Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stiffer or solid rear subframe bushings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No selection for year when you pick model 3 there, but there is only 1 rear subframe listed: 1044580-00-D does the D imply there have been some interations? Maybe they improved those bushings in 2021
Maybe yes, maybe no. This (part number syntax speculation) was discussed on and off here.

It's common in the automotive industry (and ont only) to use similar/same part numbers with a different upticked suffix to not just differentiate between hardware revisions, but also for their own logistical or internal reporting reasons a. supplier, source factory changes b. sub-contractor changes c. sub-assembly color or material changes.

Where a b c may not and often do not constitute an actual updated/upgraded , revised part.

Inserts will likely be a good upgrade for most applications short of a serious street or track car.

Other vehicle platforms with less than ideal subframe bushings have easy insert solutions. Urethane would work. We don't need to over-priced MPP inserts.
Thanks for that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure those Hardrace inserts will make any difference if the intent is to be installed on the bottom of the bushing as the diagram is showing. The bolt face is the same size as the aluminum face of the bushing.

There is a little bit of excessive play in the bushing core to allow for some variations between vehicles. Some sort of small insert that went all the way through the bushing core could certainly help, but it's hard to say for sure.

Speaking from experience, developing quality aftermarket parts is a very expensive venture and does not always work out. And then of course you need to support the product, there is liability, etc, etc. If you think you can do it better and cheaper go for it, but I think you will be surprised how difficult these things can be.

Reactions: Mash and Krobbler
There are also times when people identify a bushing that deflects a lot, and come up with a spacer or insert to reduce that deflection, but the deflection was on purpose for *favorable* dynamic alignment changes under cornering/braking/etc. Hard to know if you really got a net win even when you experiment, as differences can be so small. Such is life.

I don't *think* subframe bushing deflection would be for any reason other than noise/vibration absorption though.

There are also times when people identify a bushing that deflects a lot, and come up with a spacer or insert to reduce that deflection, but the deflection was on purpose for *favorable* dynamic alignment changes under cornering/braking/etc. Hard to know if you really got a net win even when you experiment, as differences can be so small. Such is life.

I don't *think* subframe bushing deflection would be for any reason other than noise/vibration absorption though.
Let's just ignore the pogo stick affect. The other change will in thrust angle, very undesirable. If you ever driven a high hp RWD or even AWD with less than ideal rear subframe bushings the rear of the vehicle acutally steer itself under acceleration loads. Increase in NVH is little to none depending on how sensitive you are(just like any other bushing upgrades). OE/rubber vs stiffer/urethane/solid has been discussed in great length on other platforms and in a performance application the deflection should be kept to a minimum.

When you get a chance, get your car on jack stands, take the wheels off and see how much you can move the rear subframe around with little effort using a pry bar.

Hillbilly bushings work too, use liquid poly to fill the voids. But I wouldn't know anything about that either...

We have replaced the bushings on a 2018 Model 3 in November of 2021 ($800) and they will need to be done again now, there must be a manufacturing defect. Bushings should never fail and to have them fail twice in a 4 year old car is wrong.

We have replaced the bushings on a 2018 Model 3 in November of 2021 ($800) and they will need to be done again now, there must be a manufacturing defect. Bushings should never fail and to have them fail twice in a 4 year old car is wrong.
Bushings are a wear item on any car, most people just never bother looking. Model 3 happens to be heavier than most and will wear through them quicker.

We're talking rear subframe bushings here... Someone has had the rear subframe bushings go TWICE in 4 years?
1) How did you notice this failure?
2) How many miles?
3) How many miles in the last 6 months since last replacement?
4) Why is this not warranty?

Last edited:
We're talking rear subframe bushings here... Someone has had the rear subframe bushings go TWICE in 4 years?
1) How did you notice this failure?
2) How many miles?
3) How many miles in the last 6 months since last replacement?
4) Why is this not warranty?
Yeah I have to imagine they are definitely not talking about rear subframe bushings, I have yet to see those need replacement.