Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steve Wozniak looking to "Bolt" from his Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bro1999

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
http://jalopnik.com/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-is-talking-about-trading-1786328338

fidbogdz4guobawaszqy.jpg

"Knowing myself, it may replace the Tesla. A lot of complaints about the Tesla that my wife and I have are solved in this car. It’s not just some name where you have to take a side. The user conveniences are well thought out and the functionality is great. I tell everyone that the most valuable, useful car of my life was the Prius that I drove for 10 years. I don’t need top-of-the-line luxury. We have a Tesla but there is no other EV choice that’s good for road trips. The Bolt will need some personal testing by Janet and myself to find out how it is on road trips. Otherwise, it’s what we want. Extra features aren’t the big picture, or we’d have skipped the Tesla for a Mercedes."

What about the Model 3??

"Gary, after seeing the insides and the UI, Tesla will have a difficult time selling me a Model 3"

I'm not sure I follow Woz's logic, but things like this can only make Tesla try harder to make a better car.

Speaking for myself, I personally wouldn't say things like this publicly until I had a chance to test out the Bolt. Hopefully Woz will update us when he's had a few hundred miles in his.

I considered the Bolt myself, but the lack of charging for longer trips (CCS or L2) and limited tech feature set (no AP, etc) made the Tesla more attractive - despite it's oft criticized, spartan interior. There also seems to be some doubt as to how hard Chevy will push the Bolt to dealers (and typical car buyers), having (seemly) reserved much of the initial production batch for Lyft drivers...

Reactions: K Hall
Since he got his before the Bolt is officially available for sale, did he actually have to buy the car or was this a "comp" from GM for publicity purposes? Sort of like when GM drove a camouflaged Bolt prototype around Tesla HQ, presumably to taunt their competitor.

I am absolutely certain the Bolt, when and if it ships, will be "newer" than a Model S. If you have to have the latest BeV, then the Bolt is for you unless, of course, the Model 3 ships around the same time. If the Bolt ships first, then you will have one of those for a few days, weeks, months,, then you will have a Model 3. If not, then the other way around.

What on earth does this have to do with a quality car? If there is any head in the sand going on, I would think it was the people that originally did the EV1 then crushed them? Remind me again; who was that? Perhaps bankruptcy has made them smarter. You think?

I like the Bolt as it provides more BeV options. Until I see GM building a Gigafactory to produce enough batteries to ship meaningful numbers, it is simply another compliance car or a technology demo to show shareholders they are doing something.

Come on folks, where is the beef????

Bolt will be a great in town car. Past 175+ miles/day, you'll want a supercharging network.

These articles are bunk. It's about use case. And what you value.

No offense to Prius drivers but drove several and the take away was, 'great for those who really don't care about having any sort of fun driving experience. Only about the efficiency of point A to B'

Last edited:
Most modern computer systems like the ones we have in our cars are firmware upgrade-able. However, most companies don't invest in upgrading those firmware because it does not make good short term financial sense. Better to come out with new features every few years and have your customer buy new than to prolong the appeal of the cars that you already sold and the profit you already realized. Tesla is the exception to this rule and by far is the reason why I would buy another one when the time comes. I would be absolutely shocked to see GM adopt this practice with the Bolt. Even if I liked the Bolt when I finally see one, I would know that the obsolesce will be built in from the factory.

Bolt will be a great in town car. Past 175+ miles/day, you'll want a supercharging network.

These articles are bunk. It's about use case. And what you value.

No offense to Prius drivers but drove several and the take away was, 'great for those who really don't care about having any sort of fun driving experience. Only about the efficiency of point A to B'

I hate my prius. It's now the beach vehicle exclusively.

Woz: "We have a Tesla but there is no other EV choice that’s good for road trips. The Bolt will need some personal testing by Janet and myself to find out how it is on road trips."
Since GM is not building a nationwide long distance high speed charging network, I think Woz will find it very challenging to drive a Bolt 300 to 500 miles/day, which is easy to do in a Tesla.

I dunno. There's a lot of room for EV competition at the low end. And by low end I mean the low end of maximum range. There are a bunch of people running around in Volts who leverage the electric side just fine.

But the low end is not a game changer. All catering to the low end does is ensure that people keep their gas-guzzling SUV for longer trips. Not compelling.

And that doesn't even begin to take into account the nuances of the driving experience.

You couldn't pay me to drive a Bolt, Leaf, or similar.

In time, people will have the choice of a new Bolt or a used Model S *in the same price range*. It will be interesting to see who chooses what.

Reactions: TrendTrader007
Most modern computer systems like the ones we have in our cars are firmware upgrade-able. However, most companies don't invest in upgrading those firmware because it does not make good short term financial sense.

With the majority of new cars supporting android auto and apple car play, I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.

I think he just wants apple carplay to work which I don't blame him.

Exactly