Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiff parking brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I have a potential problem with my 2020 Model 3 I was hoping to get some thoughts on.

Whenever I return to my car after leaving it parked overnight (or a prolonged period of time), the car often makes a loud, thumping noise when I move off in Drive mode. It sounds almost like the handbrake is being disengaged and is being applied overly tight. Nonetheless the sound is disconcerting as the car also judders slightly whenever it happens.

Has anyone else come across this? I’m debating taking it in for service but not sure how widespread this is.

Yeah, if it's only done after a prolonged period of car not being used, I wouldn't worry about it. Unfortunately, there's no parking pawl on the motors of our car, so the electric parking brake has to be engaged every time. At least it's disengaging; sometimes it does not, especially when brakes are quite hot.

Yeah, if it's only done after a prolonged period of car not being used, I wouldn't worry about it. Unfortunately, there's no parking pawl on the motors of our car, so the electric parking brake has to be engaged every time. At least it's disengaging; sometimes it does not, especially when brakes are quite hot.
If you don't use your brakes and ride on regen it does it often.

I am having the same problem. With "normal" cars, I'd leave them in gear with no handbrake in wet winter (biggest wheel braking power= reverse gear).

Would leaving the Model 3 in "N" avoid this, provided the car is in a spot where it is blocked by a curb or other obstacle, so it cannot roll away?

I am having the same problem. With "normal" cars, I'd leave them in gear with no handbrake in wet winter (biggest wheel braking power= reverse gear).

Would leaving the Model 3 in "N" avoid this, provided the car is in a spot where it is blocked by a curb or other obstacle, so it cannot roll away?
You can't leave it in N. As soon as you get out it will engage park. You could put it in transport mode, but that will be overidden when you lock the car or plug it in.