Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky/Clunky/Crunchy Gas Pedal sound upon release.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had an issue with the gas pedal in their MYLR(2023). Intermittently upon release to start regenerative braking the pedal will not smoothly engage into the braking and feels as though it sticks or is crunchy. This is paired with an audible sound of the gas pedal fighting the 'hang up'. If I can't, maybe, lubricate it myself I may need to put a service ticket in. Do you think I could spray wd40 back near the gas pedal

When releasing the break on my MYLR 2023, I've felt a 'click' or small grinding feeling in the pedal. Not sure if this is the same but I've been trying to capture the noise/timestamp for Tesla to look at but it's difficult to reproduce.

Are you describing the brake/ABS solenoids? expectsd behavior, see below:

Possibly the brake pedal being released? Can't remember whether auto-hold intervenes on the ABS solenoids or directly moves the brake pedal like autopilot and TACC.

If it's the ABS solenoids holding it I wouldn't be surprised if the click from them releasing is capable of transmitting through the car since they're pretty beefy things and the whole shebang is bolted tightly together.

It's likely the friction brakes being used during regen. You'll see a gray line in the regen bar, instead of green. You can feel the vibration/actuation of the brake pedal in the accelerator pedal sometimes.

Once the car/battery is warmed up and the car can regen more, it should go away.

+1, having the same issue as OP

As mentioned above about friction brakes being applied, I noticed it after enabling the feature to apply friction brakes when limited regen is available. I happened to be at 76% charge when the noise occurred. And I have one pedal driving enabled (stopping mode =hold).

Try toggling on/off the feature (apply friction brakes when limited regen is available) and see if the problem (noise) goes away.

Makes sense now that a noise (brake pedal/assembly) would occur if friction brakes are being applied automatically by the system when lifting off the accelerator pedal.

But I would think the ECU could bypass the brake pedal to activate the friction brakes, but it sounds like it's using the brake pedal or the assembly behind it to activate. Manual states pedal may be engaged during this event, but pedal function is still operable (can use brakes manually) if needed.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my MYLR(2023). It just has 300 miles on it.

I started to experience this crunchy noise at around 250 mile point. Stopping mode = hold.

Would this problem go away after some more miles? Should I bring it to Telsa service or wait some more miles? I prefer not to bring it service center as I don't trust them after an delivery incident I had with them. I could be wrong though but it's my feeling I had about the local service center.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I have the same issue with my MYLR(2023). It just has 300 miles on it.

I started to experience this crunchy noise at around 250 mile point. Stopping mode = hold.

Would this problem go away after some more miles? Should I bring it to Telsa service or wait some more miles? I prefer not to bring it service center as I don't trust them after an delivery incident I had with them. I could be wrong though but it's my feeling I had about the local service center.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
They replaced the gas pedal and it still does it but not as bad.