Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question to all of you who have successfully attached the rear self adhesive (stick on) vinyl number plate to the back of the car. What did you do with the "slot" ("gap") on the surface where the two screws were? Did you stick the plate on top of it like it was or did you try to cover (fill in) the slot? The front looks easy since there are just two small holes from the screws that can be filled in with blu tack or a silicone filler. But I am concerned abt this big slot behind the rear number plate holder and not sure what to do abt it. I could not find any video on Youtube how to handle it. Thanks for practical advice (and photos would be appreciated!)!

Question to all of you who have successfully attached the rear self adhesive (stick on) vinyl number plate to the back of the car. What did you do with the "slot" ("gap") on the surface where the two screws were? Did you stick the plate on top of it like it was or did you try to cover (fill in) the slot? The front looks easy since there are just two small holes from the screws that can be filled in with blu tack or a silicone filler. But I am concerned abt this big slot behind the rear number plate holder and not sure what to do abt it. I could not find any video on Youtube how to handle it. Thanks for practical advice (and photos would be appreciated!)!
Some levelled the hole with blue tac, others just put the plate onto it directly.

Personally, I affixed the standard plate directly to the rear and used stick on for the front only.

I didn’t bother with filling the gap, just don’t press on in that area when installing. No issues so far.

I didn’t fill any of the holes or gaps. At the front I gently deburred the two screw holes. If I were to do the back again I’d fill in the gap with a slab of blu-tak. Having said that, mine still looks like new.

Photos of mine here: Stick on number plate

Showplates express do the green flash but you have to have a country badge and name on it. The plates are BS marked, front and rear for £20 and arrive within 3-4 days.

Note - the plates from here do not fit into the factory holders (they are thicker than the ones Tesla supply) which for this thread is fine as they can be fixed to the factory holders using VFB tape.

B6DE81D3-9789-42C8-BC59-C1E5230CD6A8.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Thanks. Quibbles over the Welsh flag on a green background aside, that looks good. I think it would work on a white car too, probably blue as well. Not so sure how the green flash licence plate would look on a red tesla... which is what I have on order.

Thanks. Quibbles over the Welsh flag on a green background aside, that looks good. I think it would work on a white car too, probably blue as well. Not so sure how the green flash licence plate would look on a red tesla... which is what I have on order.
Would look like a green car with a red sticker if you were colour blind.

How are people's vinyl plates looking after a year? Both my front and rear are peeling around the edges.

The shop isn't offering any replacement - I have to buy a plate again (they are just giving me last years price). I'm going to use 3M tape and the metal place on the back, and just replace the front - but not sure if I should use a different shop if people are seeing better results elsewhere.

How are people's vinyl plates looking after a year? Both my front and rear are peeling around the edges.

The shop isn't offering any replacement - I have to buy a plate again (they are just giving me last years price). I'm going to use 3M tape and the metal place on the back, and just replace the front - but not sure if I should use a different shop if people are seeing better results elsewhere.
Mine have been fitted for 14 months from OneStopNumberPlates, and they still look like new. No sign of peeling.

Reactions: Rustybkts
About the only thing the could have done incorrectly is failed to clean and/or degrease the area under the plates.

Do you use a mechanical car wash, or wash by hand?
The car had just been detailed, so was as clean as a whistle! At the time the front plate wasn't sticking very well at the edges, and now a year later both plates have peeled.

Either there was an issue with the plates adhesive or they didn't like sticking to the ceramic coating.

I always wash by hand.

The car had just been detailed, so was as clean as a whistle! At the time the front plate wasn't sticking very well at the edges, and now a year later both plates have peeled.

Either there was an issue with the plates adhesive or they didn't like sticking to the ceramic coating.

I always wash by hand.
It could well be the ceramic coating. I purposely didn't polish the area under the plates, and thoroughly degreased it with IPA before sticking the plates on. It was also a fairly warm day, which helps the adhesive stick.