Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick with eGolf or trade for MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another post that's a personal decision but wanted to float it on the forum.

I got a screamer of a deal on a 2019 eGolf last year. Price to me was $23k but with fed/cal/pge rebates it was closer to $15k with taxes/drive-off etc.

I've only put 2k miles on it in a year and Tesla will give me $18.5 trade-in. Do I go for MY? I'm worried about the long-term depreciation on the eGolf but as a 2nd car (in a covid world) it doesn't get much use really. I would have to pro-rate my CA rebate based on <30 month ownership too.

Reactions: gabeincal
Trade, you’ve got a great deal and you will really appreciate the step up. I had a late model Volt and moved up to the Y. Even though I really liked the Volt, the Y is a much nicer vehicle.
The fact that you’re asking on the Tesla forum as opposed to the VW forum probably means that you want to be talked into it. You won’t regret it.

Reactions: kmacm20 and gene
I also have a 2019 e-Golf and after a test drive I placed an order for a Model Y.

I cancelled the Model Y order this week for a variety of reasons. Vroom was offering me $25,700 for the Golf but this dropped suddenly to $21,500 last week, taking me from a $3,500 profit to a $700 loss.

The Golf is undeniably screwed together better than the Model Y and the build quality concerns that come up time and time again do worry me a bit.
The Golf is a great second car for local trips - I have a BMW M850i I would want to take on road trips so the longer range of the Model Y isn't really that useful to me at the moment.
There is also some uncertainty over the pot of money funding the $5,000 NJ EV rebate after they reallocated a large chunk of it.

It was much easier to justify when I could have made a profit by selling the Golf but now the potential net cost has jumped by $8,500 it seemed less sensible.

I think I'm going to re-assess next year, I'm also hoping that more information on the Volvo XC40 Recharge appears soon.

Look, you know what issues to look for at the delivery on TMY, check the hatch, check the paint, alignment - something not to your liking - walk away - what you got to to lose? The build quality is getting better and they are recognizing the common issues. My TMY just needed the hatch realigned at one service visit and I am waiting for a new spoiler - mobile service. I am enjoying every minute of it - I only had the car for one month and I already had several features added via software updates like repeater cameras on back up with rear view... etc.

I got a screamer of a deal on a 2019 eGolf last year.
So you bought a 125 miles range EV for $15k one year ago.
Now you consider a 300 miles range EV but you have to paid an extra $50k.

Well, giving you an advise is difficult as it depend of your usage and spending priorities.

If you mostly use your car for city driving or small day trips on weekend, the e-Golf fit the bill.
And if you only occasionally make a long trip, you can just rent a bigger car, like SilverCar.com if you like German cars.

So one alternative is to keep your $50k invested or to spend your $50k and get a car that you can use anywhere you want to go.

The problem with EVs is that every six months or so, new car are coming with competitive prices and features.
If you are not in hurry, why not waiting comparing the Model Y with the VW ID4, Volvo XC40 Recharge, Polestar 2, Mustang E....
Because if you get the Model Y now, in one year you might have the same dilemma.

I just try to understand the situation you were one year ago and select the e-Golf against the Model 3, Hyundai Kona. Ionoq ...
May be you needed a car but the Model 3 was not a hatchback and the Model Y was not yet available, so the e-Golf was just temporary?

Since you live in a city like San Francisco, where parking is an issue, may be you should also test drive the Model Y
to check how you like it, as this car is certainly bigger (15' 7") than the e-Golf (14').
I wonder in fact if Tesla will ever sell in the US a smaller car but with a big battery which could be a better solution for your need?

Last edited:
Reactions: Puma2020
I just try to understand the situation you were one year ago and select the e-Golf against the Model 3, Hyundai Kona. Ionoq ...
May be you needed a car but the Model 3 was not a hatchback and the Model Y was not yet available, so the e-Golf was just temporary?
I test drove the M3 but my wife didn't like the low sedan feel. The eGolf isn't too different but I couldn't say no to a car with positive equity from day 1. They're depreciating like mad now but I guess even if it goes to $0 I've still lost less than even the most bullish MY deprecation 3 year curve. The eGolf is just blah to own and drive. Can't get the family in the car really - need to plan carefully for long trips etc etc

Reactions: Watts_Up
Depends on your needs and current circumstances. Do you need more space and longer range? Are you willing to pony up $35k to cover the remaining balance for a MY? Try getting a quote from Vroom. They offered me $4k more than Tesla, which I took. The MY is better than the e-golf in every way except for cost. But $15k for an e-Golf is a steal.

Another post that's a personal decision but wanted to float it on the forum.

I got a screamer of a deal on a 2019 eGolf last year. Price to me was $23k but with fed/cal/pge rebates it was closer to $15k with taxes/drive-off etc.

I've only put 2k miles on it in a year and Tesla will give me $18.5 trade-in. Do I go for MY? I'm worried about the long-term depreciation on the eGolf but as a 2nd car (in a covid world) it doesn't get much use really. I would have to pro-rate my CA rebate based on <30 month ownership too.

I also purchased an eGolf in May of 2019. After rebates I came out at about $16k. We took delivery of our Y (for my wife) on 8/1/20. NO COMPARISON AT ALL. I actually am so impressed and jealous enough that I now plan to purchase a M3 Dual Motor for myself. I plan to order it when the heatpump/octovalve is available.

Don't get me wrong, the eGolf is fine. In fact the purchase was intended to verify if EV ownership was a viable lifestyle change. Now we exclusively drive EV's (and now I want a better one).

As for the eGolf, I do find the front end to be to light with to much wheel spin. It was pretty much expected with no engine upfront (now a light motor) and the batteries in the back being retrofitted from and ICE.

As for efficiency I am able to consistently achieve between 5 and 6 miles / kWh in the eGolf while I have been consistently between 4 and 5 miles / kWh in the Y (which is still extremely impressive).

Edit: I also checked the trade in value of my eGolf recently with 19k miles.

Attachments

• vroom.JPG
    vroom.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Edit: I also checked the trade in value of my eGolf recently with 19k miles.
Do you have the SEL? Or maybe it's a region thing because in the Bay Area with only 2.5k miles I only get $18.8k from Vroom.

Front-end is very light. I had an i3 before eGolf and those tires would stick to the road but eGolf has some low resistance tires which never hold the road.

If the Cybertruck was out it'd be an easy decision to replace our family ICE (VW Atlas) but I'm not sure the MY would suffice for that today.

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question. If the egolf works, keep it. You should get the Y to replace your ICE.

Since the Y isn’t viable for your long term trips, what’s your reason to buy? That cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Personally for me my household will be EV only. I had to get a car due to lease ending. I was only looking at EVs when I bought the Y. When we are ready to again be a 2 car household, we will go long range with the Cybertruck. Maybe that’s what you should go for? That or a Rivian. But you already spelled out you have cash burning a hole in your pocket and that’s your reason to look at the Y

The Y is far superior to your compliance car, but sounds like you’re fine what you have.

Why on earth would you want to trade?
Yes, the Y is bigger, more fun to drive, quicker, has a nice safety record and you can play video games if you are somewhere parked for a long time, but it's a Tesla!
Do you want to put up with having a Tesla? The people looking at you and your car. Having to be nice and answer their questions. Giving friends and family rides because they don't understand EVs. Having to wash and wax your car because you want it to look nice. The headaches of knowing you now have one of the rarest 1st world problems that very few others understand. Plus having to deal with those ICE trucks that want you to breath their diesel fumes (i.e. the coal roll). Why put yourself through that? Why would you want that "tesla smile" on your face every day you drive it? Y? Y? Y?

I test drove the M3 but my wife didn't like the low sedan feel. The eGolf isn't too different but I couldn't say no to a car with positive equity from day 1. They're depreciating like mad now but I guess even if it goes to $0 I've still lost less than even the most bullish MY deprecation 3 year curve. The eGolf is just blah to own and drive. Can't get the family in the car really - need to plan carefully for long trips etc etc
Can you charge at home? If so, what kind of charging L1 (120 V) or L2 (240 V) do you use for the eGolf?