Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still calibrating cameras - seems stuck at 97%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I picked up my Plaid yesterday and the cameras are still calibrating after a 30 mile drive and a few short neighborhood jaunts. The percentage doesn't seem to be going up past the 97% it's been stuck at. Any tips? Excited to use autopilot, auto-shift, and other features that aren't available until calibration is finished.

Hi - I picked up my Plaid yesterday and the cameras are still calibrating after a 30 mile drive and a few short neighborhood jaunts. The percentage doesn't seem to be going up past the 97% it's been stuck at. Any tips? Excited to use autopilot, auto-shift, and other features that aren't available until calibration is finished.

Yeah this happens. Just keep driving. It will eventually calibrate.

Reactions: SO16 and evan123
Mine always has taken under 15 miles to calibrate. I'd reboot the car, and start the calibration when you will be driving for the recommended 25 miles in one trip during the day. From Manual:

"Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. Driving on a straight road with highly-visible lane lines allows Model S to calibrate quicker."

Reactions: evan123
Following up to share my experience - it finally finished calibrating at 161 miles on the odometer. There were 4 separate 30-60 minute drives where it was at 98%. It would go from 98 to 99 and then I'd stop driving. Then the next drive it went from 99 to 98 after about 20 minutes, then back to 99 after another 30 minutes or so. It seemed to need me to drive 1.5-2 hours straight without stopping to finish the stretch from 98%-100%.

One data point that *may* have impacted it is that I subscribed to FSD on the drive back from the dealership so perhaps that added complication to the calibration? No clue if that is logical but wanted to mention it as the only added complexity to an otherwise standard dealership pickup experience.

Following up to share my experience - it finally finished calibrating at 161 miles on the odometer. There were 4 separate 30-60 minute drives where it was at 98%. It would go from 98 to 99 and then I'd stop driving. Then the next drive it went from 99 to 98 after about 20 minutes, then back to 99 after another 30 minutes or so. It seemed to need me to drive 1.5-2 hours straight without stopping to finish the stretch from 98%-100%.

One data point that *may* have impacted it is that I subscribed to FSD on the drive back from the dealership so perhaps that added complication to the calibration? No clue if that is logical but wanted to mention it as the only added complexity to an otherwise standard dealership pickup experience.
Thanks for posting your calibration issues. This gives me some hope. My Model S LR was delivered on Sat. Sept. 11 and I’ve driven about 115 miles and it has stubbornly stayed at 99% calibration. I’ve set up a service appointment for a week from tomorrow but hopefully it will calibrate by then. FWIW, I subscribed to FSD when I placed my order.

Thanks for posting your calibration issues. This gives me some hope. My Model S LR was delivered on Sat. Sept. 11 and I’ve driven about 115 miles and it has stubbornly stayed at 99% calibration. I’ve set up a service appointment for a week from tomorrow but hopefully it will calibrate by then. FWIW, I subscribed to FSD when I placed my order.
I'm confident that it will finish calibrating with a long drive, only because our situations are so similar.

I'm confident that it will finish calibrating with a long drive, only because our situations are so similar.
Thanks, I’m at 254 miles and still not fully calibrated. I’ve been texting with Tesla Service and attached is a screenshot of where they say the camera calibrations currently stand. It’s interesting that they can break it down by camera although I can’t tell which ones. Apparently, I’m so close and hopefully almost there.
9D182FBF-2533-46DA-AA3F-85CE817D5033.png

Reactions: BitJam
Thanks, I’m at 254 miles and still not fully calibrated. I’ve been texting with Tesla Service and attached is a screenshot of where they say the camera calibrations currently stand. It’s interesting that they can break it down by camera although I can’t tell which ones. Apparently, I’m so close and hopefully almost there. View attachment 710066
So, to update, I’ve now driven 300 miles focusing on multi-lane highways without completing calibration and they’ve finally told me the Model S needs to be brought in to the service center. They rescheduled my service appointment for Oct. 21 (!!!) but I went into the app and was able reschedule for Oct. 5. I’m assuming at this point that I have faulty cameras and won’t have any form of AP until my service appointment, which is a bummer.

My autopilot took about 250 miles to calibrate on my Plaid as well, but then at 450 miles I was tired of waiting for auto shift out of park which still said additional cameras calibrating and was stuck at 98%. I reset the entire calibration and got on the highway and autopilot came back in about 15 minutes, but now 100 miles later auto shift out of park is once again stuck at additional cameras calibrating, this time 97%. Can't seem to get a good answer yet from my SC.

Reactions: BitJam
So, to update, I’ve now driven 300 miles focusing on multi-lane highways without completing calibration and they’ve finally told me the Model S needs to be brought in to the service center. They rescheduled my service appointment for Oct. 21 (!!!) but I went into the app and was able reschedule for Oct. 5. I’m assuming at this point that I have faulty cameras and won’t have any form of AP until my service appointment, which is a bummer.
Another update, I’m at 461 miles and cameras still haven’t calibrated. A week ago I reset the camera calibration and it very quickly returned to 99% and has just stayed there. I was able to reschedule my service appointment to this Monday, Sept. 27 at the Plano service center so I’m hoping they’ll be able to fix the cameras and finally complete calibration.

A tip for anyone looking to move up their service date is to constantly check the app to update your appointment date since you can find better dates/times if you check at the right time based presumably on scheduling cancellations.

Another update, I’m at 461 miles and cameras still haven’t calibrated. A week ago I reset the camera calibration and it very quickly returned to 99% and has just stayed there. I was able to reschedule my service appointment to this Monday, Sept. 27 at the Plano service center so I’m hoping they’ll be able to fix the cameras and finally complete calibration.

A tip for anyone looking to move up their service date is to constantly check the app to update your appointment date since you can find better dates/times if you check at the right time based presumably on scheduling cancellations.
So, final update: I took my Model S in for the service appointment and they ended up having to replace my computer, but I picked it up this afternoon and I finally have working AP! This service appointment was interesting: even though the car’s status was marked as in service and several miles away from me, I could tell where it was and when they drove it to test calibration, opened the doors, charged it, etc. So I knew that they didn’t actually check the calibration until the day after I dropped it off. I also could only communicate with my service advisor thru the chat function on the Tesla app. Definitely different than your standard car service — I don’t think it’s for everyone and there’s some things I didn’t like but others I did.

Reactions: Zee9
I’m at 620 still “calibrating” took car in for appointment and was told I would need to leave the car for 4 days plus weekend to fix (replace computer). Anyone know how bog this job really is?
I rescheduled so I could do it at a time not around a weekend, sucks to leave it for 6 days when I’ve had it for 5 days. Very frustrating.
Also had to take delivery without the package tray / cover for the rear area. This happen to any of you guys? Thanks!

Same situation here. I picked up my car on Sept 23 but autopilot is still not calibrated.

I’ve driven about 730 miles now.

I had reset the calibration twice (once at 150 and 300) but still no luck.

So, this seems to be an issue with the new MS.

Most frustrating thing for me is that the safety features (Lane departure, blindspot monitoring) also don’t work until the calibration finishes.

I have an appointment for tomorrow. Let’s see if they can fix it.

Reactions: michaela0416
Same situation here. I picked up my car on Sept 23 but autopilot is still not calibrated.

I’ve driven about 730 miles now.

I had reset the calibration twice (once at 150 and 300) but still no luck.

So, this seems to be an issue with the new MS.

Most frustrating thing for me is that the safety features (Lane departure, blindspot monitoring) also don’t work until the calibration finishes.

I have an appointment for tomorrow. Let’s see if they can fix it.
That sounds like the same issue I had. Once I took it in they had to replace the “computer” but that fixed it and autopilot was calibrated when I picked it up. It’s worked fine since. Good luck!

Reactions: Zee9
That sounds like the same issue I had. Once I took it in they had to replace the “computer” but that fixed it and autopilot was calibrated when I picked it up. It’s worked fine since. Good luck!
Did the safety features (blindspot monitoring, lane departure warning) also start working automatically when they fixed the camera calibration issue?