Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still hate v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ianc @smogne41 I thought one of the reasons everyone loved Tesla was the constant software updates? I figured I was buying an Apple car and I will always get what "they" think is best and will have to adapt. I would like to see some customization because everyone isn't the same and in the same situation or climate. So a one size fits all in a car is difficult. Well with a touchscreen anyway.

I hate the Yoke as well even though people seem to love it. That's so strange to me.

Let's face it, Elon has become more eccentric and as drivers of his cars we are dealing with the consequences. It's not just the UI.
Spotty drizzle today in PA and the automatic wipers still don't work because he took something simple like a sensor and made it complicated. A "neural network" will never work in microclimates, so you have to push the stalk and find the button setting which takes your eyes off the road. You put autopilot on thinking it will use auto wipers because it can't see, but that never happens. Full disclosure, I still haven't updated to 8.2 which may have tweaks and fixes which of course none of us will ever learn about other than trial and error.
But I digress, this is supposed to be about the UI disaster. I think the most infuriating part is that it's such a great EV to drive, they just need to make better decisions and fix what they ruin.

why even bother with 2 pt font for the cancel "button" on the stupid new garage door location (sandwiched between the activate button and the temp setting, REALLY!!??) when it's IMPOSSIBLE to hit it when trying to stop the garage door from closing on someone. i hit the climate control the other day whilst the garage door happily continues to close when i don't want it to. stupid stupid stupid. times 10. or to 11 as it were.

I thought one of the reasons everyone loved Tesla was the constant software updates?
No, not everyone. I used to literally run to the car when the first updates were reported. I talked with the service center people and confirmed on the low-down that their WiFi would auto-connect and pull updates immediately, so I'd park outside and wait. (This was ages ago, and is no longer the case - kind of like actually talking to anybody.) Heady times.
Then the quality of updates dropped off, features started going away, and highly questionable changes started showing up. Now I haven't updated voluntarily in years. Each forced update is gutting.

No, not everyone. I used to literally run to the car when the first updates were reported. I talked with the service center people and confirmed on the low-down that their WiFi would auto-connect and pull updates immediately, so I'd park outside and wait. (This was ages ago, and is no longer the case - kind of like actually talking to anybody.) Heady times.
Then the quality of updates dropped off, features started going away, and highly questionable changes started showing up. Now I haven't updated voluntarily in years. Each forced update is gutting.
Can they force an update if you turn off wi-fi and delete your saved connection? I can see how updates could get annoying if you're super happy with the way things are now.

Don’t compare Apple attention to details (now; they had some issues eons ago) to the startup-like Tesla approach to software. The UI is almost like an afterthought which is a pity because they are missing on a great opportunity there.

Can they force an update if you turn off wi-fi and delete your saved connection? I can see how updates could get annoying if you're super happy with the way things are now.
Yes, that is how I got V11. I read the first impressions here and decided to wait for the things to shake out first. Disabled wifi and diligently declined the updates. Then, one day the clock turned black and the next morning I was driving with open windows in sub-zero weather because I could not find the damn window defogger.

Reactions: Lonewulf45
Well then management, who previously thought it was a good idea to have one-touch controls for seat heaters and defrosters, somehow thought that it was okay to get rid of them.

Is it fickleness? Or did they someone "learn" that no one used those useless climate controls? Or did they just not care because "ooh... color icons"?

My guess is, there's not a lot of oversight. A handful of people designed the new UI without testing it in a car, and without the experi nice of the prior iterations that Tesla's UI had gone through. They were primarily (and perhaps almost only) concerned with how it *looked*.

Tesla lost a long-time UI person in 2021... and those that took over are destroying things.

I think it is virtually impossible that something as critical to a product as the UI is managed by low level programmers. I don't see any reason why a higher level management team could not be seduced by the "image" of a new UI any less so than a low level team of developers.

Here's the big reason why I believe a higher level management team is ultimately responsible for the UI design. If it turns out to be another "new Coke", they are the ones who will lose their jobs. Of course, the difference is Coca Cola managed to turn it around and make it work for them. I don't think that's going to happen to Tesla.

Jeeze, I drove the car today and nearly got in a wreck trying to find climate controls. Someone mentioned being able to recirculate air in the car. I couldn't find that control to save my life. I had to hit "bio hazard" mode to keep the truck stink out, but of course, by then it was too late.

This update has turned my car into a POS, in my opinion. It goes back to Teslas being not so much "smart" cars, but cell phones with wheels. This is no small part of why I think, in the next few years, as the other automakers pump out more models of BEVs, Tesla will lose dominance. The big iron has sold the cars they sell because that's what most people want to buy. Tesla may get us hooked on BEVs, but I don't think Tesla is going to win the UI race, and that's ultimately what is going to sell BEVs. Hell, it took me five minutes to find some control setting in the menu today.

I like to switch to “avoid toll” roads while navigating to certain destinations. Before that option was one click away now you have to press additional settings tab…why?

Like many things v11, things that were good were replaced with things that are bad. Poor choices everywhere.

Someone was concerned with how things *looked* without much thought about how they function... so they "cleaned" it up. It's so "clean" now. A nice "clean" UI. Buttons be gone.

Maybe this will hold you over so you can keep your butts warm while driving :)
Many people have touted voice commands as the solution but they are essentially an unreliable, imperfect workaround. In addition, there is no ‘official’ list of voice commands, Tesla has removed voice commands in the past and there are many, many intuitive commands that just don’t work or don’t work unless you use the exact wording.

Bottom line: voice commands are not a solution or an excuse for poor interface design.

Many people have touted voice commands as the solution but they are essentially an unreliable, imperfect workaround. In addition, there is no ‘official’ list of voice commands, Tesla has removed voice commands in the past and there are many, many intuitive commands that just don’t work or don’t work unless you use the exact wording.

Bottom line: voice commands are not a solution or an excuse for poor interface design.
I'm saying to hold you over. The fix to add buttons back has already been announced. The next version says that you'll be able to add your buttons back.

Reactions: sleepydoc