Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I consider myself a tech enthusiast, and I love the actual improvements in V11 to my Tesla such as blind spot camera, live camera view for sentry.. Heck, I even enjoyed the light show and tinkered with making my own. I mean, when I got my car sentry mode didn't exist yet. Autopilot seems a little better, wipers are still flaky sometimes.

But there are simple tenets of good UI design that were completely disregarded in V11 for a vehicle. Things that were there in V10.
Who doesn't want to see their connectivity? Who wants to press twice for something they use all the time? Who wants mysterious icons that exist nowhere else? Who wants a large panel to block up the entire screen every time you go to change a setting?
I just don't get it. What the hell are they doing with all the user data? Can't they see what we use? Unreal.
All great points. I think some people just don’t care. Admittedly I’m in that group. I think a lot of the changes are stupid, but once I figured where they “moved my cheese” to, it doesn’t bother me any longer.

Of course if I was a UI designer, it would likely drive me nuts having to deal with the poorly designed interface.

And I get the argument that some people think it’s a safety issue that some of the functions are now two clicks instead of one. But to me it just doesn’t affect my ability to drive. But still, agreed that the changes make no sense.

On normal cars, you can operate buttons and knobs without even looking at them. They have "feel" and I can tell exactly what position they are in by touching them. Well, a few are on/off settings with no discernible feel, but mostly I don't need to look at the manual controls.

Touch screens should not be the means of access to anything required to drive the car. Windshield wipers and headlights should be on manual controls with feel that can be operated without looking. Sooner or later, Tesla will figure that out. Meanwhile, these are the sort of issues that will prevent Tesla cars from being accepted by the mainstream auto buyers. Tesla won't be the only BEV option going forward, and Musk needs to understand that.
AMEN! Also, the defroster. In former days in Toyotas and Hondas when the windshield fogged up suddenly you just reached down and rotated the three knobs clockwise. No looking required, no need to take your eyes off the road for even one second. And the reason that wouldn't work in an EV is ... ?

Reactions: Transformer
AMEN! Also, the defroster. In former days in Toyotas and Hondas when the windshield fogged up suddenly you just reached down and rotated the three knobs clockwise. No looking required, no need to take your eyes off the road for even one second. And the reason that wouldn't work in an EV is ... ?
Have you looked at these? Not a fan of buttons myself, but these seem to work for people that like them.

Have you looked at these? Not a fan of buttons myself, but these seem to work for people that like them.

Aha! They've added more compelling actions to the S3XY buttons. Now they can:

* Increase/decrease fan speed.
* Defog/defrost the windshield.
* Adjust wiper speed.
* Adjust regenerative braking to 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%. (What's the stock level?)
* Turn seat heaters on/off.

I'm up for this!

Reactions: whatthe2
Aha! They've added more compelling actions to the S3XY buttons. Now they can:

* Increase/decrease fan speed.
* Defog/defrost the windshield.
* Adjust wiper speed.
* Adjust regenerative braking to 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%. (What's the stock level?)
* Turn seat heaters on/off.

I'm up for this!
A word of caution. I'm all for mods that make driving more effortless. I have a CANServer, so I'm not going criticize anyone who buys these buttons. The CANServer allows independent display of CAN bus and chassis bus variables. In contrast, these buttons alter the car's variables. The buttons don't intentionally alter any major bus variables, but you never know. The buttons are invasive and could cause havoc.

I remember the argument that a phone should always have a number pad or keyboard buttons. Now phones with buttons are in the minority. Cars will go the same way. Less input is the future. They’re developing for future cars to have no steering wheel. You’re correct in saying the current main stream will resist but the new generation will accept this new reality and understand it’s benefits. Progress will continue not regress like you predict.

Change is inevitable. Progress is not.

I must not have made my point very clearly, since you don't seem to understand it. A touchscreen in a car for important functions is hazardous. There will be many who are not interested in your or Musk's idea of what is "progress". Just as the U shaped steering yoke is a flop, the touchscreen itself will eventually be found to be too hazardous for primary functions in a car. Even for less important functions it is a huge distraction and eventually be identified as something that will need to be banned by regulation.

While using my iPhone today, I realized that the icons on my 5" phone screen, that is held in my hand, are actually LARGER than the nano icons tesla thinks we can use at 80 mph safely.

when will this stupidity end?

About the same time when Tesla has to lower prices instead of raising them, because they can't sell every car they make. Someone will look into why that is happening and a customer (and non-customer) survey will tell them the car isn't suitable for the mainstream public.

About the same time when Tesla has to lower prices instead of raising them, because they can't sell every car they make. Someone will look into why that is happening and a customer (and non-customer) survey will tell them the car isn't suitable for the mainstream public.
You’re so, unbelievable wrong. Not suitable for mainstream public? That will never happen. Whatever world you live in, good luck there

I must not have made my point very clearly, since you don't seem to understand it. A touchscreen in a car for important functions is hazardous. There will be many who are not interested in your or Musk's idea of what is "progress". Just as the U shaped steering yoke is a flop, the touchscreen itself will eventually be found to be too hazardous for primary functions in a car. Even for less important functions it is a huge distraction and eventually be identified as something that will need to be banned by regulation.
I keep seeing people say how hazardous the UI is, but I just don’t see it. Yes, the changes were stupid and should be one click instead of two. But there are those of us who can still operate the car safely just fine with the changes. I guess others can’t and feel it’s a huge distraction. To each their own I suppose. Maybe it’s because I drive a different rental car every week and have to figure out how to adapt quickly to new controls. Or maybe some people just can’t adapt. Who knows?

Model 3 has been on the road safely for 4.5 years. I think you've already been proven wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: ianc
I keep seeing people say how hazardous the UI is, but I just don’t see it. Yes, the changes were stupid and should be one click instead of two. But there are those of us who can still operate the car safely just fine with the changes. I guess others can’t and feel it’s a huge distraction. To each their own I suppose. Maybe it’s because I drive a different rental car every week and have to figure out how to adapt quickly to new controls. Or maybe some people just can’t adapt. Who knows?
People hate change. I’m with you. It’s not dangerous. People just need to learn quicker.

I saw a comedy show a long time ago wherein a group was exploring a cave. One of the younger ones was wearing his miner's cap backwards, with the light facing behind him. He was stumbling and running into things constantly. When asked why he was wearing it that way, he pointed at it and replied, "Dude, do you know how cool this looks?!"
This is a perfect metaphor for V11 and UI trends in general.

LOL! That is so apropos.

People hate change. I’m with you. It’s not dangerous. People just need to learn quicker.

LOL! It is so funny that on one hand you acknowledge that there's a problem, but on the other hand, you want to blame it on the USER!!!

It's not about learning. This UI is inherently hard to learn, hard to use, and distracts the user from driving the bleeding car!

I can’t even wrap my head around that. I’ve put 12k miles on my 2022 MYP In 3 months. Probably 80% of that is on AP through in the Bay Area with constant freeway/highway changing and city streets. It’s NEVER slammed on the brakes. It goes down 5-10mph sometimes because of semis or sharp turns, but not in a startling way. It’s smooth. Just a tap on it’s brakes. My high beams work great. Especially in hilly curvy areas like highway 17. It gently slows for sharper turns. I love it. Literally 150+ miles a day on AP. Unless I have a unicorn, I think this is blown out of proportion and people are just startled by the car even touching the brakes because of lack of controlling it themselves.

Recalibrate your cameras lol

Consider yourself lucky. The braking is bad, but what I really hate is when the car screams at me about it as if I'VE done something wrong. It does that at various random locations where I can't predict it, but also at a FLASHING YELLOW LIGHT that has been there for years and will always be flashing until they actually build something on the side street, so there's some traffic in the other direction.

The problem has nothing to do with cameras. The short is between the car's headphones.

I’m a 72 y.o. Boomer. I got dropped into the Tesla world recently at ver 11, so I was never spoiled by 10.

My frame of reference is a truly primitive horrible UI on a 2011 Ford Flex, followed by a much better UI on our 2018 Honda Clarity, which was still apparently kind of clunky compared to Honda’s latest offerings. Compared to those, v11 is an order-of-magnitude better, though not without some minor irritations. Most times it just does what I want it to do, often in clever ways.

But as I’ve said, “the perception is the reality”. So those perceiving that v11 sucks bigly need no further justification. And I’ll stipulate from the vocal condemnation here that v11 must have been a big step backwards. A Tesla owning friend - on his third - just said he didn’t much care for the upgrade, and left it at that.

Anyway, let’s hope Tesla is getting wind of some of the vitriol V11 has generated, and has v12 correct some of the worst UI mistakes. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, the only thing worse than V11, may well be V12. If the company felt the need to completely overhaul the UI, literally from top to bottom, what are the chances they will even understand that their mistakes are mistakes?

Reactions: Lonewulf45
Didn’t much care for the upgrade.

THATS a fair reaction. Opinion expressed, and moved forward. People here act like the sky is falling if they don’t LOVE something lol

Hmmm... So people who hate something and can clearly describe why they hate it, are "acting like the sky is falling"?

People (including me) often say a Tesla is like a cell phone with wheels. I don't have this problem with my cell phone when an update breaks something, as I can roll back updates and work with software that suits me... and actually works.

How old are you? Just curious. I'm 56, and I still learn pretty quickly.

I've been a designer forever over 2 decades. If a design I'm working on has user testing that shows it's too difficult to understand a control system, I don't go back to the Program Mamager and tell them "people just need to learn quicker."

I take the new data about confusion and improve the design until it makes sense to everyone without thinking.

v11 is an amateurish disaster. full stop.