Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still No Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2017 75D with HW 2.5 and MCU 1 and still have no dashcam after the most recent updates. I have tried rebooting the MCU, reformatting the drive and changing USB ports but still no luck. When I try to reformat in the X the option is greyed out. When parked it says sentry is active but wont actually record any events. Everything was working fine before.

Any tips or tricks I havent tried? Am I alone in this or is this common.

MCU1 supports dashcam. It only saves to the drive. You must view the recordings via a PC.
Hm, then why I don't have it? Even no option for dashcam in the menu

Also, the manual says that cars with a production date after August 2017 are able to use cameras as a dashcam

Attachments

• 4A107339-FDD6-4CFA-9A94-D03DBBCF14A0.jpeg
    4A107339-FDD6-4CFA-9A94-D03DBBCF14A0.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hm, then why I don't have it? Even no option for dashcam in the menu

Also, the manual says that cars with a production date after August 2017 are able to use cameras as a dashcam
Answered upthread

To elaborate, August 2017 is when AP2.5 was released. MCU2 wasn't released until later. FSD upgrade from AP2.0 also provides dashcam, but backup camera is not included in dashcam footage until MCU2. Additionally, some users who had AP2.0 FSD upgrade indicate that connecting USB storage leads to a severe MCU1 performance penalty in that particular hardware combo.

Since @Mandarin is disagreeing with my factual posts above, I will provide some evidence for those who want facts.

1) I bought a July 2017 X in September of 2017. It has AP2.5 (so I said August is when it was released, but I meant across the fleet, getting it in a July build was hit or miss). The dashcam feature was released later, before MCU2 was even a thing, and I immediately started using it. It did not include the backup camera even though you could see that camera on the MCU screen when backing up. I am still using the dashcam feature on MCU1 with AP2.5 because I haven't had the AP3 and/or MCU2 upgrades performed yet, it still doesn't include the backup camera. This wouldn't be possible if dashcam only worked on MCU2 has he claims.

2) This quote is my source regarding the capability actually being related to AP version and not MCU version:
'16 AP3.0(FSD) MCU1 - I have had the upgrade with MCU1 for over a month and a 3200 mile road trip under my belt. The MCU1 lag with FSD chip is due to the dashcam in my experience. With the USB drive inserted in the port immediately lags the MCU regardless of it actively recording or not. It only needs to be inserted. When I remove the USB drive from the port all the lag goes away. In fact, the MCU acts as before the upgrade. So, if you are experiencing lag more than before, remove your usb drive. If a usb drive is not inserted, you must have some other hardware issue going on and should be covered under warranty. If you do not have a warranty, then you will shell out for the repair. I personally can live with the lag with dashcam enabled. With that being said, all current FSD functions, stop light and NOA, work great without any issues.
To emphasize, in this post, the OP says "'16 AP3.0(FSD) MCU1 - I have had the upgrade with MCU1 for over a month and a 3200 mile road trip under my belt. The MCU1 lag with FSD chip is due to the dashcam in my experience." Much like in my first evidential statement, it wouldn't be possible for this user to have dashcam in that configuration if dashcam only worked on MCU2 as the disagreeing user is so absolutely certain of.