Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steve Wozniak looking to "Bolt" from his Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak didn’t replace his Tesla with a Chevy Bolt after all – he got another Tesla instead

I am really looking forward to see how the Bolt cheerleaders will spin this one...
do we get a picture with the Bolt in the dustbin , I wonder ?

I think we have the answer, which is "the best defense is a good offense."

Odd that they cannot seem to acknowledge one of the most obvious shortcomings of a product of their beloved GM -- lack of Superchargers or another high speed charging solution for long distance travel. I guess it is easier to just attack other TMC members instead.

Reactions: ZsoZso
I hope Elon calls Woz about his comment that,

"It [Bolt] had a lot of things nicer about it than the Tesla."

I don't mean by this Elon "calling out" Woz, but calling for feedback. whenever Elon is asked for advice about starting a business, he always cites seeking critical feedback from people you trust among few points he makes.

Elon may get a useful answer, or he may hear Woz not really backing up his comments. if it's the latter, I suspect Woz is just not a fan of chasing prestige and status, and though that's not why he got a Tesla, he might have felt some discomfort that some associate those notions with a car he drives.

Reactions: nativewolf

I don't mean by this Elon "calling out" Woz, but calling for feedback. whenever Elon is asked for advice about starting a business, he always cites seeking critical feedback from people you trust among few points he makes.

Elon may get a useful answer, or he may hear Woz not really backing up his comments. if it's the latter, I suspect Woz is just not a fan of chasing prestige and status, and though that's not why he got a Tesla, he might have felt some discomfort that some associate those notions with a car he drives.
Hint, nicer things = media player.

Woz may not be chasing prestige and status, but lately he does seem to be chasing publicity. It wouldn't surprise me too much if the above statement is the verbal equivalent of click-bait.

Or maybe Woz likes physical buttons and dials over the mostly-touch interface of the S. Or he likes Apple CarPlay. Or he likes grab handles on the ceiling. It's not that hard to come up with things the Bolt does better depending on what one wants -- many people here have been complaining about some of this stuff for a while.

Ordered a Bolt Premier last night - Page 3 - Chevy Bolt EV Forum

If the poster's account is accurate, one reason the Woz didn't buy a Bolt could have been because the Bolt he wanted was ninja'd by someone else first! So the Woz got a Tesla instead. That would be hilarious if true.

"I spoke with my Bolt salesman today. He gave me all the paperwork sometime ago with color of car and order number. I have been in contact with Chevy chat about the statues of my car and have the VIN number too. So he asked me if I know who the Woz is and that his area manager was trying to get my car for him. He told the guy that financing was already set up for the car and the answer was no. Wonder if the Woz first choice was Arctic Blue? Hope I see the car in 2016."

Tried skimming the thread, couldn't find it. Is there an itemized list of all the the things Wozniak doesn't like about his Tesla?

"Ease of use" was one reason he said. Probably referring to the Bolt's smaller footprint (thus superior mobility in tight areas) and more upright seating position and vertical cabin space.

Also, I'm sure Apple Carplay was another plus. ;)

You might to be able to . . . . in 6 or 7 years - if they build out their DC QC network. But GM et al are lukewarm about paying for their own infrastructure - hoping others (taxpayers?) will do it for them.
I drove my Bolt EV from San Francisco to Los Angeles via an extended dinner layover in Santa Barbara with family there. That amounts to around 440 miles. That was easily and conveniently done using EVgo 125A CCS 50 kW charging stations.

In my case, I was there for business and vacation over a total 5 day trip that ended up with 1,400 miles added to the odometer, almost all of them from DC charging.

In reality, GM is counting on Volkswagen to pay for the highway charging infrastructure in the United States as part of their dieselgate court settlement with the EPA and California. VW will pay out about $2 billion during 10 years to build out zero emission charging. The first round of construction will begin by the end of this year and their draft initial 2.5 year spending plan is due to be released within the next 48 hours.

I'm going to guess the majority of that initial spending will be relegated to the West Coast, which is great for the region, but not so helpful for the rest of us.

Looking forward to the details either way, $2 billion buys a lot of chargers.
Well, yes, since 40% of the money is set aside for California due to the state's involvement in investigating VW and its unique role in emissions regulation -- and almost half of all plugin vehicles in the US are sold in California.

Well, yes, since 40% of the money is set aside for California due to the state's involvement in investigating VW and its unique role in emissions regulation
All true, but I thought the money was split by fraction of polluting diesels in each state. I don't know if CA was particularly fond of diesels, but they sure have a lot of every type of cars and therefore take a big piece of the pie.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
All true, but I thought the money was split by fraction of polluting diesels in each state. I don't know if CA was particularly fond of diesels, but they sure have a lot of every type of cars and therefore take a big piece of the pie.
You are probably thinking of Appendix D, the environmental trust fund set up to offset the excessive VW NOx emissions.

The $2 billion zero emission charging program administered by VW itself that I was referring to is Appendix C.