Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick with Ioniq Electric or plunge into Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
I’ve had an Ioniq for 18 months. Great car, no issues, excellent local dealership assistance when needed, BUT short on range.
I’m test driving a Model 3 this week. I will probably, like everyone else, come back with a huge grin on my face!
I do have reservations. Living in Norfolk, there is one supercharger site and the nearest service centre is Cambridge, 60 miles away. I’m used to ringing the dealer and getting what I need within a week, quicker if needed.
There appear to still be build quality issues and poor customer service. The ability to speak to a person on the phone seems almost impossible. Are things improving?
I already have two Powerwalls and getting thing those sorted over the phone seems impossible!
Any advice welcome

Would you rather go do the dealer next week or have Tesla mobile service come to you during the second week? That is my experience. I make an appointment on the web site or app for a time about 2 weeks out and several days before my Service Center appointment, someone from Tesla texts me and offers up Mobile Service. Super convenient and excellent work.

In reality, there is no comparison between an Ioniq and a Model 3. They are in different leagues.

I’ve had an Ioniq for 18 months. Great car, no issues, excellent local dealership assistance when needed, BUT short on range.
I’m test driving a Model 3 this week. I will probably, like everyone else, come back with a huge grin on my face!
I do have reservations. Living in Norfolk, there is one supercharger site and the nearest service centre is Cambridge, 60 miles away. I’m used to ringing the dealer and getting what I need within a week, quicker if needed.
There appear to still be build quality issues and poor customer service. The ability to speak to a person on the phone seems almost impossible. Are things improving?
I already have two Powerwalls and getting thing those sorted over the phone seems impossible!
Any advice welcome
I drive both - Ioniq at work (and Kona) and own a Model 3 SR+ as my daily driver. I came from a 24kWh Leaf.

The Ioniq is solid but placid. Model 3 is more useful in terms of range and charging and is *much* more fun. Build quality is fine - I had a minor ding on the back quarter from transportation and I have a rattle in my B pillar. I still feel this is the best car ever and it is future-proofed much more than the Hyundai. I’ve put 10,000km on it in 6 months.

Yes there are horror stories about issues and service but remember these are folks that have posted to complain. The silent majority are happy owners.

Otherwise wait for VW ID3, but even then I think the Tesla Universe is better. It’s all down to your use case really. Obviously the LR or 3P will be better again!

Reactions: Dare
Yes, I think you’re absolutely right. Whatever reviews you read, the silent majority don’t have much to say and the people with grieviences would put you off buying just about anything!
I think my concern on after sales stems from the fact that not all countries benefit from the same level of service. Rolling out a worldwide network is not without problems.
Unfortunately, I’m used to ‘old school’ service. We own the Ioniq and an Outlander PHEV. Both are collected by the dealerships when they need work. Unfortunately we don’t have the time for the 120 mile round trip to the nearest service centre should anything occur that mobile service can’t handle.
Apparently, there was a time when Tesla would collect but this seems to have been withdrawn in the U.K.
I’ll still keep an open mind until I’ve driven one :)

Well, today was test drive day. We drove a white LR with black interior.
It was tipping it down with rain which really didn’t help.
Both my wife and I had a drive.
I was disappointed. I didn’t get the WOW feeling that a £50K car ought to give.
Yes, it was very sure footed and went like a road rocket. Yes, the range is exceptional, but it lacks a couple features that I value in the Ioniq.

i think if it had been a sunny day and the car had been one with a white interior, I might have swayed a bit.
My wife loved it but it’s not her car that’s being replaced.
For now it’s a no, but we’ll see what improvements come with software updates