Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I can’t get used to are the controls that require a steady finger such as the fan control. For instance, I always seem to hit a bump and end up turning the fan to 8 when I want 2. Older cars that tried going this route ended up putting in a pad for resting your wrist. Not my ideal solution but it could work. Some aftermarket manufacturer interested?

One trick from the aviation world is to get in the habit of hooking your fingers behind the display for stability and using your thumb to select things on the screen.

Having had our M3 for one month and one road trip, admittedly subjective impressions…

Seats are above average. Too bad the passenger doesn’t get adjustable lumbar support. Nav display is wonderful and voice searching for destinations works very well. A friend with a Tesla says the key to happiness is using voice commands. One such is just saying “I’m hot” or “I’m cold” to change cabin temp. Cute. I’m sure there are dozens we have not yet discovered.

Never spent time with the previous version of the software. First impression of the new one is that it’s “fine”, though that may be damning with faint praise. I wish the trip meter and odometer were constantly displayed - there’s certainly plenty of screen space available around the periphery to do so. Similarly, % battery remaining at destination should always be visible. I miss CarPlay less than I thought, but it would be nice having the option. Making a destination a “favorite” was not as intuitive as it could have been. And it would be nice being able to select more that one address as “home” - more than a few folks have more than one home.

But I will stipulate that the earlier version was overall better for many.

Last edited:
One trick from the aviation world is to get in the habit of hooking your fingers behind the display for stability and using your thumb to select things on the screen.
This, 100%. This is what I’ve been doing, as well. It’s a helpful kludge to deal with the poor design of small fonts and buttons located in close proximity and deep submenus.

As much as the outcome might look a little silly, the design needs to go from Lego to Duplo: larger input block areas further apart, in grid layouts focused around functionality in a largely flat/shallow hierarchy.

Reactions: Transformer
Yeah, but why doesn't Tesla?
Because the truth none of the complainers want to believe is that there are more people that like it than don’t. People happy with things don’t go online to tell the world how happy they are. Only people complaining come to public forums. Negative voices are the loudest even though you’re the minority.

Because the truth none of the complainers want to believe is that there are more people that like it than don’t. People happy with things don’t go online to tell the world how happy they are. Only people complaining come to public forums. Negative voices are the loudest even though you’re the minority.
lol, i don't think think I'm the minority over v11. Pretty sure it sucks for everyone.

I would love to know how this design review went down. All the top executives gathered in a conference room to see if the summer intern actually did anything...

High off his ass and still hungover from clubbing all night he puts his PowerPoint slide up on the projector and says: "So, how about we change the music icon from this:"
View attachment 777584

"...to this:"
View attachment 777585

...the room erupts with joy and praise! "Wow! What a brilliant idea that is Billy!" "It's not just intuitive, but beautiful too!" "This is amazing! We should patent it!"

It's designed by 20'something year olds that don't actually drive a Tesla or maybe even own a car. They were probably told to "simplify" and "de-clutter" the interface and that is what they came up with, without living in reality, doing any usability testing or anything else. "Oh it looks cooler now" is probably what made it pass the smell test. Which is insane.

v11 got pretty universally panned by all the usual reviewer sources as well, and the issues were acknowledged by Tesla service, in many cases, at least.

A lot of people just grumble to them selves, hate the UI, and don't complain to anyone, as long as we're making up anecdotal groups of opinions based on no evidence.

I dont like v11 either but thinking they are going to bring back v10 is not going to happen. You bought a Tesla...get used to stuff changing. This will NOT be the last time things change.

I don't mind changes as long as they make sense. Many of them in V11 just don't. It's a step backwards in terms of usability and functionality.

I don't mind changes as long as they make sense. Many of them in V11 just don't. It's a step backwards in terms of usability and functionality.
Right. The V11 change is depressing on multiple levels.

Level 1: V11 sucks
Level 2: Almost anything you love about your car today can be taken away from you tomorrow. It has happened. And it will happen again.

That's why I really hope my MS lasts me long enough that my next car can be an electric BMW, or Lucid, or... something else.

Right. The V11 change is depressing on multiple levels.

Level 1: V11 sucks
Level 2: Almost anything you love about your car today can be taken away from you tomorrow. It has happened. And it will happen again.

That's why I really hope my MS lasts me long enough that my next car can be an electric BMW, or Lucid, or... something else.
Yep, V11 completely cured me of the last remaining bits of my Tesla fandom. I guess it helps move Tesla along to no longer being production constrained. Even if they eventually 'fix' V11 (doubtful), all trust is gone at this point.

I have a rule in my tech life that I try not to buy any product I can't somehow get 'root' on and take full control over, even if I happen to never use that option. I made a huge exception for this car and really regret that now.

Because the truth none of the complainers want to believe is that there are more people that like it than don’t.
It's a good question that'd take a random sample to find out.

But the important question is not who likes it. It's usability while driving, esp. safety critical usability.

Personally I find some of the changes to be improvements, like putting the answer-a-phone-call box at the bottom of the screen where it's reachable with a hand braced on the screen's edge. Other changes shouldn't need a usability test to rule out, like making the speedometer yet smaller and thinner.

Is it just me or are there times you just sit and either stare at the screen or hunt and peck trying to accomplish a function and end up just giving up and not doing or getting done the function you tried to accomplish due to time or aggravation? Especially while driving and trying to stay on the road. WTF.

Ski
There have been times I give up on the windshield defogger for sure. I'll turn it on when the windows start to fog, then a while later I wonder if it's still on. Before V11, a quick glance, yes it's still on, hit the button to turn it off. After V11, hit the temp control. If you hit the middle of the button, big climate screen comes on. Look for exactly where the defog button is, press it. Or if you happened to hit the top/bottom of the button, you get the mini-display, so the defog button is in a completely different place. Find it, press button.

Or: decide that's too much attention away from the road, and just leave it on. Then think about how if you do that, you're letting Elon win. Briefly contemplate turning off the defogger anyway just to prove a point. Realize the hopelessness of it all because nobody will care; even the people on TMC will just mock you and tell you how it's so easy to turn off the defogger that maybe you need glasses or should buy another car. Think how sweet it'll be in 4 years when you buy a car that's not a Tesla -- maybe it'll even have a physical button for the defogger! Then wonder if they will all be doing crap like this by then -- again realize the hopelessness of it all and leave the defogger on.

There have been times I give up on the windshield defogger for sure. I'll turn it on when the windows start to fog, then a while later I wonder if it's still on. Before V11, a quick glance, yes it's still on, hit the button to turn it off. After V11, hit the temp control. If you hit the middle of the button, big climate screen comes on. Look for exactly where the defog button is, press it. Or if you happened to hit the top/bottom of the button, you get the mini-display, so the defog button is in a completely different place. Find it, press button.

Or: decide that's too much attention away from the road, and just leave it on. Then think about how if you do that, you're letting Elon win. Briefly contemplate turning off the defogger anyway just to prove a point. Realize the hopelessness of it all because nobody will care; even the people on TMC will just mock you and tell you how it's so easy to turn off the defogger that maybe you need glasses or should buy another car. Think how sweet it'll be in 4 years when you buy a car that's not a Tesla -- maybe it'll even have a physical button for the defogger! Then wonder if they will all be doing crap like this by then -- again realize the hopelessness of it all and leave the defogger on.
Exactly what I mean. Thank you.

Ski

leaving the house yesterday, had to fight with v11. wanted to turn on the heat so i wouldn't freeze to death, but then it covered the garage door opener button, so, god i hate this car now.

Pretty sure it was made by a 12 year old on an iphone who's never even SEEN a car. Let alone attempted to operate something nearly 3 tons moving at 70 MPH.

Want to know what caused the crash? Icons the size of a number 2 pencil eraser. thats what.

I shouldn't need a legend to decipher the 5mm x 5mm hieroglyphics on my car's dash to turn on the damn radio.

Is it just me or are there times you just sit and either stare at the screen or hunt and peck trying to accomplish a function and end up just giving up and not doing or getting done the function you tried to accomplish due to time or aggravation? Especially while driving and trying to stay on the road. WTF.

Ski
Here's another one. I was listening to a podcast via Bluetooth and I realized I'd heard it before. I think I can drag the slider over to the end of the episode to get it to play the next one. I think maybe I remember reading on TMC that you have to long press on the nearly-invisible slider, then you can drag it. I try multiple times to try to get this to work, and eventually give up because I figure I owe it to my daughter to actually look at the road. I don't even know if it's possible to drag the slider. I think I used to be able to do this, pre-V11, but that means nothing. I think other people have said it's possible, but that it's tricky, and cruising down the highway at 70mph is not the best time to try to figure this out. Of course if I were in my garage I would have no need to figure it out, so I'll just keep wondering if it's something I could do if only I knew how.

Of course, I expect someone to say "why don't you just hit the 'next track' button?" Well, that's because... in my podcast app I can assign bluetooth buttons to skip forward/backward. So I have the forward button skip ahead 30s, and the backward button skip back 10s (so I don't have to listen to commercials). The app would let me set "long press" of forward button to mean "next track". But in this car, long press of the forward button changes to the next audio source, whether I want it to or not. So, yet another thing I can't do, that I could do in my BMW and my VW. Which would be fine if I could just move the slider to the end of the track, which I can't do. So, my choices are to skip ahead 30s at a time, or to pick up my cell phone and use it to skip the track, while I'm driving.

leaving the house yesterday, had to fight with v11. wanted to turn on the heat so i wouldn't freeze to death, but then it covered the garage door opener button

This. It's literally the most garage-centric car to ever be mass produced. How could they have forgotten to test even think about this before force-deploying it to 2 million owners?

Reactions: pilotSteve and Boza