Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on number plates M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

Had my M3 since December 2021 and love it. One thing that does annoy me a little is that the number plates and brackets look out of place, blocky and flimsy.

I am looking for recommendations about where to purchase good quality, UK road legal stick on number plates to replace the brackets. Any advice on installation would also be welcome. Also if anyone has them already on Midnight Silver M3 with pictures that would be really helpful to see what it looks like!

Cheers in advance

Hi everyone.

Had my M3 since December 2021 and love it. One thing that does annoy me a little is that the number plates and brackets look out of place, blocky and flimsy.

I am looking for recommendations about where to purchase good quality, UK road legal stick on number plates to replace the brackets. Any advice on installation would also be welcome. Also if anyone has them already on Midnight Silver M3 with pictures that would be really helpful to see what it looks like!

Cheers in advance
Do a search on the forum ... there has been lots and lots of discussion on this.

Reactions: DoricJim
Finally bit the bullet and got rid of the black brackets and frames. Purchased a stick-on and acrylic EV plate from Proplates.co.uk £28 for both plates. IMO the car looks better and it should be easier to clean them compared to the old ones that were difficult to clean behind the brackets.
20230317_142352a.jpg20230317_161625a.jpg20230317_161645a.jpg
Tip: when fitting the stick-on plate use water with a drop of fairy liquid in a spray bottle and spray the car and the back of the number plate. That was you can move the stick-on plate around to get it in the correct position. Once positioned, squeezy out the water using a credit card/cloth and wipe off any excess water.

Reactions: spdpsba
Finally bit the bullet and got rid of the black brackets and frames. Purchased a stick-on and acrylic EV plate from Proplates.co.uk £28 for both plates. IMO the car looks better and it should be easier to clean them compared to the old ones that were difficult to clean behind the brackets.
View attachment 918524View attachment 918525View attachment 918526
Tip: when fitting the stick-on plate use water with a drop of fairy liquid in a spray bottle and spray the car and the back of the number plate. That was you can move the stick-on plate around to get it in the correct position. Once positioned, squeezy out the water using a credit card/cloth and wipe off any excess water.
Great looks!

Hi everyone.

Cheers in advance
You’ll struggle with “UK Legal” stick on plates as the latest BS marking includes a min test of stiffness I believe.

British number plates are resistant to bending, because they need to stay fixed on a vehicle. Notably, even on a curved surface like the rear of a vehicle. So this test checks a plate can support a 3kg weight for 2 hours or more. The standard states that if a number plate stays bent more than 25mm it fails this test.

I love the look, but you’re probably moving into territory where you’re not compliant with the law.

You’ll struggle with “UK Legal” stick on plates as the latest BS marking includes a min test of stiffness I believe.

British number plates are resistant to bending, because they need to stay fixed on a vehicle. Notably, even on a curved surface like the rear of a vehicle. So this test checks a plate can support a 3kg weight for 2 hours or more. The standard states that if a number plate stays bent more than 25mm it fails this test.

I love the look, but you’re probably moving into territory where you’re not compliant with the law.

I do realise that I will be "sailing close to the wind" with the front plate, but I had one on my previous model 3 and never had an issue.
In fact, looking at rear number plates around here today, most are covered in dirt (due to the weather) and are hardly readable. These cars should be stopped first.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I do realise that I will be "sailing close to the wind" with the front plate, but I had one on my previous model 3 and never had an issue.
In fact, looking at rear number plates around here today, most are covered in dirt (due to the weather) and are hardly readable. These cars should be stopped first.
I think they look really good on Tesla’s. You’d be very unlucky to be stopped because of it. However if you drive in a manner that brings you to attention you’ve given them a freebie for enforcement 🤣

Reactions: Adopado
The latest standard became compulsory Aug ‘21 so on a vehicle registered before then you could always state the plates were put on before the rules changed. As stated above you would be very unlucky to be pulled up on this but it would be difficult for a vinyl plate to pass the abrasive tests even if the bend test can include the thing it is stuck to (I.e. the bumper).

HI all
I put front stick on plate back in Nov from onestopnumberplates and it looks great. However, I now have peeling top corners which has attracted dirt etc plus a few spots along the top of the plate.
Has anyone had this and managed to stick back down? if so, what would be safe to use?

Thanks for any help