Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 788699
Phones used by the people that hate v11

“I hate how most phones’ dial page is buried in the menus!!”
I get what you are trying to say here except smart phones today are used less for calling so it's okay that the dial page is not on the front.

In fact, the last time I dialed out using the dial pad was probably never ago.

On my iPhone, my 4 bottom shortcuts are Maps, Chrome, iMessage and the Tesla App (which used to be the Phone app but never used it).

That 4th app should be FanTrax but now that the fantasy NBA season is over... no need. :)

But that's the point... the things we use the most should be up front, not 2 or 3 presses in... Climate > Seat Heater > Climate Off... bleh.

I've complained a thousand times in this thread about the inanity of Homelink being blocked by any/every stupid indicator imaginable. But with 2022.8.2 they have now given Homelink priority over the phone and seatbelt indicator. Progress!
Of course it's still blocked by the turn signal and climate control but at least those functions are more obviously controllable and the fix isn't as trivial so I expect they wont address it until the next overhaul.

Still, it's great news to know that someone on Tesla's UI team was fired - and will hopefully never work in the industry again. That's a win-win for everyone.

Reactions: Boza
Still, it's great news to know that someone on Tesla's UI team was fired - and will hopefully never work in the industry again. That's a win-win for everyone.
Wow, I hadn't heard that tidbit of most excellent news, but that means there's hope for us yet!

Maybe soon I'll be able to EASILY have AC on, heat on, AND recirculate on - all at the same time so I can defog the windscreen and keep out the toxic cloud of diesel exhaust from the pickup truck in front of me. After the 2022.4.5.17 update on 3/18/22 I was able to futz with the whack-a-mole horror show that climate control is, and I WAS able to get what I needed: AC on, recirculate on, defog on, heat on.

Last edited:
it's great news to know that someone on Tesla's UI team was fired - and will hopefully never work in the industry again. That's a win-win for everyone.
Not how it works. Dude (dudette?) got promoted, as more frequently happens in cases of problem children. Now running the drivetrain design works. Can’t wait to see the 2024 Model 3 with its RWD hidden behind the driver’s sun visor vanity mirror.

• Funny
Reactions: Boza and Lonewulf45
I get what you are trying to say here except smart phones today are used less for calling so it's okay that the dial page is not on the front.

In fact, the last time I dialed out using the dial pad was probably never ago.

On my iPhone, my 4 bottom shortcuts are Maps, Chrome, iMessage and the Tesla App (which used to be the Phone app but never used it).

That 4th app should be FanTrax but now that the fantasy NBA season is over... no need. :)

But that's the point... the things we use the most should be up front, not 2 or 3 presses in... Climate > Seat Heater > Climate Off... bleh.

I must be a dinosaur then. I use the phone as a phone more than any other purpose... well, if you don't count plugging it in as the navigation device in my car. But that's not an interactive use, well, not with the phone. When I do use the phone, it is mostly to answer a spam call since even with the billions of dollars spent on cell phone development every year, they can't seem to do anything to prevent calls from spammers ringing my phone and allowing them to leave blank messages that I have to clear off. At least with my old desk phone, the spammers either got me, or they got bupkis. They couldn't leave little turds on the answering machine.

Wow, I hadn't heard that tidbit of most excellent news, but that means there's hope for us yet!

Maybe soon I'll be able to EASILY have AC on, heat on, AND recirculate on - all at the same time so I can defog the windscreen and keep out the toxic cloud of diesel exhaust from the pickup truck in front of me. After the 2022.4.5.17 update on 3/18/22 I was able to futz with the whack-a-mole horror show that climate control is, and I WAS able to get what I needed: AC on, recirculate on, defog on, heat on.

There's no need to cheer the firing of someone (and most likely not true anyway). The Japanese don't fire people unless the mistake is very egregious. They are retrained.

Of course there's always reeducation in room 101 I suppose.

But really, there's no one person to be blamed for any of the UI. The look and feel is determined by management and parceled out to the development team members to implement. "I was only following orders!"

The look and feel is determined by management and parceled out to the development team members to implement. "I was only following orders!"

We wouldn't actually know this without insider information though... it's certainly not how many places I've worked at operate.

From what I've read about Tesla, they cut out middle management layers and give a lot of autonomy. It's totally possible that a small group of people made all of the design decisions. It's also totally possible that none of those people actually drive a Tesla. It's also totally possible that all of their coworkers/managers that do drive a Tesla don't use climate controls often enough to create internal company pressure to fix the things that v11 really trashed.

We wouldn't actually know this without insider information though... it's certainly not how many places I've worked at operate.

From what I've read about Tesla, they cut out middle management layers and give a lot of autonomy. It's totally possible that a small group of people made all of the design decisions. It's also totally possible that none of those people actually drive a Tesla. It's also totally possible that all of their coworkers/managers that do drive a Tesla don't use climate controls often enough to create internal company pressure to fix the things that v11 really trashed.

I very seriously doubt that. There may be a streamlined management structure, in particular in the factory. I just don't think they are going to leave a redesign effort for the entire UI to a small group of developers without review by upper management. That would simply be insane. If that is how they are running the company, I have no further faith in it.

I very seriously doubt that. There may be a streamlined management structure, in particular in the factory. I just don't think they are going to leave a redesign effort for the entire UI to a small group of developers without review by upper management. That would simply be insane. If that is how they are running the company, I have no further faith in it.

Well then management, who previously thought it was a good idea to have one-touch controls for seat heaters and defrosters, somehow thought that it was okay to get rid of them.

Is it fickleness? Or did they someone "learn" that no one used those useless climate controls? Or did they just not care because "ooh... color icons"?

My guess is, there's not a lot of oversight. A handful of people designed the new UI without testing it in a car, and without the experi nice of the prior iterations that Tesla's UI had gone through. They were primarily (and perhaps almost only) concerned with how it *looked*.

Tesla lost a long-time UI person in 2021... and those that took over are destroying things.

Reactions: finman100
I am not sure which is the more comforting scenario: V11 is the result of A) incompetence, or B) intentional design. Both suck.
Let me know when your EV is out so I can buy one :) Not saying it's the case but we've often done huge shifts in a framework and just provided minimum functionality temporarily because it was a better product direction that would offer infinitely more flexibility in the long run. May not be the case with v11 but do you really think this is the end?

Last edited:
I've complained a thousand times in this thread about the inanity of Homelink being blocked by any/every stupid indicator imaginable. But with 2022.8.2 they have now given Homelink priority over the phone and seatbelt indicator. Progress!
Of course it's still blocked by the turn signal and climate control but at least those functions are more obviously controllable and the fix isn't as trivial so I expect they wont address it until the next overhaul.

I turned off that turn camera ages ago....then again I never try and access my homelink when I'm in a turn

Let me know when your EV is out so I can buy one :) Not saying it's the case but we've often done huge shifts in a framework and just provided minimum functionality temporarily because it was a better product direction that would offer infinitely more flexibility in the long run. May not be the case with v11 but do you really think this is the end?
I have no idea what will come next. Things could get better. They could also clearly get worse. But regression in driver controls sucks big time. And since Tesla has NO communication with owners (and no real evidence they are listening to feedback) we have absolutely no idea what they are doing, what they are planing, or what the hell the overall design 'vision' is here (if any). A simple 'we have heard your feedback, and this, this, and this are coming soon to address it' would do a lot to help. But we don't get that. And also, things like changes to the driving interface should never be a surprise. We should know all of that months ahead of time. Easter eggs and such are great, but the location of my 'effing defrost button should never be that. Tesla has had almost a whole quarter to address the major complaints about V11 (seat heaters, defrost, defog, fog lights, wiper button), and they have done nothing on any of that, and have given absolutely no indications they ever will. The guy that actually showed a great mockup video of an easy scheme to fix all those issues was just completely dismissed by Elon, so yeah, I don't have much confidence in or goodwill toward Tesla at this point. I would love to be a fan again, but right now I am not.

"A simple 'we have heard your feedback, and this, this, and this are coming soon to address it' would do a lot to help. But we don't get that."

This is the gist of my complaints against Tesla in a nutshell. It would be so easy for a multi-billion dollar company like Tesla to at least pretend to care about their customers. To spend a pittance on a public relations dept so we know what their plans are. Instead they do nothing and say nothing. Why? I'm now convinced it's because they really just don't give a rat's ass what their customers think. And I, for one, do not appreciate it in the slightest. I'll be voting with my wallet on that attitude when it comes time to replace my car...