Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How old are you? Just curious. I'm 56, and I still learn pretty quickly.

I've been a designer forever over 2 decades. If a design I'm working on has user testing that shows it's too difficult to understand a control system, I don't go back to the Program Mamager and tell them "people just need to learn quicker."

I take the new data about confusion and improve the design until it makes sense to everyone without thinking.

v11 is an amateurish disaster. full stop.

One thing I see in V11 that has been around in other places is the horrible lack of contrast in fonts. Light gray on slightly darker gray background. WTF!!??? The way Tesla combines that with a 6 point font means we don't need cryptography to protect government secrets. Why would anyone think that is a good idea???

Hmmm... So people who hate something and can clearly describe why they hate it, are "acting like the sky is falling"?

People (including me) often say a Tesla is like a cell phone with wheels. I don't have this problem with my cell phone when an update breaks something, as I can roll back updates and work with software that suits me... and actually works.
So you’re an android user lol. That’s literally the only phone you can roll back.

How old are you? Just curious. I'm 56, and I still learn pretty quickly.

I've been a designer forever over 2 decades. If a design I'm working on has user testing that shows it's too difficult to understand a control system, I don't go back to the Program Mamager and tell them "people just need to learn quicker."

I take the new data about confusion and improve the design until it makes sense to everyone without thinking.

v11 is an amateurish disaster. full stop.
I definitely see your point. I’m not much younger than you and am in tech sales so know my way around software and UI’s, but not from a development standpoint. So it is very easy for me to quickly learn the changes. I certainly agree the interface has taken a step backwards and I’m sure it would drive me crazy if I were a developer.

Your point about improving the design so it makes sense for everyone for me thinking. My wife drove my M3 that I had for 3 years exactly once. And she’s driven my MY that I’ve had a few months also exactly once. All she simply did was put it in drive (after I told her how) and drive it like her Volvo XC90 and didn’t have to interact with the interface at all. I can guarantee you that if I gave her my key card and told her to go for a spin she would have no clue what to do. If she could even figure out how unlock it with the key card.

I guess my point is there are people on the extremes - very simple for me, next to impossible for her (not that she isn’t smart, just not terribly tech savvy nor very interested in tech). And then people fall somewhere in the middle - they can figure it out but they don’t like it.

Interesting discussion for sure and I definitely understand why some people feel so strongly about how poor the interface is.

One thing I see in V11 that has been around in other places is the horrible lack of contrast in fonts. Light gray on slightly darker gray background. WTF!!??? The way Tesla combines that with a 6 point font means we don't need cryptography to protect government secrets. Why would anyone think that is a good idea???

iPhones allow you to make screen text larger or smaller and to make it bold. I’d guess Android phones do as well. It can be simply a matter of preference, or as a nod to aging eyes or other folks that have trouble with near vision. How about giving Tesla owners that option as well?

I agree that on most of the screens at issue there’s an abundance of screen real estate, so no reason for tiny grey font. Why not at least give drivers the option of larger and/or bolder font?

Also, I can’t fathom the logic of making the power/regen line so narrow. Narrow enough I didn’t notice it for a long time. I certainly didn’t notice it became dashed on the left side to indicate limited regen until someone here mentioned it. It could certainly be a lot thicker. I’d prefer a faux analog display for this particular case, as my Clarity had.

But I repeat: as a newbie these are minor quibbles and come nowhere near ruining my overall driving experience. Which I’d still rate a 9.5/10. YRMV!

iPhones allow you to make screen text larger or smaller and to make it bold. I’d guess Android phones do as well. It can be simply a matter of preference, or as a nod to aging eyes or other folks that have trouble with near vision. How about giving Tesla owners that option as well?

I agree that on most of the screens at issue there’s an abundance of screen real estate, so no reason for tiny grey font. Why not at least give drivers the option of larger and/or bolder font?

Also, I can’t fathom the logic of making the power/regen line so narrow. Narrow enough I didn’t notice it for a long time. I certainly didn’t notice it became dashed on the left side to indicate limited regen until someone here mentioned it. It could certainly be a lot thicker. I’d prefer a faux analog display for this particular case, as my Clarity had.

But I repeat: as a newbie these are minor quibbles and come nowhere near ruining my overall driving experience. Which I’d still rate a 9.5/10. YRMV!
Enjoy it while you can, but just wait. Eventually they may ruin/remove something you love about the UI and you will join us :)

I keep seeing people say how hazardous the UI is, but I just don’t see it. Yes, the changes were stupid and should be one click instead of two. But there are those of us who can still operate the car safely just fine with the changes. I guess others can’t and feel it’s a huge distraction. To each their own I suppose. Maybe it’s because I drive a different rental car every week and have to figure out how to adapt quickly to new controls. Or maybe some people just can’t adapt. Who knows?
Tones of people think they personally can safely text and drive as well. And hey, most of them have not gotten into accidents yet because of it. But that does not mean they are not still a menace.

For me whether v11 is "good" or "bad" (it's bad IMO) is besides the point.

It's incredibly unsafe to shift around a vehicle's controls and UI at a whim. Imagine if every 6-12 months BMW suddenly moved all the buttons and speedometers to different places on the dashboard.

It kind of goes without saying, but cars shouldn't have a "learning curve" to use properly. And they certainly shouldn't need to be re-learned, either!

The fact that Tesla even went through with such a push redesign (even if it was GOOD) kind of proves how the company is still run by software people and not those who understand cars, or even common sense.

Aha! They've added more compelling actions to the S3XY buttons. Now they can:

* Increase/decrease fan speed.
* Defog/defrost the windshield.
* Adjust wiper speed.
* Adjust regenerative braking to 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%. (What's the stock level?)
* Turn seat heaters on/off.

I'm up for this!

The Stockholm Syndrome of Tesla users paying for a third party product to bring their vehicle to a normal safe operable standard continues.

I couldn’t agree more! The GPS function is really bad — the time of arrival and how long to destinations are all on the same line in the tiniest hard to read font! The text message function is really bad too — the text is way too small! Plus you can’t see on the screen who you’re texting if you’re using voice command.
Finally, if while using navigation you’re using another app, the direction get moved to the left side of the screen at the bottom so you can’t even see them!! I wish there was option to go back and I hope Elon reads this!
Unlike previous versions, this one is NOT growing on me. Still hate trying to do the easiest of tasks like seat heater, find a different streaming channel, chech tire pressures, having to close the car screen on every.single.drive. The list is long and I am sad.
avr

Tones of people think they personally can safely text and drive as well. And hey, most of them have not gotten into accidents yet because of it. But that does not mean they are not still a menace.
Not sure how you took my post and turned it into comparing me to texting and driving. That is a choice. Using the interface that Tesla has given me on a car I purchased is not a choice, unless I choose not to drive the car. It’s simply my opinion and you can disagree with me all you want. Not everyone has the same level of comfort while driving and having to deal with issues that are outside of their control. I personally am fine using the interface and I feel safe for me and those around me. If you can’t operate it in a safe manner, which you’ve suggested, I hope you aren’t driving your car until Tesla fixes it to the point that you feel you can handle it.

Not sure how you took my post and turned it into comparing me to texting and driving.
I think it's an apt comparison. Consider the situation when you are driving in the mountains in a snow storm, and all of a sudden your windshield fogs up. You have to turn on the defogger quickly because you are starting to not be able to see. The new UI requires easily 5x longer time with your eyes off the road. I say this because it happened to me. Even without having to take my eyes off the road, it was challenging to keep the car within the lines because of the extremely poor visibility. I did it safely, of course, but I am objective enough to know that it is less safe than the old way. Those who say "it's fine, it's not a safety issue" do remind me of people who think it's fine to look at their phones for a couple of seconds while they are driving.

If you can’t operate it in a safe manner, which you’ve suggested, I hope you aren’t driving your car until Tesla fixes it to the point that you feel you can handle it.
I think what many of us are saying is that the new UI requires more time with your eyes off the road in certain situations, which is less safe that it was before. It kinda drives me crazy when people on TMC then tell us to get glasses or stop driving our cars.

I think it's an apt comparison. Consider the situation when you are driving in the mountains in a snow storm, and all of a sudden your windshield fogs up. You have to turn on the defogger quickly because you are starting to not be able to see. The new UI requires easily 5x longer time with your eyes off the road. I say this because it happened to me. Even without having to take my eyes off the road, it was challenging to keep the car within the lines because of the extremely poor visibility. I did it safely, of course, but I am objective enough to know that it is less safe than the old way. Those who say "it's fine, it's not a safety issue" do remind me of people who think it's fine to look at their phones for a couple of seconds while they are driving.

I think what many of us are saying is that the new UI requires more time with your eyes off the road in certain situations, which is less safe that it was before. It kinda drives me crazy when people on TMC then tell us to get glasses or stop driving our cars.
If you would have read my whole post in context you would have realized I never said I think it’s fine and not a safety issue. I said I am “fine” using it as it is as I have no choice until Tesla fixes it. In fact, if you have read any of my other posts I’ve repeatedly said the changes are stupid.

Just because I don’t choose to constantly complain about something I don’t have control over, doesn’t mean I agree with the changes.

And again, taking my post out of context regarding telling people to stop driving. I never said that. I was simply pointing out the fact that the person I was replying to implied I was being a menace for being able to still drive my car as it is. Quite hypocritical if that person continues to drive theirs as it is in the current state.

Last edited:
If you would have read my whole post in context you would have realized I never said I think it’s fine and not a safety issue.
I did read your posts and I don't think I took anything out of context. The relevant one is below.

I keep seeing people say how hazardous the UI is, but I just don’t see it.
In any case it's not my intent to start a flame war. Many of us feel the UI has reduced safety. Thus, my example.

I did read your posts and I don't think I took anything out of context. The relevant one is below.

In any case it's not my intent to start a flame war. Many of us feel the UI has reduced safety. Thus, my example.
Ah all good. Ok my bad. Yes I did say that in a previous post but was looking at the one you quoted. I kinda re thought that and posted something in between both those posts explaining my reasoning. Anyway, doesn’t matter. We are on the same page. And yes, driving over Berthoud certainly doesn’t need to be more difficult than it already is.

Reactions: COS Blue