our 2003 model has only ever had one software glitch. Take that, Tesla! Software with bugs in it is one of my pet peeves. :rolleyes: (I am aware that I might be comparing apples and oranges here, just enjoy the jab -- it's in fun with a side of seriousness.)

many here are missing a key thing he said...

"The user conveniences are well thought out and the functionality is great."

all the great Tesla technology aside for it being called a luxury car it leaves a lot to be desired, I can list many small little anoying worthless or alltogether missing things for the Tesla interior to come close to be called luxury.
Tesla interior designers must go check out the luxury competition and learn a thing or 2 what he mean by "conveniences" and "funcionality"

Like others here, I just assumed "conveniences" & "functionality" were code words for "more cupholders". :)

Last edited: