Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... to update everyone, I just finish installing the plates and I think they look great, much better than I was expecting.

The number plate holders were super simple to take off, I'm the worst with DIY as well, so this is like a 1/10 hard.

I used some post it notes to mark where the plate should go after the mounts come off.

The plates were super sticky, but followed the instructions to put them on with soap and they held great whilst installing, I was slightly worried about the screw holes making the finished result look "lumpy and bumpy" but no issues at all.

Here's a picture of the final result (I masked the last part of the plate but gives you an idea)

QTGh1Nw.jpg
Did they come with the GB & Logo, or did you have to choose an extra option (can't see how to order for stick-on plates)?

So... to update everyone, I just finish installing the plates and I think they look great, much better than I was expecting.

The number plate holders were super simple to take off, I'm the worst with DIY as well, so this is like a 1/10 hard.

I used some post it notes to mark where the plate should go after the mounts come off.

The plates were super sticky, but followed the instructions to put them on with soap and they held great whilst installing, I was slightly worried about the screw holes making the finished result look "lumpy and bumpy" but no issues at all.

Here's a picture of the final result (I masked the last part of the plate but gives you an idea)

QTGh1Nw.jpg

This looks neat. I like the fact that you have no border on the stick-on plate. I think I may go for one without the GB logo for an even more minimalist look - unlikey to take the car across the channel.

The stick-on plates probably improves the aero dynamics by a fractional amout too :) every little helps when you have the SR+. May also go back on a diet.....

• Funny
Reactions: Blueskye and Roy W.
Stuck mine on. They're not 100% flat - lumps for the screw holes (and at the back, an indentation) are there if you look closely, but from a foot away you wouldn't know.

View attachment 454192 View attachment 454193

Those plates look illegal, not because they are stick on, but because they don't have the BS number and manufacturer on them from what I can see. (The white car might be ok)

Reactions: m3p_uk
Those plates look illegal, not because they are stick on, but because they don't have the BS number and manufacturer on them from what I can see. (The white car might be ok)

Yep, mine have the extra info on, purchased from the link in the post. No issues so far and have recently been followed a few times by the police (I live near a station! Nothing to do with my driving!)

• Funny
Reactions: pmg102 and Roy W.

George, I went through this palaver not through some rebellious streak but out of necessity. I own an American RV with odd square recesses at both ends requiring both a square plate and a smaller size than euro equivalents like a Land Rover etc.

Any company supplying plates without you present (as you rightly state) and without the garage details etc on them is supplying you with ‘show plates’ and there are a million of them on eBay. They all claim legality but it just doesn’t add up if you read the regs.

Also some countries like France insist on plates being screwed on.

So essentially, any plate that doesn’t get made with you and your documents present is questionable as is a stick on. But is it a problem in reality? No not really. Many RV owners are forced to use the online folks and some don’t have the details on as required by law but nobody known on forums etc has ever had a problem with the police or an MOT tester. A fellow RVer working in the motor trade got my private plates done with all the legal small text at the bottom when I sold him my RV with the private plate and he transferred it so I don’t speak from experience but I think it’s not really an issue in the main and the worst you’ll get is being asked to take them off (never heard of that happening).

You don’t need GB plates if you have a GB sticker like the magnetic ones affixed to the rear. EU or no EU, it’s not law as far as I can tell and my RV doesn’t have them despite the plates being made less than a year ago.

Anyone with greater knowledge, feel free to correct me. Just sharing my experience to date.

George, I went through this palaver not through some rebellious streak but out of necessity. I own an American RV with odd square recesses at both ends requiring both a square plate and a smaller size than euro equivalents like a Land Rover etc.

Any company supplying plates without you present (as you rightly state) and without the garage details etc on them is supplying you with ‘show plates’ and there are a million of them on eBay. They all claim legality but it just doesn’t add up if you read the regs.

Also some countries like France insist on plates being screwed on.

So essentially, any plate that doesn’t get made with you and your documents present is questionable as is a stick on. But is it a problem in reality? No not really. Many RV owners are forced to use the online folks and some don’t have the details on as required by law but nobody known on forums etc has ever had a problem with the police or an MOT tester. A fellow RVer working in the motor trade got my private plates done with all the legal small text at the bottom when I sold him my RV with the private plate and he transferred it so I don’t speak from experience but I think it’s not really an issue in the main and the worst you’ll get is being asked to take them off (never heard of that happening).

You don’t need GB plates if you have a GB sticker like the magnetic ones affixed to the rear. EU or no EU, it’s not law as far as I can tell and my RV doesn’t have them despite the plates being made less than a year ago.

Anyone with greater knowledge, feel free to correct me. Just sharing my experience to date.

I thought vehicles made after a certain data would fail an MOT if the BS number and supplier were missing? Some of the vehicle types you mention fall outside that class eg import or older cars. Whether a friendly MOT inspector would fail it is another matter. But even show plates can be ordered with the BS number on them, they don't particularily care what you ask for. I guess my point is, if you're going to do it, find one that will add the extra details as at least you can look a copper in the eye and say "whats the problem officer, it has all BS mark on it, what do you mean its not legal?"

I thought vehicles made after a certain data would fail an MOT if the BS number and supplier were missing?
My understanding is that there are no longer any checks for this in the MOT but the police sometimes give warnings or fixed penalties for number plates that don't conform to the standards. But I think they tend to concentrate on plates with undersize lettering, the wrong font, incorrect spacing and strategically placed screws i.e. things that seem intended to evade ANPR.

That looks correct https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...dentification-of-the-vehicle.html#section_0.1

And nothing about not being stuck on other than "be fitted vertically, or as close to vertical as is reasonably practicable" which looks fine with these imho.

I've highlighted in bold red

0.1 Registration plates
You must check the registration plates on all vehicles except for:

• unregistered vehicles
  • foreign registered vehicles
  • diplomatic vehicles
  • military vehicles
You do not need to inspect the following items:

• the supplier’s name
  • postcode
  • BS number
  • logos or emblems outside the minimum margin around the registration number
Three-wheeled vehicles that do not have a body type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle do not require a front number plate. All other vehicles, including quadricycles, must be fitted with front and rear registration plates, which must both be checked to ensure the registration number displayed is the same.

Registration plates must not:

• be obscured, excessively damaged, deteriorated or delaminated
  • have background overprinting
  • have any feature or fixing that has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters
  • have a honeycomb or similar effect background on vehicles first registered on or after 1 September 2001 – back lit registration plates may have a honeycomb type construction which should not be confused with a honeycomb effect background
You should pay particular attention to the position of any fixing screws or bolts as well as any delamination of the number plate as this can prevent identification of the vehicle by automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras which ‘see’ any non-reflective material as being black.

Registration plates may:

• have an optional non-reflective border displayed within the margin – this must be no wider than 6mm and not within 5mm of the characters
  • display white, grey or silver characters on a black background – only on vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1978
Registration plate characters:

• may contain grey, possibly to achieve a 3D effect
  • must be the correct size, stroke width and spacing
  • must not be italic, sloping or formed using broken or multiple strokes
  • must be laid out in the correct format for the age of vehicle
  • must be formed using the prescribed font or be substantially similar to the prescribed font – as shown below
You do not have to physically measure the characters or their spacing and you should only reject them if they are obviously incorrect.

image1.png

Registration plates fitted to vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1978 must:

• have black characters on a white background when fitted to the front
  • have black characters on a yellow background when fitted to the rear
  • be fitted vertically, or as close to vertical as is reasonably practicable
Registration plates may be in a single or two line formats. Additionally, a three line format is permitted on vehicles first used before 1 September 2001.

image2.png

Registration plates must meet the dimensional requirements shown in the example below. However, the space between a number ‘1’ or a letter ‘I’ and another character is permitted to be proportionately greater.

Vehicles with non-date related plates, such as those issued before 1963 and Northern Ireland plates must still meet the separation requirement between groups of characters where relevant.

image3.png

Vehicles registered before 1 September 2001 can have larger plates fitted with characters 89mm high and other relevant dimensions that are subsequently larger.

Tricycles, quadricycles and imported vehicles that do not have the space for standard sized registration plates can have smaller registration plates.

Had planned to put stick-on plates on Front and Rear of my Model 3. Front is easy and you get a great finish. As @Tony Hoyle states the rear are a bit less successful due to the screw holes and indents. I ended up removing the frame and just connecting the aluminium plates directly onto the holder. Not quite as sleek as a stick-on but I think a lot better than the standard.

Attachments

• Front Plate.jpeg
    Front Plate.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 708
  • Rear Plate.jpeg
    Rear Plate.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 634
Reactions: roadcred