Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiff Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dual motor, long range with 20" tires and wheels. The ride seems stiffer and rougher than any of my previous ICE SUVs. I'm wondering if it all has to do with the 20" wheels or it's just the way the Tesla engineers wanted it to be. I would like a more comfortable ride. Anyone have a suggestion about how to go about changing this?

20" tires and wheels definitely contribute. The suspension on the Y and 3 is just stiffer than most other vehicles in the same category, probably similar to BMWs. I don't find it to be offensive but if you want a softer ride then smaller wheels and tires would certainly be one step in that direction.

I have the 19" wheels and I reduced the pressure from 42 to 38 psig. The ride was still too harsh so I ordered the MountainPass Performance Comfort coilover package. I'm hopeful that it'll mitigate the problem.

What's odd is that I had a 2017 Model 3 and within a month (Jan 2018), Tesla offered to replace the suspension with something softer. It made a big difference. Too bad that they didn't learn.

I have the 19" wheels and I reduced the pressure from 42 to 38 psig. The ride was still too harsh so I ordered the MountainPass Performance Comfort coilover package. I'm hopeful that it'll mitigate the problem.

What's odd is that I had a 2017 Model 3 and within a month (Jan 2018), Tesla offered to replace the suspension with something softer. It made a big difference. Too bad that they didn't learn.

Be careful, a tire pressure of below 42 psi will not maintain the proper listed load ratings for our tires. I would contact the tire manufacture for load ratings at different pressures before you mess with them. There is a chance it's still safe on our vehicle at a lower pressure (and I know Musk has tweeted about running lower pressure), but the fact is the XL load rating is done at 42 psi and does NOT apply with less pressure in the tire.

I have a dual motor, long range with 20" tires and wheels. The ride seems stiffer and rougher than any of my previous ICE SUVs. I'm wondering if it all has to do with the 20" wheels or it's just the way the Tesla engineers wanted it to be. I would like a more comfortable ride. Anyone have a suggestion about how to go about changing this?
Unplugged has regular springs with a softer spring rate than stock. If you want to lower....that have lowering springs with a softer spring rate as well. If you want to go full blown they have coilovers and so does MPP.

Dumb question: Is there any downside of replacing the shocks/etc with one of these softening packages? It wouldn't decrease range, i imagine? Maybe slightly worse handling / more lean in corners?

I did a test drive and both myself and GF also found it pretty harsh. I'd probably want to do this as well.

thanks-

The Y suspension is just harsh. I don’t think you’ll see a difference between 19 and 20” wheels

Not true...I did a test drive of both and there’s a clear difference. Loved the look of the 20s but I had to get the 19s. The 20s were rougher and louder, I felt every part of the road and bumps. I even brought people to test the difference and it was clear to me.

Def the 20s contribute to the rougher ride. I did a test drive of both 19s and 20s and had to go with the 19s. I heard and felt everything on the road with the 20s. Also, change your steering to standard . The sport made it feel hard to steer to me.