Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem occurs when you've left your trunk/hatch open as you're unloading and your wife arrives (on the phone). Her Homelink will trigger the door to start closing on your trunk while she scrambles to figure out why the button to stop it is suddenly missing and how to make it reappear.

Or when you're both heading to work at the same time but you haven't yet buckled your seatbelt. Your Homelink triggers and starts to close the door just before she backs out of the garage. You can't stop it because the control is hidden by the seatbelt indicator, and she doesn't know it's halfway down because she's only looking at the camera.

Yes, you quickly learn how to swipe all the indicators out of the way and dig out the Homelink control, but even that can still take too long to remember and execute while driving.

Last edited:
The problem occurs when you've left your trunk/hatch open as you're unloading and your wife arrives (on the phone). Her Homelink will trigger and start to close the door on your trunk while she scrambles to figure out why the Homelink control is missing and how to make it appear.

Or when you're both heading to work at the same time but you haven't yet buckled your seatbelt. Homelink triggers and starts to close the door just before she backs out of the garage. You can't stop it because the control is hidden by the seatbelt indicator, and she doesn't know it's halfway down because she's only looking at the camera.
How dare you bring a real world use case to the world of the 12 year old designers. padded walls and plush toys are the only things they know.

The problem occurs when you've left your trunk/hatch open as you're unloading and your wife arrives (on the phone). Her Homelink will trigger and start to close the door on your trunk while she scrambles to figure out why the Homelink control is missing and how to make it appear.

Or when you're both heading to work at the same time but you haven't yet buckled your seatbelt. Homelink triggers and starts to close the door just before she backs out of the garage. You can't stop it because the control is hidden by the seatbelt indicator, and she doesn't know it's halfway down because she's only looking at the camera.
yeah I would never use auto I just use the big buttons that are always under your car icon. The hatch thing is just her pressing the button on the wall without closing the hatch because she's to busy on the phone.

wish they would add more of this window movement that you see in the first couple seconds.
Maybe resize and pin multiple screens that you like on the display. There is no one size fits all so if everyone could tailor things the way they like people would be happier. I didn't even realize that the screens and icons can be moved around already.

Sure, you can just accept the fact that the UI is so fatally flawed that it's unsafe to use certain features like auto-Homelink but that still doesn't solve the problem because the "big buttons" are not "always under your car icon." They are only there randomly sometimes. So yeah, you might not auto-close the door on your sleeping dog but then again you might get rear-ended when you stop in the middle of your street trying to figure out where the Homelink button went.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sure, you can just accept the fact that the UI is so fatally flawed that it's unsafe to use certain features like auto-Homelink but that still doesn't solve the problem because the "big buttons" are not "always under your car icon." They are only there randomly sometimes. So yeah, you might not auto-close the door on your sleeping dog but then again you might get rear-ended when you stop in the middle of your street trying to figure out where the Homelink button went.
I wonder if you're seeing the issue I had where my garage is so far from the house the car thinks it's at another address. I set my home location to where the car thinks it is not where I actually am. No issue with the button a long distance away from my home. As for homelink that tech is so damn old something newer should come out that actually accounts for open and close not just sending a random signal.

Unlike previous versions, this one is NOT growing on me. Still hate trying to do the easiest of tasks like seat heater, find a different streaming channel, chech tire pressures, having to close the car screen on every.single.drive. The list is long and I am sad.

The removal of the seat heater icons from the home screen was (and still is) so stupid. I mean there's space to put them back on the home screen FFS, but that space remains unused. Sooooooo stupid.

The removal of the seat heater icons from the home screen was (and still is) so stupid. I mean there's space to put them back on the home screen FFS, but that space remains unused. Sooooooo stupid.
Yeah in PA some custom options would be nice. I'm sure people in hot climates used to think that it was stupid that they had to look at them when they never ever used them. Hmm maybe if the temp is below some temp you could set them to appear that would be nice

Reactions: smogne41
Crappy picture but it looks like it pops on at 200ft shame there aren't some settings to increase the distance or even set a location when you want it to appear. I guess they figure this 50 year old tech can't go that far anyway.

1648851563055.png

You missed my point @OliverM3 I'm not referring to the fact that Homelink comes and goes as needed, I'm noting that it's often blocked because someone sent you a text or someone took off their seatbelt, or any number of random senseless reasons.
No i gotcha I'm typically not doing all that texting or having people removing seatbelts when I'm parking. sure it may happen a couple times but it's an easy fix with an update. Tweet Elon and tell him to move the buttons or have them in the foreground. or just pull up to your house with the controls card up.
They need like a suggestion box so they can see what floats to the top as the most requested fixes.

View attachment 788699
Phones used by the people that hate v11

“I hate how most phones’ dial page is buried in the menus!!”

Actually, you laugh. A friend is legally blind and can only see very large lettering. These numbers would be very hard or impossible for him to read. He has a cordless house phone and wanted me to program the speed dial since he can feel his way around the keypad. The damn thing has a 200 number directory you use through the menu, but no speed dial! Fortunately, the phone company has a speed dial he can use.

As for my smart phone, that's one of the many problems of using a computer for a phone. Dialing a number is either very easy, "Call Capital One" or very hard, "the damn thing won't open the menu again. I have to restart it.". That's just how Teslas work. Either very easy, or very, very hard.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
In about a year, the people that have experienced software before v11 will be in the minority. I agree that things should always be improved. I just don't think it's as big as a deal as some people make it.

One of the first things a longer Tesla owner will say to a new owner is:

Old Owner: "You know, the software was way better before v11."

New Owner: "v11 software seems fine to me. What's the big deal?"

Cell phones are actually a great analogy. I recall a Dave Barry jab to cell phones, 'Cell phones are those things you yell into, "What? What?"'

• Funny
Reactions: house9
How dare you bring a real world use case to the world of the 12 year old designers. padded walls and plush toys are the only things they know.

Can't you guys just push the button on the thing clipped to the sun visor? Do you have sun visors? My X has them, but I don't think I could clip anything to them, they fold in half when not in use.

No i gotcha I'm typically not doing all that texting or having people removing seatbelts when I'm parking. sure it may happen a couple times but it's an easy fix with an update. Tweet Elon and tell him to move the buttons or have them in the foreground. or just pull up to your house with the controls card up.
They need like a suggestion box so they can see what floats to the top as the most requested fixes.

Or, they could actually use the damn software before they unleash it on the public. Did they do a beta of V11 and get user feedback? How did they select that group?

oh and you can swap the map and car by holding and dragging the window.

How? I tried tapping and long-pressing various parts of the screen with 1 or more fingers. No luck. (2020 Model 3 LR w/o FSD s/w.)

Here's what the Model 3 Owner's Manual says:

Car status: ...

When full self-driving is enabled (if equipped), the car status area displays visualizations of the road and your vehicle's surroundings. You can expand/condense the visualization by dragging the car status area from side to side.

Does "if [FSD] equipped" also apply to "You can expand/condense the visualization..."? I'd love to move & condense the car status visualization.

Reactions: house9
How? I tried tapping and long-pressing various parts of the screen with 1 or more fingers. No luck. (2020 Model 3 LR w/o FSD s/w.)

Here's what the Model 3 Owner's Manual says:

Does "if [FSD] equipped" also apply to "You can expand/condense the visualization..."? I'd love to move & condense the car status visualization.
Yeah I don't get it the video show things moving around haven't figured it out. Maybe something coming?

Or, they could actually use the damn software before they unleash it on the public. Did they do a beta of V11 and get user feedback? How did they select that group?
same way VW tests car exhaust. they put about 10 monkeys in an airtight room, breathing car exhaust, and using v11. because they didn't die within 2 hours, v11 was pushed to market.