Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sticky Door Handles - Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today the Mobile Tesla service van arrived at my work. Evidently on May 3rd Tesla stopped version 1 of the door handles and switched to Version 2. There was a piece of plastic that was too thick. I have no idea what version 2 is...but even though my car was built on May 7th I have maybe 2 handles with version 1 handles. So right now he is taking my door apart and sanding down the plastic. I had no clue what to ask but he was very kind to explain it won't break a seal or whatever I was thinking as I did ask if this would ruin anything because the inside of the doors were coming off.

At least I learned some stuff today about my car and when it was built. And as always they are so kind... They have been out 3 times and he remembered me from my headlight replacement as my car was the first one in our area to get one. He shared that he has that down pat now and can do it in 30 minutes. LOL .. mine was a good 2 hours at least. hehehe...
Also it was cold again today and he offered to fill up the air in my tires. So that was nice as well.

Appt was for 8am and he arrived at 745am. So all in all a great day since he came right to my work which has a covered garage and plenty of space on the upper levels to work and stay out of the rain and wind today.

It's 940am and no text from him..I assume I will get a good bye and all done text...

Just sharing in case you have handles that stay open which then results in the door not closing at all.

Thanks for the note. I'm taking mine (April build) to the Dedham SC Dec 20 after I had sticky door handles when it got really cold here in Boston the first time. The handle stayed out and couldn't close the door without forcing the handle back in. I'll remember your comments, thanks!

Thanks for the note. I'm taking mine (April build) to the Dedham SC Dec 20 after I had sticky door handles when it got really cold here in Boston the first time. The handle stayed out and couldn't close the door without forcing the handle back in. I'll remember your comments, thanks!
Glad I could help! I lived in South weymouth for a long time...I'm actually flying to Boston tonight for a fun weekend to catch up with old friends!!!! Hope I see lots of 3s!!!

Reactions: kwest2
Just sharing in case you have handles that stay open which then results in the door not closing at all.
I wish I'd have used your explanation when I brought mine in for the same issue a few weeks ago. Instead, I learned later, the service rep typed up the issue as the door not closing, so the tech adjusted the door on the hinges (which did not have a problem at all) and I didn't realize the issue until after I got home, received the email with my service invoice, and saw the writeup was just wrong from the jump. Lesson learned: read what they type into the system for their techs. So now I have misaligned chrome trim from driver door to pax door, but I won't bother with that until it's back with Service for some other issue down the line.