Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with it was very brief just with my test drive (have a Model 3 LR on order now) but one of the glaring things I noticed was the low positioning of the blind spot camera feed when signaling.

If they put it at the top of the screen it would be much more useful since it’s closer to the same level as the actual mirrors instead of having to look down to the bottom of the screen.

The other thing I noticed with my first impressions was just the relatively small fonts and poor contrast of some of the elements. I can foresee people with less than perfect vision having difficulty seeing things easily.

"Difficulty" is not the word I would use. When it comes to reading the 6 point font for the labels of the icons (which only appear in the setup screen, not on the actual controls), the only way I can read them it to use a magnifier and lean over to put my face closer to the screen.

For anyone with other than 20-20 vision, this is absurd. It's most likely because the same people who design the Tesla screens were designing the current crop of illegible web pages a couple of years ago. The difference is I have a zoom on my computer browser. In the Tesla, the browser barely works, par for the course.

This change still enrages me. And that's not even going into the extra menu clicks or the huge PANEL that obscures everything else as soon as you go into any car menu..
View attachment 777244
Designed by lowest bidder web app developers perhaps? Over time (I've owned Teslas since 2013) the UI seems to be looking more and more like a web app, rather than an automotive UI.

I dunno. I looked at it and reminds me of iDrive in my other car, a BMW. I found all that information displayed on the hype screen 😉 to potentially be a distraction. In any case, it's not what I would do for a UI. The Tesla UI may be too simple but the Mercedes is at the other end of the spectrum.
Actually, with so many crucial functions buried behind multiple clicks and swipes, I would argue that Tesla UI is too complex, not simple. They could learn a few things from MB, for sure.
The most infuriating part is that Tesla has the hardware to make a stellar example of what the car interface of the future could be - by employing the vast accumulated knowledge and hiring experts. The window of opportunity is closing, however.

If you have a problem, solve it. If solving it is not within your power, go somewhere else.

Ha! Who else but a fanboi stan would come to a thread called 'Still hate V11' and tell people to 'go somewhere else' when they don't like v11?

Hey fanboi, why don't you post in the 'I love v11' thread instead? Doh. I guess there isn't one...

Last edited:
1648802137524.jpeg

Phones used by the people that hate v11

“I hate how most phones’ dial page is buried in the menus!!”

Attachments

• 1648802105003.jpeg
    1648802105003.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 56
People defending V11, just stop. You're embarrassing yourselves. This thread will never die as long as the UI shows it's flaws.

Driving this morning, I wanted to check my connectivity, but it could have been any other setting. Click the car icon and I'm greeted with this screen.
PXL_20220401_122916699.jpg

Now the way to fix this is to just press the car icon again to close the huge panel that obstructs everything, and then click it again so that it displays your actual settings.
So what should be two clicks is now four.. for just the display icon that used to be neatly tucked into the right upper corner. You know, like a phone.

People defending V11, just stop. You're embarrassing yourselves. This thread will never die as long as the UI shows it's flaws.

Driving this morning, I wanted to check my connectivity, but it could have been any other setting. Click the car icon and I'm greeted with this screen.View attachment 788731
Now the way to fix this is to just press the car icon again to close the huge panel that obstructs everything, and then click it again so that it displays your actual settings.
So what should be two clicks is now four.. for just the display icon that used to be neatly tucked into the right upper corner. You know, like a phone.
I had this yesterday as it happens! Had to close the huge panel that blocks the full screen then reopen it.

I guess I'm lucky I've never experienced v10 this is my first car and it had v11 on it when I purchased it. Seems pretty intuitive to me and responsive.
Sure there are some things I'd like to change like putting the turn signal camera on the top of the display on the left and right for better visibility. The control tab seems nice to me having everything I need on one screen. Sentry recording was fine with me before I would just honk to record.

In about a year, the people that have experienced software before v11 will be in the minority. I agree that things should always be improved. I just don't think it's as big as a deal as some people make it.

One of the first things a longer Tesla owner will say to a new owner is:

Old Owner: "You know, the software was way better before v11."

New Owner: "v11 software seems fine to me. What's the big deal?"

Reactions: MrSlippery
Let's imagine no one has seen v10, only v11 exists...there is no way someone going to v10 from v11 would say, huh, that v11 was so much better. I really miss how v11 forced me to look away (two times!! just to locate the right set of controls) from the road at EVERY attempt to adjust effing car things. Yes! It's a damn car and needs car controls that are easy and not hidden. AAARRRGGGHHH!

jesus this v11 is such a crock. why does tesla hate us so much? i mean, cmon. this is a seriously flawed "improvement". there is no reason to hide things under a sub-menu. NO REASON. Why?

No one needs to see V10 to understand how bad V11 is.
All they have to do is try to dig the Homelink control out from underneath countless indicators as the garage door is closing on a spouse's trunk. Or discover that the rear seat heater has been on for 3 months because there's no indicator and passengers have been too polite to complain. Or try to remember how to save or view dashcam/sentry recordings. Or heck, just try to read the map in all of it's sparse and pale glory crammed all the way over on the passenger side for no apparent reason.

No one needs to see V10 to understand how bad V11 is.
All they have to do is try to dig the Homelink control out from underneath countless indicators as the garage door is closing on a spouse's trunk. Or discover that the rear seat heater has been on for 3 months because there's no indicator and passengers have been too polite to complain. Or try to remember how to save or view dashcam/sentry recordings. Or heck, just try to read the map in all of it's sparse and pale glory crammed all the way over on the passenger side for no apparent reason.
homelink pops up on my main screen when i'm close to the house or in the garage. I have two big buttons under the picture of the tesla. It's actually pretty slick. Has my name and my wifes for the respective side of the garage. Don't know how it would handle more than two doors.

oh and you can swap the map and car by holding and dragging the window.
Dashcam I just hit the horn but they did just update that so you can put it on your toolbar by clicking and dragging it where you want it.
haven't found anything for the seat heaters I don't use the rear often but voice commands work well for the entire car on or off.

Last edited:
Yes, but Homelink disappears if you put on your turn signal (as people sometimes do when turning into their driveway), or if you're on the phone, or if a text comes in, or if you're adjusting the climate, or if anyone in the car isn't wearing a seatbelt, or...
Makes sense wonder if you can drag that around like other things? I can't wait for the voice commands for it that'll be nice. I guess you can leave your control card up since you don't need a map in front of your garage.
The buttons not being visible while going in to the garage on the phone may be a good thing for me. I don't know how many times my wife has been talking to her sister while pulling in and hit something or closed the garage door with an open hatch then the garage door hits it closed. That'll be nice if it makes my wife get off the phone :)