Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky and Chattering Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using the green Rainx windshield washer fluid for almost 20 years, experienced some chatter in previous vehicles from time to time, but no issues with the MY yet.
This has been my experience as well. I trust my 20 years of empirical data. Anytime I've had chattering, which is not too frequent, I've found that cleaning the blades eliminates the problem.

I recently learned something new about the Tesla Model Y (presumably the Model 3 too.) You probably know that you can place the windshield wipers in Service Mode, the wiper arms raise up the wiper blades a few inches so you can change the blades. What I did not know, until I watched a video on how to change the wiper blades in the Model Y, is that when the windshield wipers are in Service Mode you can move the wiper arms (I use both hands to move both wiper arms) to any position you need to be able to reach the full length of the wiper blades to aid in cleaning the blades. When you are finished cleaning the wiper blades you can lower the wiper arms (move them togther) to the lower position but if you don't the wiper mechanism will automatically reset the wiper arms to the correct position when you exit Wiper Blade - Service Mode.

My standard wiper blade cleaning routine to first use Windex or similar ammonia based cleaner on a paper towel to clean the blades. Ammonia will dissolve any grease. Next I use Invisible Glass (contains alcohol) to remove any of the Windex solution detergent residue from the blades. Wiper blades last longer if the windshield and wiper blades are kept clean. Sunlight damages most plastics, rubber; if yo park your vehicle in a garage this prevents much of the damage from the rays of the sun.

My windshield cleaning routine is to use paper towels and Windex to clean the entire windshield, then clean the windshield with a clean micro fiber cleaning cloth and Invisible Glass. Windex and paper towels leave behind some streaks. Invisible Glass sprayed on the windshield and then wiped off with the micro fiber cleaning cloth does not leave any visible residue.