Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still leaking after 4 service attempts...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

after four weeks in the shop, and four service visits for hatch alignment and leaking issues, I picked up my my Y today, and the service center assured me they had tested it and that it was finally fixed. I ran a few errands, brought it home, ran a hose over the back, and it is leaking just as badly as before. Sigh.

Time to escalate beyond the service center, and get serious about them taking this lemon back. otherwise, I love the car, but I’m so disappointed both in the quality, and in the inability of the service center to fix it. It is an early build, from May, so likely in the batch of cars before everything was worked out. Lesson learned.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DennyL and firerock
Any ideas from anyone on how to run this up the chain? Every time I bring it to the service center, they tell me that they will just fix it, so I am really getting nowhere with them. Should I just contact the customer service number on Tesla’s website?

I remember when the options to escalate service related concerns was right on my Tesla account page when I logged in. That didn't last long

From Tesla's Owner's Rights Notification (for CA only):

Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1793.2(d), if this vehicle does not conform to its applicable warranties, and Tesla has not repaired the vehicle after a reasonable number of repair attempts, you may be entitled to a replacement or refund under the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, less an offset for the mileage accumulated before the first repair of the nonconformity. California Civil Code Section 1793.22(b) presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of repair attempts to conform the vehicle to its applicable warranties if within the first 18 months from delivery or the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first, (1) Tesla has made at least two unsuccessful repair attempts on a nonconformity that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven; OR (2) Tesla has made four or more unsuccessful repair attempts on the same nonconformity (i.e., a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle); OR (3) the vehicle has been out of service for the repair of nonconformity for more than 30 calendar days. In the case of (1) or (2) above, if you want the presumption to apply, you must send written notice of the need to repair the nonconformity or non-conformities directly to Tesla at the address listed below. Tesla offers its customers third-party arbitration through the dispute settlement program, a complaint resolution service administered by the National Center for Dispute Settlement. For additional information about the dispute settlement program, see the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for your vehicle or contact Tesla at the address or toll-free number indicated below. Additional information regarding arbitration of disputes in California may be included with your new vehicle at delivery. Such information may also be obtained from:

Tesla Motors, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California 94304
Attention: Vehicle Service
1-877-77-TESLA (1-877-778-3752)

The Lemon law predates Tesla and is there for good reason.
This is Tesla's problem and they don't need you to be involved.
Get them to send you a new car and let them figure this out themselves.

after four weeks in the shop, and four service visits for hatch alignment and leaking issues, I picked up my my Y today, and the service center assured me they had tested it and that it was finally fixed. I ran a few errands, brought it home, ran a hose over the back, and it is leaking just as badly as before. Sigh.

Time to escalate beyond the service center, and get serious about them taking this lemon back. otherwise, I love the car, but I’m so disappointed both in the quality, and in the inability of the service center to fix it. It is an early build, from May, so likely in the batch of cars before everything was worked out. Lesson learned.

This must be so frustrating. Sorry to hear all your issues and hope it gets resolved. Please keep us updated.

Don't trust the repair, even if it's working immediately after the repair, there's no guarantee that it'll be leak proof years down the road. If you keep the car, you'll be constantly checking the spot during rain storms to see if it's leaking even months/years after they fixed it. Just file a lemon and let Tesla replace it.
If you do get a replacement, please do share the last six digit of the Vin # so we here on the forum know not to buy your car.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Any ideas from anyone on how to run this up the chain? Every time I bring it to the service center, they tell me that they will just fix it, so I am really getting nowhere with them. Should I just contact the customer service number on Tesla’s website?

I believe you would run this up the chain by contacting a Lemon Law attorney. Every state is different, in my state the attorney gets paid by the manufacturer, the consumer pays no money out of pocket.

Reactions: Kelr316
Just think how pissed the OP would be - if he had spent roughly 2x as much for the model X and all the its leaks (& assorted other warts) that they had - in the early days - some 4 or so years ago. Of course - the trade-off was back then, the lines & wait times to get into the shop werr 2X to 3X shorter. Pick your poison.
;)