Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR
Ya know, I initially selected "Starting to grow on me" but after typing all this out, I've changed my vote to "No I still hate it". Original post follows:

Voted "Starting to grow on me" but there's one infuriating bug (feature?) that I absolutely hate: having to reselect USB playback almost every time I get back into the car. It seems to be time-related in that if I'm only out of the car for a few minutes, then the music picks up where it stopped. But if I get in the car after it has been sitting overnight, there's a Select Playback Source (or words to the effect) icon in place of the album art and I have to tap the USB icon in the taskbar (i.e., app launcher), then select which USB drive I want (got separate drives for music and dashcam), then select a song to start. Maybe it has to do with the car going to sleep. It used to be before V11 that when the car forgot to restart playback I could unweight from the seat, open then close the door (screen goes off) and then sit back down on the seat. The screen would come back on and most of the time the music would automatically return. If it didn't then a repeat of the same procedure usually would work. Not any more.

Then there's the relocation of controls, having to go one or two more "levels" down to get to things that used to be a swipe or single tap away. Yes, having a configurable taskbar helps some but the reserved area and list of options to put there is too small to hold everything I want.

Having a blind spot camera view helps, but at night, when it's really the most useful, I get the light bleed from the turn signals (2018 LR). Yeah I know there's a fix for that but I'm lazy. I tried it out for a few nights but then turned off the feature. I've already got my mirrors positioned correctly so I should be okay.

Giving up a little screen real estate by increasing the size of the virtual area around the car is fine with me. I realize that FSD sees more than what's currently displayed (I'm not on FSD Beta). But it would be nice to be able to dynamically re-size the area if I don't care about seeing the world around me and want more map space on the screen.

At first I hesitated to upgrade to V11 but with all of the new things that were available (I was on 2020.40.8 for a little over a year) I decided to give it a try. I think I regret that decision now.

edit: Currently on 2022.4.5.3

Last edited:
Pretty much the only improvement I can say I like is that the Homelink control is in the bottom left corner of the display and easier to use. Everything else is, at best, no better than the previous UI, and at worst, a serious regression.

I hate the new trip stuff. Not easy to use on an actual trip since it covers the main portion of the screen.

So much wasted space at the bottom. Took away obvious safety buttons like defrost and hid them away. Allowed the user to pin what they want on the screen, but limited the functions you can actually pin to a bunch of stuff you rarely need when driving. It's pretty infuriating still after a few months.

I really like the mini-heater control but the only way to bring it up is to change the temperature? Seriously?

I tried the camera on signal but found it was mostly useless so I turned it off.

Even after two updates, it is a long way from being as useable as V10 was.

One thing I can’t get used to are the controls that require a steady finger such as the fan control. For instance, I always seem to hit a bump and end up turning the fan to 8 when I want 2. Older cars that tried going this route ended up putting in a pad for resting your wrist. Not my ideal solution but it could work. Some aftermarket manufacturer interested?

One thing I can’t get used to are the controls that require a steady finger such as the fan control. For instance, I always seem to hit a bump and end up turning the fan to 8 when I want 2. Older cars that tried going this route ended up putting in a pad for resting your wrist. Not my ideal solution but it could work. Some aftermarket manufacturer interested?
Yup the problem here is the slider. It's stupid for a vehicle in motion. Needs + - buttons.

Still hate it? No.

WILL ALWAYS HATE IT

And it's not just the dumb mistakes:
- Bizarre icons that provide no hint as to their function
- Riculously small fonts
- Impossible grey on grey contrast
- Homelink being blocked by the seatbelt indicator, phone, texts, and turn signal
- Elimination of useful status indicators like seat/wheel/wiper heaters, defrost, defog, recirc, and even the compass.
- Cramming the entire UI all the way over to the passenger side so that a completely useless cartoon can occupy the entirety of the most valuable screen space
- etc. ad nauseum

Those are all fixable issues that next summer's intern will work on.

The thing that really gets be about V11 is the way they fully embraced and quite accurately copied the inanity of Windows 8's moronic Jeckle & Hyde clash of senselessly dueling interfaces. Why is there one UI with tire pressure and odometer and an entirely different UI with energy consumption? How am I supposed to know which UI has the function I want? And how would any sane person ever know which one of the randomly styled icons launches the Metro Tile UI?

Last edited:
This change still enrages me. And that's not even going into the extra menu clicks or the huge PANEL that obscures everything else as soon as you go into any car menu..
Screenshot_20220202-122026~2.png

I would love to know how this design review went down. All the top executives gathered in a conference room to see if the summer intern actually did anything...

High off his ass and still hungover from clubbing all night he puts his PowerPoint slide up on the projector and says: "So, how about we change the music icon from this:"
Screenshot 2022-03-06 141755.png

"...to this:"
Screenshot 2022-03-06 141812.png

...the room erupts with joy and praise! "Wow! What a brilliant idea that is Billy!" "It's not just intuitive, but beautiful too!" "This is amazing! We should patent it!"

Unlike previous versions, this one is NOT growing on me. Still hate trying to do the easiest of tasks like seat heater, find a different streaming channel, chech tire pressures, having to close the car screen on every.single.drive. The list is long and I am sad.
Get over it? It’s not going to go backwards for you.maybe time for another car...
I hate the seats more than than the UI.
the seats are ridiculously comfortable for a 200lb 6’1” male. I’m in them 3-5 hours a day for 150-200 miles. Other cars my left legs can go numb. These are perfect if positioned correctly.

So Many complaints about an amazing vehicle. This forums getting really negative.

I like how they so thoroughly f'd it up. like, even if you TRIED, you couldn't make a system THIS bad.

I have a video on v11 on my X, need to post one for the 3. Today it really ticked me off.

Did anyone else file with NHSTA? I did. these micro fonts, icons, and 20 deep menus need to go back to the hell they came from.

Whomever design this thing, needs a SAW style escape room where they have to figure out this crap in < 10 seconds before it traps them forever.

This change still enrages me. And that's not even going into the extra menu clicks or the huge PANEL that obscures everything else as soon as you go into any car menu..
View attachment 777244
It is weird because V10 was also bad. All those icons should have been on top of the screen so that one can operate them without taking eyes from the road. But instead of fixing it they introduced V11 where one have to takes eyes off the road even longer. They took something bad and made it worse!

It is weird because V10 was also bad. All those icons should have been on top of the screen so that one can operate them without taking eyes from the road. But instead of fixing it they introduced V11 where one have to takes eyes off the road even longer. They took something bad and made it worse!
Lol. Many other car brands have their buttons toward the bottom of their front dash. Are you saying all of the other car brands should put their buttons on top of the dash?? That’d be weird

Get over it? It’s not going to go backwards for you.maybe time for another car...

the seats are ridiculously comfortable for a 200lb 6’1” male. I’m in them 3-5 hours a day for 150-200 miles. Other cars my left legs can go numb. These are perfect if positioned correctly.

So Many complaints about an amazing vehicle. This forums getting really negative.

seats are aweful. im 184cm and 80kg and I get really bad right buttock pain. the seat isnt big enough and you feel like you are sitting on the side support. and the front padding is too much. And its not like I am not a frequent driver - i frequently drive over 14 hours/1100km